Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Worst Profession to Presently Be In ?.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You said that finance sector employess didn't make provision for the down turn in the Economy. I was just making a point that low level employees have no control over what their employer is doing.

I meant personally, ie not remortgaging to the hilt, maxing out credit cards and putting money aside for a "rainy day"

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'm afraid US that mortgage broking is going the same way as travel agents. There was a time and place for it, but not now.

With the internet, (FSA comparison and other sites) as well as the banks in a lot of instances not dealing with IFAs now, your services are only really needed for those who have complicated situations, or who cant work it our for themselves.

This is not entirely credit crunch related, but due also to the fact the world has moved on.

You do come across as a sincere chap and I'm sure there will be other opportunities out there for you when the market improves. Perhaps now is the time to look at retraining.

Can I be rude and ask how old you are?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I meant personally, ie not remortgaging to the hilt, maxing out credit cards and putting money aside for a "rainy day"

Ok a bit of a misunderstanding there. You could say that about everyone though. Thats why we are in this mess. Anyone with half a brain could see it could not go on for ever

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Depends what you nmean by "worst Profession", if you mean in terms of Job security, well thats just about everyone except Healthcare, Police, Army and other essential services/order keepers. If you meant just horrible then take your pick from the following...

Shit related
Stench related
Filth related
Boredom related
Cold/hot related
vermin related
customer services related

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
had to look it up - amazing what you can learn as a result of reading NSC...

"A proctologist, more often referred to as a colorectal surgeon, is a medical professional who specializes in diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus. The word is a compound of two Greek words, proktos, for behind or rear quarters, and logy, for study."

"The conditions that a proctologist treats are quite varied. Fecal incontinence caused by medical issues will be treated by a proctologist, as is severe constipation. In addition, cancers of the colon and rectum are the purview of a proctologist, as are fissures, fistulas, and hemorrhoids. In the case of a rectal prolapse, when the rectum turns itself inside out, a proctologist will step in to treat the condition and the underlying cause, if one can be identified."

This must mean a very big prolapse or a midget Proctologist, Surely ?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You only need a mortgage broker because the system is/was so complex there was so much choice. That and if you wanted to know the best way to borrow a lot of money (in some cases more than you should) and finding the most likely bank that would ask the fewest questions.

Lets face it before the 80s you went to any bank or building society and pleaded with them to give you 3 + 1 salary and if you didn't have savings with them they used to say no.

I think thats where we are heading and until our lives get taken over by rising house prices Mortgage brokers and Estate agents will not be in demand.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
I Would Like To Nominate Home Carers. I've Just Had To Clean Mother's Colostomy Bag And It May Innocently Look Like A Boil In The Bag Sausage In Pea Soup But When The Fucker Breaks On You Halfway Between Her Bedroom And The Bathroom All Over Your Feet And The Cat, Well..It Has Forced Me To Break My NSC-Long Habit Of Agreeing With Gavin. That's How Pissed Off (On?) I Feel At The Moment.

Sorry Gav.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know this is going to come across as sounding very heartless - and that's not my intention. But this is a genuine question.

Why is a mortgage broker needed? If the market for mortgages is reformed and simplified (to eliminate ninety percent of the "products" that were created by bankers who were simply trying to reach every last corner of the sub-prime market), getting a loan to buy a house could return to the state it used to be ... with borrowers dealing directly with lenders. And if people could start once again to see a house as simply a place to live, rather than a rung on a "ladder" to illusory wealth, the world would be a much more secure place.

The bubble has burst. Mortgage broking was part of the bubble - a phenomenon that was born in the 1980s and has now had its time.

In other words, I agree with you, Uncle Spielberg. It's definitely the worst trade to be in right now.

I think you could well be right Ed. Pretty shit for me after dedicating 20 years of my life to be as good as I could and taking professional qualifications. Ho hum.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I think anything that is considered 'luxury' will struggle through this recession. When money is tight and people are fearing for their jobs, they spend only on essentials and nothing else

Hairdressers/Beauty Therapies/home improvements companies/retailers/entertainment venues/any industry connected to property and house moving

US, like someone else has said, maybe you should use this downtime to get some additional skills to help you increase your chances of earning? Perhaps doing AAT or something similar to build your financial skills?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm afraid US that mortgage broking is going the same way as travel agents. There was a time and place for it, but not now.

