Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Worst Profession to Presently Be In ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If I was a mortgage broker, and a potential client asked me those questions, I would reply;............"you are clearly very stupid, if you really believe that anyone knows the answers to all your questions. My advice is to go way.....and come back when you have a brain".

:lolol::thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Or perhaps.

I am sorry I left my Crystal Ball at home.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't think that's true.

But just imagine that he was offering advice to a first time buyer (and mortgages were available). How would he answer these questions?

1. Given that interest rates are now at their all time record low, how much are they likely to rise before the house is paid for? - this does not make sense

2. What will interest rates be like in five years time? - is this is serious question ?

3. What will that mean to my repayments? - fair enough but on what hypothetical basis ?

4. Given that the economy is in recession, how much is my income likely to rise in the next five years? - is this a serious question ?

5. Can you find me a genuinely affordable mortgage that won't cripple me in the next five years? - yes but obviously if your income goes down or you are made unemployed no, so do not take on anything unrealistic

6. What about over the full repayment period (ie until the house is paid for)? - see question 1. = not sure what you mean

7. Can I really afford this house?
- given all the facts and assessments it is possible to give that is something you will have to decide

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
7 - given all the facts and assessments it is possible to give that is something you will have to decide

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I personally work in the logistics industry which i wouldnt say is the worst to be in at the moment, but being directly linked to the retail industry i reckon it comes close. The firm i work for have in the last few months closed two distribution depots within this area, one due to cost cutting and one due to the demise of "MFI" ,resulting in 450 job losses.

If I was a mortgage broker, and a potential client asked me those questions, I would reply;............"you are clearly very stupid, if you really believe that anyone knows the answers to all your questions. My advice is to go way.....and come back when you have a brain".
Of course, a mortgage broker doesn't know the answers.

Which returns me to the question I asked earlier. In an uncertain market, what is the point of a mortgage broker?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The hardest job is being self-employed where you have to get off your fat arse and make things happen as opposed to bleating on about how life is awful in yor office and how you are bored and thats why you are on NSC and if you had your way it would be done like this and................ oh shut up you tossers.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Which returns me to the question I asked earlier. In an uncertain market, what is the point of a mortgage broker?

:thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The hardest job is being self-employed where you have to get off your fat arse and make things happen as opposed to bleating on about how life is awful in yor office and how you are bored and thats why you are on NSC and if you had your way it would be done like this and................ oh shut up you tossers.

Correct.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I did chuckle earlier this afternoon, when the presenter on Absolute Radio asked listeners what the collective term of a group of bankers was.

The winning answer was : a wunch

:clap:

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"idiot! i know two people who worked as charity shop or charity depot managers and both left because it was so poorly paid and hugely stressful, with a surprising amount of pressure from those above. one had a nervous breakdown. bit of a difference working a few hours as a volunteer than it is being the manager of two shops..."quoted by challengechappers.

Which charity? Salvation Army?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Also I am not an employee I am self employed so get no salary, no holiday pay, no sick pay, no meal voucchers, no pension, no company car

What a load of boring self-serving shit!!!

If you've been a IFA for the last 10 years or so you've done very well I'm sure, especially compared to the FS employees on £15-20k a year you mention earlier!!

Stop feeling so f***ing sorry for yourself, get off your arse and do something about it FFS!!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I am aware that you believe that we should go back to the "good old days", whereby, you saved a deposit....(with the building society that you hoped to get a mortgage from), and IF you met their criteria for lending, they would use their savers deposits to grant you a mortgage.

All well and good so far.............

However, because far more people in the last 20 odd years have wanted to own their homes, there simply wasn,t enough money in the building societies to meet this need. Neither did the mortgages on offer from the building societies suit all people. The "competition" from building societies was virtually nil............and consequently, they spent much of their savers deposits.......and excessive repayment interest rates, on their splendid high street buildings.

The global financial market, partially evolved, due to the amateurish way the old Building Societies functioned. They saw more efficient ....and cheaper ways to provide funds.

The financial market of course, has now gone horribly wrong, due to stupid risk-taking etc etc etc.........but the old Building Societies have not exactly covered themselves in glory either. They failed to meet public demand......(because they did not have the funds). If they had their way, we would forever have been stuck with owner/occupiers at a 30% level nationally.

I for one, am very glad the "good old days" of most of the building societies are gone.

For this reason alone....and the variety of mortgages available...(even today, compared to the "good old days"), the advice of a good reputable Mortgage broker is invaluable.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What a load of boring self-serving shit!!!

If you've been a IFA for the last 10 years or so you've done very well I'm sure, especially compared to the FS employees on £15-20k a year you mention earlier!!

Stop feeling so f***ing sorry for yourself, get off your arse and do something about it FFS!!!

Hey do you not think I have busted my arse everyday for 18 months to make things better ?. :censored:. Also for the LAST time I am not an IFA.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think at this time we should remember the poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller

First they came for the Estate agents and I did nothing.....

Then they came for the Morgage Brokers and IFAs and I did nothing.....

Then they came for the Bankers and I said........

Yes its that bunch of tossers over there you want

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here