Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The St Pauli / Palace Chant Yesteray

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What a sad thread. Add this with the Beach Hut one complaining about the another song on saturday and you begin to wonder what goes on in the minds of some.

From the seats on saturday it sounded good. Couldnt hear any booing and people seemed to join in. If others want to hear or sing something else I dont believe anybody is stopping them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a sad thread. Add this with the Beach Hut one complaining about the another song on saturday and you begin to wonder what goes on in the minds of some.
I'm convinced that half of NSC just sits on its hands ready to froth the minute "stand up if you hate Palace" or that NSK chant starts up.

Don't like it? Just ignore it? Or sing something else?

I'm beginning to conclude what some people have already been saying for years - that NSC is not representative of our support. How else do you explain the well above-average noise created by our fans, both home and away?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would like to add my vote to the idea of singing the Palace /St Pauli thing at the final whistle on the 31st, IF we've won.

Their precious little heads will EXPLODE with rage.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
the simple fact is that palace sing it and palace sing it better than any attempt i've ever heard from our kids who sing it, which quite frankly means that everytime we attempt it, it turns out to be completely embarrassing.

It's not a song i'll join in with for the simple reason palace do it better, if it's attempted at shithurst they will surely just piss themselves laughing at our kids singing it.

It's gash, boo it, end of.

yeah

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a decent, upbeat chant that is clearly growing as more people 'get it'.

The originality card played by detractors is a load of bollocks. Would we have anything other than 'Sussex by the Sea' if we sought to only belt out originals and ignored cover versions?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm convinced that half of NSC just sits on its hands ready to froth the minute "stand up if you hate Palace" or that NSK chant starts up.

Don't like it? Just ignore it? Or sing something else?

I'm beginning to conclude what some people have already been saying for years - that NSC is not representative of our support. How else do you explain the well above-average noise created by our fans, both home and away?

I often wonder this. A lot of people on here moan about this song and that song, yet most of the crowd, especially at away games, seem to be singing them. Is it that the people who maon don't go? I don't think so, I think they just like to join in but then come on here afterwards and moan about it. Odd.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It's a decent, upbeat chant that is clearly growing as more people 'get it'.

The originality card played by detractors is a load of bollocks. Would we have anything other than 'Sussex by the Sea' if we sought to only belt out originals and ignored cover versions?

It's not that's it's not an original song that gets most people, it's the fact that whether they were first or not, it is Palace who have sung it for years and sing it rather well. If any other club had developed it and made it their own like Palace I'm sure most people would be well up for doing it.

All the while it's associated by many as a Palace song, it just won't ever kick off properly I don't think.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What madness. Where would we be if Hendrix had said 'lets not bother singing All along the watchtower as Dylan's version was really rather good'?

Or if Mike Flowers Pops had said the same with Wonderwall?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It's not that's it's not an original song that gets most people, it's the fact that whether they were first or not, it is Palace who have sung it for years and sing it rather well. If any other club had developed it and made it their own like Palace I'm sure most people would be well up for doing it.

All the while it's associated by many as a Palace song, it just won't ever kick off properly I don't think.

Our club identity (seagulls) is only that as a direct result of their nickname and our fans coming back with something that rhymed. And it actually makes it better for this fact.

This reasoning therefore makes no sense in historical context.

And also, our version of this song is original in content, rather than Palace's word-for-word rehash of St Pauli.

Sussex by the SEA, SEA, SEA sounds good.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to the fact of wheter you buy into the pa*ace bullshit about it being their song. Personally I don't, it isn't and never has been. In the last two weeks I've heard it sung by QPR, Liverpool and Man city, and they all did it better than the surrey nigels.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Our club identity (seagulls) is only that as a direct result of their nickname and our fans coming back with something that rhymed. And it actually makes it better for this fact.

This reasoning therefore makes no sense in historical context.

Not sure I agree. That was a witty response to their nickname and chant, this is a reworded version of a song that they are most known for singing, and do it far better than anyone in the country

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to the fact of wheter you buy into the pa*ace bullshit about it being their song. Personally I don't, it isn't and never has been. In the last two weeks I've heard it sung by QPR, Liverpool and Man city, and they all did it better than the surrey nigels.

Have heard loads of clubs do it recently too, but none have come close to Palace unfortunately

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

They have done nothing to make it their own though, they sing the same words as EVERYOTHER club, our version however except the woah hasn't a single word the same just words relating to Brighton Hove and Sussex that fit.

---
I am here: Google Maps

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
They have done nothing to make it their own though, they sing the same words as EVERYOTHER club, our version however except the woah hasn't a single word the same just words relating to Brighton Hove and Sussex that fit.

Ok, maybe made it their own isn't the best wording, but I have seen no one who sings it better than they do and for as many years as them. Therefore as soon as I heard us try for the first time this season, I (I realise this is where it splits everyone) immediately thought of it as a Palace song

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4658103 said:
What's upbeat about it then?

You honestly think 10-15 times a game is not oversung?

Yes it is over sung and just the one single loud rendition of it a Peterborough was brilliant, It wasn't done again and it was better for it.

The more people join in the better it will sound.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The supporters who do nothing but moan about this song really need to get a life and get out more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here