With the internet, (FSA comparison and other sites) as well as the banks in a lot of instances not dealing with IFAs now, your services are only really needed for those who have complicated situations, or who cant work it our for themselves.

This is not entirely credit crunch related, but due also to the fact the world has moved on.

You do come across as a sincere chap and I'm sure there will be other opportunities out there for you when the market improves. Perhaps now is the time to look at retraining.

Can I be rude and ask how old you are?

Too old.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Oh pleeeesssee, all these financial sector employees feeling sorry for themselves because they didnt make provision for a slow down in the market. Nurses who have to put up with daily abuse, ambulance crews ditto, police who have to patrol at night in cities have had it hard for a long time - time to look at the real world again

Thankyou!!!

Cor, this is a bit of a depressing thread innit?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I Would Like To Nominate Home Carers. I've Just Had To Clean Mother's Colostomy Bag And It May Innocently Look Like A Boil In The Bag Sausage In Pea Soup But When The Fucker Breaks On You Halfway Between Her Bedroom And The Bathroom All Over Your Feet And The Cat, Well..It Has Forced Me To Break My NSC-Long Habit Of Agreeing With Gavin. That's How Pissed Off (On?) I Feel At The Moment.

Sorry Gav.

You're probably joking, but the split colostomy bag incident has actually happened to me. Fortunately was wearing an apron, but my shoes and tights weren't covered.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty shit for me after dedicating 20 years of my life to be as good as I could and taking professional qualifications. Ho hum.

Until the upturn, which will surely come, have you ever considered a career switch to working full-time for one of the national charities? Your REMF experience would surely stand you in very good stead, and some of the bigger charities pay pretty well. Just an idea.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its not much fun trying to run a country pub at the moment, people have little disposable income and can get the same basic product (booze) much cheaper at the supermarket. The government cut VAT to 15% to help retailers but raised duty on alcohol 2 1/2% at the same time. The VAT cut was a tempory measure and I can't see them reducing beer duty when VAT is increased again.

It's a difficult time for everyone, I just hope it dosen't last too long. (6 pubs a day closing in the UK at present)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Until the upturn, which will surely come, have you ever considered a career switch to working full-time for one of the national charities? Your REMF experience would surely stand you in very good stead, and some of the bigger charities pay pretty well. Just an idea.

A couple of years ago A friend was up for a job as a regional manager for a chain of 8 charity shops .. they wanted to pay someone £28 k a year to run 8 shops staffed by volunteers.. I decided not to donate to that charity again

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
A couple of years ago A friend was up for a job as a regional manager for a chain of 8 charity shops .. they wanted to pay someone £28 k a year to run 8 shops staffed by volunteers.. I decided not to donate to that charity again

I must admit, having worked in the charity sector, it is a balancing act.

If you pay crap wages, then you get shite employees and end up raising very little money. It is often better to pay more to get in a decent person, if you get the right person in position they will more than cover the extra money spent on their wages.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The paper I work on is just closing its subbing pool and that will now be done more than 60 miles away...

Widespread job losses across the board.

Weekly papers rumoured to be going MONTHLY in a year or two.

Daily papers going weekly.

And as for freelance fees from national newspapers - well The Sun has just announced its fees are dropping hugely.

All aboard the INTERNET.

Pagemasters , a company set up by Australian Associated Press (AAP) ,
sub edit sections of The Telegraph on the other side of the world in suburban Sydney .
Staffing levels have doubled in the past 2 years . Eliminates penalty rates as the
work is completed during normal business hours . Looks like this will snowball .

From Fleet Street to the suburbs of Sydney

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Do you think 28k is over paid to run 8 shops. Good god.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you think 28k is over paid to run 8 shops. Good god.

with respect US, this is a small chain of 8 charity shops staffed by sweet little old ladies giving up their time. There is no stress over Stock control,Marketing, Advertising " Delivering the Customer Journey" or Till take targets... they are selling dead mens shoes,paperbacks and second hand clothes to try to raise money out of donations...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here