Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Teachers Strike On Thursday

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Teachers get to School at 8.00am set-up, teach and control not just children but parents too and are invaribly do not finish before 5.30pm and many times later with different Governers/Staff meetings.

QUOTE]

Well that may be true of a few, but if I ever pick up my son from school beyond nomal time the staff car park is empty by 4pm.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Teachers get to School at 8.00am set-up, teach and control not just children but parents too and are invaribly do not finish before 5.30pm and many times later with different Governers/Staff meetings.

QUOTE]

Well that may be true of a few, but if I ever pick up my son from school beyond nomal time the staff car park is empty by 4pm.

Absolutely no chance. What time do you pick up your Son ?

The difference is there are several unions within the teaching profession. If Wilko had been a member of the NUT, then not striking would have, I agree, been out of order. However a lot of teachers are not members of the NUT, and will not be striking, as they have not been advised by their unions to do so.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Freeloading?

But seriously, what happens if a complaint is made againgst you? Who will represent you, provide you with free legal advice?

But who has fought for the "decent" pension and the salary you already possess?

I am in a union to protect me from complaint, just not the union campaigning behind this particular strike.

There are many teachers who are not behind this one, not just because it is so ill timed but because payment negotiations have not even taken place yet. Let's hear the outcome of the negotiations before kicking up a fuss and disrupting those that matter - The kids.

'AS' levels are 3/4 weeks away, SATs are next week and GCSEs around 6 weeks away, unfortunately I feel the only ones who will suffer out of this is those that should matter the most.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

QUOTE]

Depends what say it is and wether they have meetings, after school activities etc. I guarantee you most teachers will be working at home in the evenings.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

QUOTE]

Why would you pick your Son up beyond your normal time, who do you think is taking the after School activity or supervising your Son ??

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Pay is shit. End of. If I wasn't getting a good military pension at the same time, I could not be in the classroom, and I don't know many that are there for the cash - they live with other halves on decent wages, or with parents. I got "grants" to train for one year, which are actually loans, and they start ripping those back immediately. I also hold down a Saturday job, plus holiday work. That's when I'm not planning, marking, assessing, prepararing classrooms, etc. 13 weeks holiday is the usual trite excuse trotted out by the uninformed....

No golden hello (primary school), and I had to pay for the training course, all travelling costs, but I was lucky in that I didn't have to move home to train, unlike 90% of the course I was on.

And no, I'm not striking because I think the NUT have got this wrong. Not enough negotiation yet, and there are better ways of doing this than walking out. In fact, my entire school are in as usual - the kids are well pissed off!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One of the reasons that many teachers are not behind this strike is the union in the past have always been happy to accept the independant arbitrary services say on wage increases which have given teachers 15 to 17 % salary increases over the last 11 years in real terms. This time round its different.
They have not even put forward a percentage figure that they thought in keeping in there talks with the government but just had a hissy fit about how hard they all work.
They do not work harder now than they did 20 years ago and their conditions have greatly improved.
Can you imagine a fireman going on strike because he has to work nights or heaven forbid go up a ladder. Thats how its always been. I am not saying that anyone should not want to change things from within but they do not have it that bad. At many colleges their absenteism is quite appalling.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to this strike!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
No school run tomorrow makes it a pleasure to get to work!!!!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think it is quite simple to whos more qualified, its whom holds the highest regarded qualification, there done !

Now whos the more important is a tough one and dont fancy getting involved in that.

Wages Structures and Budgets ..... BHA go over 'Budget' we go to Tony Bloom, Council go over 'Budget' we all have a Council Tax hike !!

No...let's go back shall we. Who is more highly qualified - a local council lawyer, a teacher, a nurse, a housing association accountant, a fireman....

Impossible to say. Like comparing apples with oranges. Nice to see that you acknowledge that the Albion has a budget though. :runsforcover:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I will be talking BOLLOCKS about the strike on Sky Channel 203, at 6.10 anf 7.05 tomorrow morning. I have asked the presenter interviewing me to be in schoolgirl uniform to give the interview greater credibility.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I will be talking BOLLOCKS about the strike on Sky Channel 203, at 6.10 anf 7.05 tomorrow morning. I have asked the presenter interviewing me to be in schoolgirl uniform to give the interview greater credibility.

