Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Teachers Strike On Thursday

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It seems the only people protecting teachers on here are people who's other half etc is in the profession. It certainly doesn't give an objective view does it - I mean you aren't going to come on here and say ' Oh yes my partner is a lazy sod and has had it good for so many years and now it's good to see they aren't getting everything their own way' are you. At the end of the day there will be good and bad as in any job. The problem with having unions in the workplace is that they exist to protect the work shy.

But if people know some teachers personally then surely they have a better insight into the job than people who don't know any?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It seems the only people protecting teachers on here are people who's other half etc is in the profession. It certainly doesn't give an objective view does it - I mean you aren't going to come on here and say ' Oh yes my partner is a lazy sod and has had it good for so many years and now it's good to see they aren't getting everything their own way' are you. At the end of the day there will be good and bad as in any job. The problem with having unions in the workplace is that they exist to protect the work shy.

It is no surprise that some peolple that have no link with the Teaching profession might not be aware of the workload.

What does intrigue me is how someone who's wife works within a school can somehow say that they are lazy and work shy.

Its slightly bizaare, what part of their work does she feel is not delivered professionally ??

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just to clarify as a teacher myself. Even if you are in the Union you do not have to follow the strike. The vast majority of us are going into work tomorrow.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Out of interest, what is your occupation?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just to clarify as a teacher myself. Even if you are in the Union you do not have to follow the strike. The vast majority of us are going into work tomorrow.

Which I wasn't disagreeing with. All the teachers I know are working tomorrow but what I meant was that there are teachers who will strike because the decision has been made by their union and they won't go against the NUT.

Scab.

Then why have a vote, great others lose pay, whilst you work and reap any rewards they may get.

What an appalling attitude to have.

Mar 10, 2006
Oh for gods sakes man! You clearly have no understanding of how it works in reality and you clearly have no idea what a teachers job involves.

That is actually wrong - I have excellent first hand knowledge of unions and strikes - so In reality I do now how it works and stop defending the indefensible

:D

Well, I am NOT unsatisfied with my job or the pay so why should I strike?

You were ballotted and if the vote had gone the other way, the others would have respected a no vote, so basically are you prepared to hand back, all the rewards, rights, conditions your Union has won for You?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That is actually wrong - I have excellent first hand knowledge of unions and strikes - so In reality I do now how it works and stop defending the indefensible

What is indefensible? Why do you think teachers are workshy? All the questions that could explain your attitude remain unanswered. What job does your partner do in a school? What job do you have?

If your not willing to provide any evidence, based on experience then I can't be bothered to listen to your ill informed ramblings.

Our kid's school is closed tomorrow, complete solidarity across the board.

No pickets to cross, its closed, because all of the teachers and head teacher are in agreement with the action being proposed.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You were ballotted and if the vote had gone the other way, the others would have respected a no vote, so basically are you prepared to hand back, all the rewards, rights, conditions your Union has won for You?

I am not in the union. I have not done anything wrong have I?

SOME teachers are striking because they are unhappy. I am NOT striking because I am happy with my conditions.

Are you saying that I should take a day off work and campaign against something I do not agree with?

If any changes come off the back of the strike then I will accept whatever the outcome is.

You dont know which way he voted !!

The whole point of a ballot, is to accept the result, that's why as a nation we have electoral ballots, why bother voting tory, labour, if we are going to have a minority ignoring the decision and doing they own thing?

As it happens its appears Wilko didn't vote at all.

All I can say, when faced with picket lines, when I have not voted (different Union) I have never crossed a picket line.

That's me and that's how I see the world.

Even when self employed and operating my own business, I have maintained Union membership, for all the other benefits Unions provide apart from negotiating salaries etc.

I am not in the union. I have not done anything wrong have I?

SOME teachers are striking because they are unhappy. I am NOT striking because I am happy with my conditions.

Are you saying that I should take a day off work and campaign against something I do not agree with?

If any changes come off the back of the strike then I will accept whatever the outcome is.

Freeloading?

But seriously, what happens if a complaint is made againgst you? Who will represent you, provide you with free legal advice?

But who has fought for the "decent" pension and the salary you already possess?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here