Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Worst Profession to Presently Be In ?.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I dare say I will be shot for this but....

Job Centre Plus...
Trying to find work for genuine people who are doing there utmost to get any type of job, and not being able to match anything to their key skills, or, in many cases, not being able to find any real jobs at all in their locality is a very depressing situation indeep. I have utmost sympathy for those who are desperately looking for anything after being made redundant..know this from first hand experience.

Whilst some people might say it's a safe job at this moment in time, and whilst that may well be the case, the fact that you are unable to help people who genuinely need your assistance can leave you feeling very very flat at the end of the day...:down:

I have found that the majority are very sympathetic. I have had the misfortune to have seen some utter tossers in there giving the staff grief when clearly they cannot do anything about their complaint. Last week I saw one guy being thrown out cursing and swearing because his claim had been closed. The fact that he should have signed on 5 days earlier didn't seem to bother him.

uncle spielberg is just spouting a sales pitch in a vain attempt to fill his wallet
I don't think that's true.

But just imagine that he was offering advice to a first time buyer (and mortgages were available). How would he answer these questions?

1. Given that interest rates are now at their all time record low, how much are they likely to rise before the house is paid for?

2. What will interest rates be like in five years time?

3. What will that mean to my repayments?

4. Given that the economy is in recession, how much is my income likely to rise in the next five years?

5. Can you find me a genuinely affordable mortgage that won't cripple me in the next five years?

6. What about over the full repayment period (ie until the house is paid for)? - see question 1.

7. Can I really afford this house?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hummer car salesman is without doubt the worst job in the UK. Sales were down 90% last year on 2007.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Gareth, house prices still need to come down. They are completely ridiculous as has been obvious for over a decade now.

You said this:
"The ONLY reason why prices may fall another 10% is there are no mortgages."

Can't understand why people get excited about 10% here 10% there. House prices have gone up something like 200-300% in the last seven years. Now a 150% reduction would be worth talking about, but 10% in an obscenely overpriced market?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
had to look it up - amazing what you can learn as a result of reading NSC...

"The conditions that a proctologist treats are quite varied... In the case of a rectal prolapse, when the rectum turns itself inside out, a proctologist will step in to treat the condition and the underlying cause, if one can be identified."

So you're saying the bottom's fallen out of the proctologist market? ???

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
A couple of years ago A friend was up for a job as a regional manager for a chain of 8 charity shops .. they wanted to pay someone £28 k a year to run 8 shops staffed by volunteers.. I decided not to donate to that charity again

idiot! i know two people who worked as charity shop or charity depot managers and both left because it was so poorly paid and hugely stressful, with a surprising amount of pressure from those above. one had a nervous breakdown. bit of a difference working a few hours as a volunteer than it is being the manager of two shops...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But why cant anybody else see the sound business sense of offering mortgages at 90% LTV when the potential for house prices to fall by more than 10% is still out there? Supply and Demand isn;t the only factor on house prices and as Simster has said, a significant correction is actually needed and will do more to help first time buyers than loan availability ever will.

CoCoa

Dec 18, 2007
idiot! i know two people who worked as charity shop or charity depot managers and both left because it was so poorly paid and hugely stressful, with a surprising amount of pressure from those above. one had a nervous breakdown. bit of a difference working a few hours as a volunteer than it is being the manager of two shops...

my friend was southeast manager of a chain (won't name charity), they left for same reasons. How many weekend evenings were ruined by a call out from the police to say a shop window was smashed

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
28k to be in charge of EIGHT shops is underpaid, no matter what the industry.

Especially if the staff will be either miserable old witches, or those annoyingly over-happy old dears.

As other have said it's all about getting the right people. Some of the exec's of national charity's will be on hundreds of thousands a year. As much as that sounds wrong if they are good at their jobs they can influence the people below them to increase productivity to make far more than their own huge salaries

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
28k to be in charge of EIGHT shops is underpaid, no matter what the industry.

Sounds to me like a decent enough chunk of money in a recession - especially for a charity that is supposed to be y'know raising money for a charitable cause. OK, there will be pressures, like in any job, but its all relative. And as somebody else said up top, all the old dears in the shops are usually working for NOWT for the very best of reasons. They might be a bit cranky, but so what? :shrug:

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008

But just imagine that he was offering advice to a first time buyer (and mortgages were available). How would he answer these questions?

1. Given that interest rates are now at their all time record low, how much are they likely to rise before the house is paid for?

4. Given that the economy is in recession, how much is my income likely to rise in the next five years?

5. Can you find me a genuinely affordable mortgage that won't cripple me in the next five years?

6. What about over the full repayment period (ie until the house is paid for)? - see question 1.

lord B those questions never really change when you take out a mortgage what ever the economic climate ??

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

If I was a mortgage broker, and a potential client asked me those questions, I would reply;............"you are clearly very stupid, if you really believe that anyone knows the answers to all your questions. My advice is to go way.....and come back when you have a brain".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here