Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vote - Wilkins V Adams - Part 2

Wilkins or Adams?

• Total voters

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It will be interesting to look at this vote in 3 games time if we have a crap start.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I will following the superb Micky Adams and his march to the league title. You can follow whatever coaching job or reserve team job Wilkins gets for a 3rd or 4th division club if you want, maybe even go and see a few of their games. Its your loss.

Also how many more times re the McGhee ( 6 wins out of 50 ). It was in a higher division with much higher standard of tooball ffs.

Adams has not even started ONE league game yet and people are turning on him.

I did not like Wilkins appointment as I said it was a backward step and he was not the man for the job 31 league wins 33 league losses so where this great white hope ?. He DID NOT deliver and the feeble improvement last season in a truely WOEFUL division does not mean that " improvement " would automatically have carried on this season, quite the opposite, mid table at best would be my guess.

So DK was right in getting rid and appointing a decent manager , the only mystery to me is why DK appointed Wilkins in the first place and then gave a 3 year contract after a truely awful season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
McGhee was taking the team DOWN hill. Wilkins was IMPROVING.

McGhee was sacked after a string of poor results. Wilkins had just enjoyed a strong late run of form which nearly ended in the play offs.

McGhee won about 6 games in 50 odd...

McGhee was playing against a much better standard of opposition. Anyway this is a bit of a pointless argument - it was done to death 2 years ago.

Sacking McGhee was the right decision, I just meant that there was some people MIFFED by the manner it was done (backed in the summer and then 3 games into the season [after not a bad start] then sacked)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think this poll is a bit pointless really - rather like the team as we haven't played any games that matter yet!

I thought Wilkins was hard done by but have great hopes that Adams will find a way of getting us out of this division (upwards, by the way!), so I'm not even bothering to vote on this poll.

Ask me in 12 games' time and I'll have an opinion. For now, let's get behind the team and the management for all we're worth and see what happens.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are you EVER capable of reading between the lines? You ALWAYS seem to believe EVERYTHING the club puts forward, or is considered 'probable'.

Where is the problem in being positive and behind the team/club instead of joining the snipers whose greatest delight appears to be in having a go?

As it stands we are better equipped than at the start of last season.

As with last season there will be changes (loans in and out) throughout the season. We have two of the best strikers in the league and a midfield better suited to giving them ammunition. We have a reasonably solid defensive set up and we have greater strength in depth than previously. Some more ex-youth players will come through and Wilkins will get credit for that for years to come - as he should - he was excellent at that level. We will get nearer to promotion than we might have and Micky should get credit for that - he is a good (proven) club manager.

Win/Win :ascarf:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Under Adams we now have (with the exception of left back) good players at the club in all positions who are not loan signings.
Last season we relied heavily on Racon, O Callaghan and Westlake. McLeod and Livermore are permanant signings so there isn't the risk of disruption when they decide they have had enough at Christmas. Yes, I expect some loan signings to bolster the squad but in my opinion our actual squad is stronger than under Wilkins.

Another reason for optimism this season is the fact that we will have Murray and Forster up front together from the start of the season. Last year we were relying on Savage and Revell for half a season.

Also, even with a similar squad, I would trust Adams to get the best out of them more than Wilkins. (and preferably playing with width rather than a bloody stupid diamond formation at home!!)

I do admit I was miffed at the way Wilkins was treated (as I was with McGhee and others before him) but if it is for the better of the football club so be it. It's all in the past now anyway. Personally I'm looking forward to an exciting season.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Last year, with the exception of Murray, the most successful additions to the team were through loan signings. This year, with the exception of Richards, we have a much stronger permanent squad - and we've still got the options of load signings to come.

That's why I believe that we'll do better this season.

Whether we could have done the same with Wilkins I guess we'll never know, but at the moment Adams gets the nod.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Because if Wilkins were a better manager we would have not seen such a passionless display from some very capable players, and instead eased to victory pocketting £100k+ and a bit of excitement in our season.

Even the best managers have shit results like that from time to time.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not anti Adams, but yet to see what he has done to change things since he got here. Strengthend the strongest part of the team and brought in the desperatly needed left and centre midfield but Wilkins would have done that anyway. Early days though

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No they don't. The best managers ease to victory in this kind of game every time without fail, that's why they're the best.

Your posting absolute cobblers, It's called giant killing which is what makes the FA Cup so special ( unless your the giant thats being killed that is )

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No they don't. The best managers ease to victory in this kind of game every time without fail, that's why they're the best.

We were playing a dismal Mansfield side flirting with the bottom the league two table. Performing like we did on that day made me embarrassed to be an Albion fan.

Besides - There were other occasions last season where we just didn't turn up, despite having it all to play for, and succumbed to defeat after heartless displays yet again.

Wilkins = Boring passionless manager, boring passionless football. Good riddance.

Spot on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

We were playing a dismal Mansfield side flirting with the bottom the league two table. Performing like we did on that day made me embarrassed to be an Albion fan.

Besides - There were other occasions last season where we just didn't turn up, despite having it all to play for, and succumbed to defeat after heartless displays yet again.

Wilkins = Boring passionless manager, boring passionless football. Good riddance.

Utter bollocks.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Superb post. :clap:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What I am confused about is WW wanted Wilkins out all last season but he now is unhappy with Adams and seems to want him out as well without even playing a game.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What I am confused about is WW wanted Wilkins out all last season but he now is unhappy with Adams and seems to want him out as well without even playing a game.

Hang on, hang on, hang on.

WHERE have I said that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here