Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
But the public isn’t stupid. Far from it. If we are told there is a shortage we react rationally by ensuring we don’t miss out. This means bringing forward future purchases thereby making the situation worse. The problem has been caused by the perception of shortage and that is down to the media.

Sorry, while the original story was irresponsible in the way it was nuanced, the ensuing information that it was only a few stations affected should have calmed things down, but the public did what the public does best - think of number one and **** everyone else!

We simply can't be trusted to be responsible and do the right thing!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Sorry, while the original story was irresponsible in the way it was nuanced, the ensuing information that it was only a few stations affected should have calmed things down, but the public did what the public does best - think of number one and **** everyone else!

It highlights the absolute priority we place on our cars over all else. I don’t think people have been stupid, culturally we think we need our car for literally everything. We’ll tear down cycle lanes because people have to be able to drive 2 miles a bit quicker.

I guarantee you most people will feel their world collapse if they can’t use their car - how will I get the kids to school, how will I get the shopping, how will I get to my exercise class, how will I get to my place of work 5 miles away….

Yeah sure it’s essential for many, but for a huge number it isn’t, but they filled up over the weekend so they don’t miss their Wednesday Big Shop.

We’ve created this as a society. Car car car car. Of course people are going to panic fill them. Not stupid, just what we have in every decision we prioritise the car.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But the public isn’t stupid. Far from it. If we are told there is a shortage we react rationally by ensuring we don’t miss out. This means bringing forward future purchases thereby making the situation worse. The problem has been caused by the perception of shortage and that is down to the media.

Or is it down to the fact that apparently BP released a statement saying they had closed a handful of forecourts due to driver shortages. HGV driver shortages has been a media story for some time now and this was another element of it. The initial reports on ITV and BBC didn't, as far as I'm aware, report any fuel shortage. The subsequent scare stories in the print media are probably what induced the frenzy.

Did BP release the statement to try and force the Government to do something about the shortage? Had the Government been warned about this months ago and have done nothing hence the BP statement? Who knows, but I think this is a case of 'don't shoot the messenger' in respect of BBC and ITV.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

[MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION] tried to do ‘the right thing’ and in the post above yours explains he cannot now get petrol. The fear of being in that position was fed by media coverage. My wife told me that she was listening to Nick Ferrari on LBC on her way into work last week and he was urging people to buy petrol. James O’Brien was feeding it by exaggerating the HGV driver shortage because he can’t get over Brexit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It highlights the absolute priority we place on our cars over all else. I don’t think people have been stupid, culturally we think we need our car for literally everything. We’ll tear down cycle lanes because people have to be able to drive 2 miles a bit quicker.

I guarantee you most people will feel their world collapse if they can’t use their car - how will I get the kids to school, how will I get the shopping, how will I get to my exercise class, how will I get to my place of work 5 miles away….

Yeah sure it’s essential for many, but for a huge number it isn’t, but they filled up over the weekend so they don’t miss their Wednesday Big Shop.

We’ve created this as a society. Car car car car. Of course people are going to panic fill them. Not stupid, just what we have in every decision we prioritise the car.

Not stupid ?

https://www.facebook.com/605701822/posts/10159804371261823/

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Soon no one will have fuel, so no one will be able to get to supermarkets to notice the empty shelves.

It's a lockdown without a lockdown being imposed.

Nice way to get Covid figures down I guess without upsetting the anti-lockdown parts of the tory party.

And they can blame the peasants.

Utter shambles.

Get a grip, Johnson.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There is no way we go all electric it’s impossible, they will never develop a battery that will get an HGV moving more than a few miles.

Erm...

Tesla’s heavy goods vehicle (HGV) highlights the growing capabilities of electric vehicles (EVs) to deliver more than just short, urban journeys. It claims its Semi will be able to travel 500 miles on a single charge (enough to get you from London to Edinburgh comfortably) and tow 40 tonnes of cargo.

https://www.drax.com/electrification/can-electricity-power-heavy-duty-vehicles/

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/daf-electric-lorry-delivered/

And haven't you noticed the electric buses in Brighton and elsewhere? https://www.buses.co.uk/30-new-electric-buses-brighton-hove

There's no reason to think the tech won't improve over the next few years as governments around the world try to phase out petrol/diesel vehicles.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Or is it down to the fact that apparently BP released a statement saying they had closed a handful of forecourts due to driver shortages. HGV driver shortages has been a media story for some time now and this was another element of it. The initial reports on ITV and BBC didn't, as far as I'm aware, report any fuel shortage. The subsequent scare stories in the print media are probably what induced the frenzy.

Did BP release the statement to try and force the Government to do something about the shortage? Had the Government been warned about this months ago and have done nothing hence the BP statement? Who knows, but I think this is a case of 'don't shoot the messenger' in respect of BBC and ITV.