Seeing I have had to take a DAY OFF due to the teacher's poxy strike, I shall be having a lie in and, thankfully, will not be able to double the numbers watching M TV at that time

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I am glad there are people on this board who are either teachers (like myself) or know of someone who is a teacher and can cut through this 'generous holidays' bollox that is banded about all the time when the teaching profession is mentioned

Not going to go into one about the hours we spend doing our job - we do it because we love the job, which is probably not what even half of the contributors to this thread can say about their own jobs

No one is striking at our school tomorrow by the way so don't tar all teachers with the same brush :nono:

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
This issue -pay, pay, pay - is missing the point for me.

Teachers start on 23K - above the national average wage of 21.5K – and have a clear wage structure beyond that (responsibility points, tenure etc.) so they are remunerated for the responsibility that they take on, and that has a value that is transparent. They also know this when they go in.

The issue is that everyone is now so taxed to buggery that they feel like they have far less in their pockets than they did before, and this is true. Every single year another nibble (no offence) is taken out of take home pay so that people feel that they are not being paid equitably. The rise in house prices has concealed this for a while as anyone with an interest in a property has felt themselves getting ’richer’ because their assets are worth more.

So even if people got an inflation-matching pay rise, they’d still be worse off as the tax burden (direct and indirect) continues to grow. This is a double-whammy. The fact that the deal is below inflation obviously causes resentment. Incredibly, the rationale that there is limited public money is used as a justification for below-par rises. So the fact that the government is shit and inefficient at spending money is a defence for them to avoid increasing salaries? Utter bollocks. Complete and utter bollocks.

What the shitting hell are they going to do when all the baby-boomers are retired? The tax and administration of the country is unsustainable in its current format, yet f***-all is being done about it. Trying to ‘control’ public sector salaries is not doing something about it, it’s avoiding the issue.

I’ve got some sympathy with the teachers – my mum is one, and my sister too – but this is the wrong fight, and the wrong ballot, to be having.

And don’t forget that (New) Labour came to power with the slogan “education, education, education.” More bollocks.

Anyone got a valium?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny how whenever THE most valuable members of the community (i.e. the key workers - binmen, teachers, transport workers, members of the emergency services) call a strike, or even raise the prospect of one, there's an almighty hoo-ha and a lot of pig-ignorant venom spat out. Whereas if every web designer or financial consultant in the land went on indefinite strike, nobody would ever give a f***. Or even notice.

Support the teachers :thumbsup:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
This issue -pay, pay, pay - is missing the point for me.

Teachers start on 23K - above the national average wage of 21.5K – and have a clear wage structure beyond that (responsibility points, tenure etc.) so they are remunerated for the responsibility that they take on, and that has a value that is transparent. They also know this when they go in.

The issue is that everyone is now so taxed to buggery that they feel like they have far less in their pockets than they did before, and this is true. Every single year another nibble (no offence) is taken out of take home pay so that people feel that they are not being paid equitably. The rise in house prices has concealed this for a while as anyone with an interest in a property has felt themselves getting ’richer’ because their assets are worth more.

So even if people got an inflation-matching pay rise, they’d still be worse off as the tax burden (direct and indirect) continues to grow. This is a double-whammy. The fact that the deal is below inflation obviously causes resentment. Incredibly, the rationale that there is limited public money is used as a justification for below-par rises. So the fact that the government is shit and inefficient at spending money is a defence for them to avoid increasing salaries? Utter bollocks. Complete and utter bollocks.

What the shitting hell are they going to do when all the baby-boomers are retired? The tax and administration of the country is unsustainable in its current format, yet f***-all is being done about it. Trying to ‘control’ public sector salaries is not doing something about it, it’s avoiding the issue.

I’ve got some sympathy with the teachers – my mum is one, and my sister too – but this is the wrong fight, and the wrong ballot, to be having.

And don’t forget that (New) Labour came to power with the slogan “education, education, education.” More bollocks.

Anyone got a valium?

If they start on £23K, then someone is stealing wages. Inner or Outer London get those wages to cover the additional costs of travel and housing in that area. Rest of them? £20K to £21K. And £2K-£3K is a lot of difference!

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: P.Paul Fenech - 04.A Bastards Advice
via FoxyTunes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here