Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Worst Profession to Presently Be In ?.

Dickyboy

Feb 2, 2009
rustington
As i have the dubious job of an estate agent having done it for the 20 years fortunately the market is now improving at long last having seen a number of agents close over the last six months it is about time. :clap: Lets hope it kick starts everthing else

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As i have the dubious job of an estate agent having done it for the 20 years fortunately the market is now improving at long last having seen a number of agents close over the last six months it is about time. :clap: Lets hope it kick starts everthing else

People want to buy at the prices they are now. Prices at 20% down are good value, any further fall is an over correction. I assume your buyers are mainly cash buyers. The mortgage market is still and has been closed for business over 75% ltv since the end of 2007. Until this happens and we get 90% deals at competative rates again we are just re arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Do you really see those 'green shoots?' I don't see them at all yet.

Personally I see prices falling further this year - so who in their right mind is going to buy something now that will be worth 10% less by the end of the year?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do you really see those 'green shoots?' I don't see them at all yet.

Personally I see prices falling further this year - so who in their right mind is going to buy something now that will be worth 10% less by the end of the year?

The ONLY reason why prices may fall another 10% is there are no mortgages. If lenders launch 90% deals at competative rates the housing market would be revived tomorrow, it would stabalise, confidence would come back, prices would stop falling, stabalise and then go up again in time.

The lenders are the Doctors and Nurses of the economy who have a patient in cardiac arrest on the table and they have the defibrilitor and drugs to save then/bring them back to life but refuse to use them.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The ONLY reason why prices may fall another 10% is there are no mortgages. If lenders launch 90% deals at competative rates the housing market would be revived tomorrow, it would stabalise, confidence would come back, prices would stop falling, stabalise and then go up again in time.

The lenders are the Doctors and Nurses of the economy who have a patient in cardiac arrest on the table and they have the defibrilitor and drugs to save then/bring them back to life but refuse to use them.

The economy is going to shrink by 5-6% this year and more next year... redundancies/unemployment in the earning/middle classes is just beginning to kick in, national debt soaring and taxes to remain high for at least 10 years to pay for this...

Get real - prices will fall for at least another 12 months.

The ONLY reason why prices may fall another 10% is there are no mortgages. If lenders launch 90% deals at competative rates the housing market would be revived tomorrow

:lolol: You truly are comedy gold Gav.

Dickyboy

Feb 2, 2009
rustington
the days of buying a place and selling it on for a massive profit are gone for now were now back to a traditional market where your buying a home to live in as for the comment why buy now as prices will drop even more well if your having to sell your own home that will drop as well along with the one you buy. If your selling a more expensive property then percentage wise if your trading down you will lose more money by holding on if as expected prices continue down

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why is saying that the key to turning round the economy is to re-start lending funny?

Basic economics.

Perhaps the critics are bankers?

I guess it is the irony of the situation.

The government told us that we got into this mess because lenders were giving away loans too easily.

Now the govenment is telling us that in order for the problem to be solved, they should re-start lending.

Very strange.

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
Brighton manager - shite job!

I've just been made redundant by Wrigleys chewing gum factory, my boss was called Phil Archer - no shit - give me a shit job!
I'm a warehouseman and I'm looking to relocate to Sussex if anyones interested!!

Jan 30, 2008
Its tough for many but I am wondering who and what profession people think is the worst to have a career / job in at the moment.

I would like to nominate , Mortgage Broking and attach a report in the case of the defence.

What other professions are being dessimated, housing , estate agents, surveyors, coneyancers certainly, contruction, retail ?.

This Credit Crunch is actually good for many people. When I meet my friends last week end they are all employed, earning as much or slightly more than last year with all the additional employed benefits, they have lower mortgage payments, massively for some as I put them on tracker rates, have far more spending power as they can get much more for their money. They must be hoping the credit crunch will last forever.

Who else is struggling, what is your trade, profession and how long do you think this will go on for ?

BBC NEWS | Business | Mortgage lending at 34-year low
sorry ,you've had your good times ,welcome to the real world :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Why is saying that the key to turning round the economy is to re-start lending funny?

Basic economics.

Perhaps the critics are bankers?

If all we needed to do to turn around the worst economic slump for 70 years was to strart offering mortgages of 90% LTV compared to the current 75% then the world would be a much happier place. You are right in that a return to liquidity in the wholesale credit markets will be a necessary part of the solution, but to truly believe that the global economy revolves around mortgages offered to first time buyers is naive in the extreme.

exeterseagull

May 19, 2008
exeter
I dare say I will be shot for this but....

Job Centre Plus...
Trying to find work for genuine people who are doing there utmost to get any type of job, and not being able to match anything to their key skills, or, in many cases, not being able to find any real jobs at all in their locality is a very depressing situation indeep. I have utmost sympathy for those who are desperately looking for anything after being made redundant..know this from first hand experience.

Whilst some people might say it's a safe job at this moment in time, and whilst that may well be the case, the fact that you are unable to help people who genuinely need your assistance can leave you feeling very very flat at the end of the day...:down:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If all we needed to do to turn around the worst economic slump for 70 years was to strart offering mortgages of 90% LTV compared to the current 75% then the world would be a much happier place. You are right in that a return to liquidity in the wholesale credit markets will be a necessary part of the solution, but to truly believe that the global economy revolves around mortgages offered to first time buyers is naive in the extreme.

I am talking about reviving the housing market but if you want to mis interpret it and make yourself looking better than me as you work on the floors of the City thats fine by me :bowdown:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

re-starting lending (ie extending credit) is crucial because we have created a credit economy. Mortgages are a small part which will follow when banks re-start lending to each other

I am talking about reviving the housing market but if you want to mis interpret it and make yourself looking better than me as you work on the floors of the City thats fine by me :bowdown:

House prices are ultimately determined by supply and demand. Yes the type of mortgages on offer and their availability will be an influence on demand, but if everyone is losing their job, or scared of losing their job, then it is not rocket science that demand will fall off a cliff regardless of mortgage products on offer. You do it to your self by posting ill thought out comments and highlighting them like they are FACT. There is a lot more to this situation then your world of mortgage products, but I hardly think that makes me look clever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth, house prices still need to come down. They are completely ridiculous as has been obvious for over a decade now.

You said this:
"The ONLY reason why prices may fall another 10% is there are no mortgages."

That simply isn't true. That lack of lenders is one major factor, but there are other factors too, not least that there is less disposable income about at the moment.

re-starting lending (ie extending credit) is crucial because we have created a credit economy. Mortgages are a small part which will follow when banks re-start lending to each other

Agreed. But when you see all the businesses and private individuals around you going under, do you really want to put your cash in their pockets? It's a chicken and egg situation at the moment that will only get worse before it gets better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here