Yes, I agree that BP are also culpable. There has clearly been a targeted business campaign to put pressure on the Government over the HGV driver shortage. Iceland etc have been a part of this. The media are not entirely to blame but perhaps they need to realize when they are being used. There is also a major issue in my mind with their power to create and feed the story.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The public is all kinds of stupid because of the reasons you mentioned - it keeps listening to what its told by media and governments. No independent thought.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
[MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION] tried to do ‘the right thing’ and in the post above yours explains he cannot now get petrol. The fear of being in that position was fed by media coverage. My wife told me that she was listening to Nick Ferrari on LBC on her way into work last week and he was urging people to buy petrol. James O’Brien was feeding it by exaggerating the HGV driver shortage because he can’t get over Brexit.

Northern Ireland has been hit as hard as anywhere by Covid and yet has had no issues with petrol or diesel supplies. Most likely explanation is that no one listens to LBC over there.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Northern Ireland has been hit as hard as anywhere by Covid and yet has had no issues with petrol or diesel supplies. Most likely explanation is that no one listens to LBC over there.
But we are told everywhere has the same problem.

Are they attempting to gaslight us ? ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I suspect he does think media coverage shapes events but only when it suits his own views. Daily Mail whipping up a panic about immigrants….blame the media. BBC whipping up a panic about supposed fuel shortage…. Blame err Brexit. All parts of the media play to their constituency and BBC News has rather been guilty over this issue which is disappointing to those of us who are generally supportive but not impressed by the events of the past few days.

And yet there are a number of people on this thread who have been queuing for petrol and all claim not to be morons, not to read the Daily Mail and to have not voted for Brexit. It’s just so strange…

We stopped EU drivers working here because of Brexit exacerbating and worsening an already developing situation with a shortage of HGV drivers. Our emergency measure to try and alleviate this is to U-Turn and ask EU drivers to come back, but you don't think people should mention Brexit ?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks :wink:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But that is massively different to what Justice was claiming. His claim was that the Taliban and Chinese had done a deal to disrupt oil supplies - that article says that instability in the area could force fuel prices up and make fuel supply more volatile - a very different animal in my opinion.

Also, Justice does appear to veer towards the conspiracy theory end of things, rather than an acceptance that this has been caused in the UK by an incompetent government and stupid greedy people.
Please show me evidence of my supposed conspiracy theory beliefs. In my original post I clearly stated I said it jokingly to wind up a few young labourers on-site. What is wrong with you?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

We knew leaving would be difficult, and this is the upshot. We've approached leaving the EU like everything is going to be fine, instead of saying; we have a lot of EU workers in this sector, so we need an urgent plan of training, incentives and planning to cover the shortfall. The deal we've struck is going to mean this, this and this. Instead we got 'it's a great deal, let's get on with it'. So now we are getting on with it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Whereas you have a complete blindspot to its consequences.

No, I can see very clearly the same bitter people from five years ago all over anything that makes them feel superior. Hence all the comments about stupidity and the attempts to crowbar Brexit into a cause of any problem. On another thread a lorry driver has gone into detail about the structural problems in his industry. A certain mentality doesn’t want to listen and we have a rolling news agenda about the lorry driver problems being caused by Brexit. Now we have a consequent fuel crisis.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was up in Scarborough and Whitby at the weekend. I'd filled up before the crisis broke, but we needed to fill up before we came back. Saturday evening I drove straight into a Sainsbury's garage in Whitby. No queues. No shortages. All pumps working. On Saturday and Sunday we didn't see a single garage up north that was out of fuel or had more than two or three cars queuing. Got down south Sunday afternoon and .... bloody hell the queues were unbelievable! Hundreds of cars blocking the roads.

Obviously this is just my observation, but Northerners are sensible, pragmatic people who can see the bigger picture and aren't spooked by a couple of stories saying that some garages had delivery problems. Southerners on the other hand are a bunch of fearful, hysterical, pea-brained morons whose first reaction to any bit of remotely bad news is to fly into a blind panic.

Unbelievable. (Or sadly perhaps not).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We stopped EU drivers working here because of Brexit exacerbating and worsening an already developing situation with a shortage of HGV drivers. Our emergency measure to try and alleviate this is to U-Turn and ask EU drivers to come back, but you don't think people should mention Brexit ?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks :wink:

I think you can mention what you like. I am simply pointing out what we as a country are faced with when a significant number of people don’t accept a democratic vote and constantly are looking to be vindicated in that view. It is what it is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Erm...

Tesla’s heavy goods vehicle (HGV) highlights the growing capabilities of electric vehicles (EVs) to deliver more than just short, urban journeys. It claims its Semi will be able to travel 500 miles on a single charge (enough to get you from London to Edinburgh comfortably) and tow 40 tonnes of cargo.

https://www.drax.com/electrification/can-electricity-power-heavy-duty-vehicles/

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/daf-electric-lorry-delivered/

And haven't you noticed the electric buses in Brighton and elsewhere? https://www.buses.co.uk/30-new-electric-buses-brighton-hove

There's no reason to think the tech won't improve over the next few years as governments around the world try to phase out petrol/diesel vehicles.

The technology is there and it’ll definitely continue to develop, and quickly……but like cars, it won’t be a ‘few years’, it’ll be more like 20-25 years before we see a significant % of trucks on the road being electric I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here