Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vote - Wilkins V Adams - Part 2

Wilkins or Adams?

• Total voters

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Anyone who thinks the club isnt trying to get promoted, or doesnt think we should get promoted, clearly has no knowledge of football whatsoever.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Nothing to do with the stadium diary

Do you not think we look good for promotion with the squad we are building?

Not quite. We were lucky to finish 7th last season, mainly because the league was so poor. This season the league has got a little better, so has our squad. If anything i think 7th or just outside the play offs is as good as its going to get this year/

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
No, right youve missed my point. The last couple of season of course the club wanted promotion, but when Adams came in and we made a couple of early signigns it seemed as though the club were really going for it. But now it all seems to have just stopped. I think youve been reading Martin Perry's Falmer diary abit to much.

I tend to agree on the early enthusiasm bit. I'm not as excited as I was, although still looking forward to the new season ahead.

It would have been nice if we had got an exciting signing on board, and maybe that will still happen.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Not quite. We were lucky to finish 7th last season, mainly because the league was so poor. This season the league has got a little better, so has our squad. If anything i think 7th or just outside the play offs is as good as its going to get this year/

I still reckon we can finish in the top 6

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
I tend to agree on the early enthusiasm bit. I'm not as excited as I was, although still looking forward to the new season ahead.

It would have been nice if we had got an exciting signing on board, and maybe that will still happen.

Yeh im still hoping that aswell, im not sure what to make of these 2 premiership signings we're apparently after. But lets hope anyway.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I don't know actually. Ask me again tomorrow. And then Saturday morning, Saturday evening and every two days thereafter. Forever. That'd be interesting.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
TCB I personally think he HAS bought well, McCleod and Cox with Thompson pushing forward will provide a damn good service to the front two meaning goals.
Dull i don't think it will be.

Hart and Mayo was Mickys choice so i back it 100% Especially as there are still doubts over both Richards and Lynch for Saturday

Hawkins and Elphick will provide a steely back pair so Kuipers shouldn't have that much to do imo

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
TCB I personally think he HAS bought well, McCleod and Cox with Thompson pushing forward will provide a damn good service to the front two meaning goals.
Dull i don't think it will be.

Hart and Mayo was Mickys choice so i back it 100% Especially as there are still doubts over both Richards and Lynch for Saturday

Hawkins and Elphick will provide a steely back pair so Kuipers shouldn't have that much to do imo

Well it was dull last year - switch McLeod for Westlake, and the more defensive Livermore for Racon...other than that, not alot has changed really.

The ONLY encouraging thing is that we got some good results at the end of last season with that sort of side.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
i think mcleod is a better player than westlake

im happy micky is back and im sure we will do well this season

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He's bought well in the sense that he's filled the positions we needed filling (McLeod, Richards, and Livermore). He's also added a centre-back to replace Butters. It's the Virgo signing that baffles me though. He'll be on big money by our standards, and I'm not sure he'll turn out to be a shrewd investment. I also think, of the players he has bought, that while they're all solid players, there is noone of such class to transform us from 7th place to promotion challengers. I would have liked to see a flair midfielder to really set us apart from most teams in this league.

I tend to agree regarding Virgo. But I think MA sees him as a versatile player who can fit into many positions on a temporary basis.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
He's bought well in the sense that he's filled the positions we needed filling (McLeod, Richards, and Livermore). He's also added a centre-back to replace Butters. It's the Virgo signing that baffles me though. He'll be on big money by our standards, and I'm not sure he'll turn out to be a shrewd investment. I also think, of the players he has bought, that while they're all solid players, there is noone of such class to transform us from 7th place to promotion challengers. I would have liked to see a flair midfielder to really set us apart from most teams in this league.

I think we have that in McCleod though

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Well it was dull last year - switch McLeod for Westlake, and the more defensive Livermore for Racon...other than that, not alot has changed really.

The ONLY encouraging thing is that we got some good results at the end of last season with that sort of side.

And it has been strengthen further imo

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But that's what a plodder like Adam El Abd is for. Not sure we should be making a MASSIVE signing (by albion standards) if the player in question is simply a stop-gap for a few positions. I'd rather have someone on big money who will NAIL an important position rather than fill in wherever we have an injury.

What positions still need nailing then TCB?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
And it has been strengthen further imo

Hard to tell from games against Burgess Hill, Worthing, Bognor etc really, but even if they do prove to be better, it's a very MARGINAL thing. Certainly McLeod's past does NOTHING to suggest he'll be better than Westlake.

Essentially, we've the same squad, except with Virgo thrown in. And god knows where he'll fit in!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Snap. A few people have given me the insiders perspective about the Hammond contract (which has been on here anyway) and I still don't see what supposedly happened as being unforgivable. I bet stuff like that goes on all the time at football club across the country.

I genuinely enjoyed the football last season (although must admit to being a home game only supporter these days) and thought the club was moving forward. I think we should have done everything we could to keep someone with 20 years service and an incredible youth development record at the club in some capacity. If it was handled properly I think he would have stayed but the board made it impossible for him to do so. It leaves a very bitter taste.

Good luck to MA. It's a shame he came back under these circumstances. I'm bit miffed about Virgo, the five centre halves scenario and the lack of cover in some vital areas (goalkeeper, back up striker, creative central midfielder). I'm also disappointed that the long awaited clearout didn't stand, but pleased Paul Reid is not back. I just hope he doesn't do a Mullery.
Yup that pretty much sums up my view as well. I'm not anti-Adams and I really hope we do well, but using the 'Uncle Spielberg' rules anything less than the play-offs will be seen as miserable failure. In which case the people responsible (not just Adams) ought to seriously consider their positions. I'm usually one of the more pragmatic fans who think that, given our circumstances, the club have done brilliantly to deliver the promotions etc we've seen during the Withdean years. But to justify what happened and to justify removing one of the people who in a number of capacities contributed to that success I'm REALLY expecting big things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here