Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Teachers Strike On Thursday

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What profession are you in ??

I'm a journalist, currently working for a small, friendly firm, with very little money.

Was freelance before that, on either a day rate or a set figure per 1000-words written. This varied according to publication, but the mags I freelanced for had kept the same rate for years, with no inflation.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I can see how it seems like that but you don't know hwat you are talking about.

Having worked in an HR capacity supporting Teachers for over 7 years (in a previous life) having to know their terms and conditions, rates of pay and allowances like the back of my hand I feel confident enough to stick my neck out and suggest that I do know hwat I'm talking about, to some extent anyway.

Thanks for your reply all the same.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Its interesting how we try to somehow compare public sector services and there importance.

I have close friends in all of those aforementioned professions and we all recognise how important they are.

But one aspect that I think should be mentioned is that neither our Policeman, Fireman, Nurse or Local Government friends ever were obliged to earn a degree as part of securing employments in those chosen professions.

It might be argued that we can say without question that all Teacher's in mainstream schools have earnt a high level of qualification that is recognised by most Industries , whereas in those other professions many have not.

But people who study for a degree aren't given up to £12,000 pounds tax free to study for a teaching degree, then given £4,000 when they qualify! There is no argument in the world that can justify that teachers haven't had it bloody good for the last 10 years and now their pay is simply being brought into line with the rest of the sector.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But people who study for a degree aren't given up to £12,000 pounds tax free to study for a teaching degree, then given £4,000 when they qualify! There is no argument in the world that can justify that teachers haven't had it bloody good for the last 10 years and now their pay is simply being brought into line with the rest of the sector.

That wasnt the case for my Wife, it actually came in whilst my Wife was going into her 3rd year of her degree and didnt qualify, how unlucky is that ??

The new intakes were getting this 'Golden Handshake' whilst the current students got nothing !!

By the way and New Labour also brought in tuition fees,a double whammy, so I am sure my wife and her colleagues had to endure more personal and financial committments than many in other sectors.

Why would you suppose that the Teachers should be put in line with the rest of the Public Sector ? It could be argued that they are more skilled and qualified.

It has been said that Teachers just arent appreciated enough, and I think you might be proof of that.

They should thank their lucky stars they're in the public sector and get pay-rises full-stop. I've not had a pay rise in over TWO years :angry:

In some respects mate, if you leave your job, who actually cares?

When a teacher leaves its X pupils, parent relationships, continunity etc.

Its important to retain and maintain a good teaching structure in our schools and in our country.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
When a teacher leaves its X pupils, parent relationships, continunity etc.

Its important to retain and maintain a good teaching structure in our schools and in our country.

I don't disagree at all, LC. My brother's been a primary school headteacher for about ten years now, and I fully realise how important teachers are and what brilliant jobs many (but not all) of them do.

But I do get a bit cheesed when everyone else (seems to) get a pay-rise, then bleat about it, when I'd love to have a rise that's in line with inflation, let alone over it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That wasnt the case for my Wife, it actually came in whilst my Wife was going into her 3rd year of her degree and didnt qualify, how unlucky is that ??

The new intakes were getting this 'Golden Handshake' whilst the current students got nothing !!

By the way and New Labour also brought in tuition fees,a double whammy, so I am sure my wife and her colleagues had to endure more personal and financial committments than many in other sectors.

Why would you suppose that the Teachers should be put in line with the rest of the Public Sector ? It could be argued that they are more skilled and qualified.

It has been said that Teachers just arent appreciated enough, and I think you might be proof of that.

Teachers are already paid in line with the public sector. It's a public sector wide grumble about which rate of inflation to use.

Actually this is quite funny you bringing this subject up. It's all about wage structures and budgets.

But...completely ridiculous to say that they are more qualified than other public sector workers. How can you compare a teacher with a policeman or a nurse or local council legal bod? You can't and this is why they all have their own wage structures and pay talks.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Teachers are already paid in line with the public sector. It's a public sector wide grumble about which rate of inflation to use.

Actually this is quite funny you bringing this subject up. It's all about wage structures and budgets.

But...completely ridiculous to say that they are more qualified than other public sector workers. How can you compare a teacher with a policeman or a nurse or local council legal bod? You can't and this is why they all have their own wage structures and pay talks.

I think it is quite simple to whos more qualified, its whom holds the highest regarded qualification, there done !

Now whos the more important is a tough one and dont fancy getting involved in that.

Wages Structures and Budgets ..... BHA go over 'Budget' we go to Tony Bloom, Council go over 'Budget' we all have a Council Tax hike !!

Mar 10, 2006
It seems the only people protecting teachers on here are people who's other half etc is in the profession. It certainly doesn't give an objective view does it - I mean you aren't going to come on here and say ' Oh yes my partner is a lazy sod and has had it good for so many years and now it's good to see they aren't getting everything their own way' are you. At the end of the day there will be good and bad as in any job. The problem with having unions in the workplace is that they exist to protect the work shy.

It seems the only people protecting teachers on here are people who's other half etc is in the profession. It certainly doesn't give an objective view does it - I mean you aren't going to come on here and say ' Oh yes my partner is a lazy sod and has had it good for so many years and now it's good to see they aren't getting everything their own way' are you. At the end of the day there will be good and bad as in any job. The problem with having unions in the workplace is that they exist to protect the work shy.

Wrong, I know the importance of teachers to our country.

I don't know any teachers personally or have teachers as family.

I doubt whatever, you're profession is, that it is of an equality to our teachers in the development of our young people and our nation.

LC

The pressure on teachers to side with their unions. The point is I know how hard teachers work, fair pay or not and you won't change my mind.

If there has been a fair ballot and the majority who voted, have voted for a decision, then that decision needs to be respected.

I'm not saying I'm objective. But I have seen, and have evidence that, teachers work horrendously long hours. What evidence do you have that they are work shy and lazy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here