Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "Season Ticket Renewals 2021/22" thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I assume people become MyAlbion members because they either cant afford a season ticket or cant go very often. Although my gripe is cant give next seat to a guest without them paying £25 I also think paying £25 to become a MyAlbion to have honour of buying a ticket is a ripoff. PL because of demand is in another league. How many other businesses would get away asking a potential customer for £25 so they may use there services in the future Unless you are attracted by the gift package it comes with. As a matter of interest Bry Nylon do you have to pay this every season

Yes - it is an annual fee.

Of course the third reason for being a MyAlbion member is because it isn't possible to simply buy a ST and you need to be a MyAlbion member to get on the waiting list.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Yes - it is an annual fee.

Of course the third reason for being a MyAlbion member is because it isn't possible to simply buy a ST and you need to be a MyAlbion member to get on the waiting list.

Sorry but also think having to pay £25 because you want to join a list to spend £600/700 when seat available is a ripoff.. I repeat what a different world PL clubs are in. I wish in my business when a customer rings up for something unavailable I could charge them a fee for honour of letting them know when in stock.
Clubs that sell out every week can get away with anything

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Can't see contact tracing working at a football stadium. Are they going to contact 30,000 fans if one tests positive?

Besides, 20 weeks until season kicks off. At the current rate the UK will have done 100m jabs by then.

As long as other countries are lagging behind, the fear of mutation and restarting the process will still be there. Contact tracing will be a part of our lives until the virus is manageable across the globe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry but also think having to pay £25 because you want to join a list to spend £600/700 when seat available is a ripoff.. I repeat what a different world PL clubs are in. I wish in my business when a customer rings up for something unavailable I could charge them a fee for honour of letting them know when in stock.
Clubs that sell out every week can get away with anything

It probably won’t assuage your fury, but the fee is deducted from the later s/t cost.

One of the main reasons for introducing the fee was to ascertain who truly wants a s/t. Sifting out those who put their name down, with no serious intentions.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
It probably won’t assuage your fury, but the fee is deducted from the later s/t cost.

One of the main reasons for introducing the fee was to ascertain who truly wants a s/t. Sifting out those who put their name down, with no serious intentions.

It could be more of a small deposit than fee then..

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Far more acceptable. However would think this does nothing to accuracy of waiting list if so many on list of MyAlbion are members because cannot afford a ST or cant go to many games

I doubt the club want to lose anyone but its quite the leap for Argus letter writer to get frustrated about a £1.80 cup of tea (30p less than it was a few years back post flaskgate), a season ticket freeze, some sensible policies around refunds in the last 12 months, some pretty minor improvements to sharing tickets if you can't go, and quite the concession to allow a season ticket transfer to someone else - to blanket accusations that the club isn't a family club and wants to exploit fans for every penny they can get . So i'm off to Lewes.

So i really don't recognise their idea that the club is trying to freeze out fans who's circumstances have changed during the pandemic, want to bring their kids, and are worried about cost regardless of which division we end up in next season. I think over the last 12 months and in these changes for next year the club have been pretty impressive and have listened to the fans - don't take my word for it - ask the wearebrighton lot who really enjoy giving Barber a kicking if he deserves it. But on this..."Brighton again prove that, by and large, they know how to look after their fans."
http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...th-supporter-friendly-season-ticket-renewals/

Depends - if you are a fan of very low income, then you could be stretching any kind of budgets just to get the money for a season ticket together. So when an edict with very dubious gaslighting safety excuses comes along forcing you to pay for hot drinks when you previously economised by bringing them in, it can act as the straw that breaks the camel's back for some fans. You can choose a position of empathising with them or patronising them or even ridiculing them, the choice is yours and you'll be saying something about yourself to everyone watching, whatever choice you make here

I think he has a point about flasks. If a family of say an adult and two kids or two adults and a kid are going then that must be an extra £6 or £7 a game (although I don't understand why kids have to have a drink at half time, I never used to when a season ticket holder at the Goldstone). The flask thing for me is an issue for some people and especially older people. I know people whose first game at the Albion was just before World War 2 and have been season ticket holders with the same people sitting with them since the 1960's. They are now not as young as they once were and therefore not as sprightly as they used to be. I'm not sure what they would now do for a hot drink, no doubt just get on without one and just have the toffees without a drink. To get up and down the stairs is an effort enough before and after the game, never mind doing it all again at half time. Perhaps the club might arrange to sell teas/coffees for people in their seats for those of a certain vintage. Either way, it might seem minor but actually it is in my humble opinion a bit poor for the few quid the club make in it. After all, most people wont take a flask anyway so why not just accommodate it for those who it does make a difference for? That's my two penneth anyway.

Yup. It would be hard to police but even if you gave an exemption to pensioners, it would be some way of the club recovering some goodwill here. Surely these old boys aren't going to be lobbing them at the Palace

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Almost...! Still think an upgrade of a full price ST to a matchday ticket (ie adult to adult) should be allowed for non-members, not just concessions. For those who previously only passed on a ticket once or twice a season there isn't a solution - this would solve that and prevent empty seats.

I'm not in disagreement with this tbh. I do think the club are in a position where they needed to have a policy (in the current circumstances) that satisfies the best that they can. I don't think there is a solution for those that only want to do this once or twice a year to a friend and is cost effective - turning a blind eye to regulations is hardly a Covid safe environment and if we are going to return to grounds (which we are) those precautions need to be in place unfortunately. Life isn't the same as it was a year and a half ago. There are a lot of people who share season tickets and this is a legitimate way that can do that at a minimal cost.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Depends - if you are a fan of very low income, then you could be stretching any kind of budgets just to get the money for a season ticket together. So when an edict with very dubious gaslighting safety excuses comes along forcing you to pay for hot drinks when you previously economised by bringing them in, it can act as the straw that breaks the camel's back for some fans. You can choose a position of empathising with them or patronising them or even ridiculing them, the choice is yours and you'll be saying something about yourself to everyone watching, whatever choice you make here

Agree so many out there I come across that love the Albion but just cant justify the cost for even the occasional game. Thats why it has always given me pleasure to invite very occasionally as a guest somebody in this position to a game. Believe it or not even if we have lost day worthwhile just seeing the pleasure it has given them. Unfortunately from next season this will no longer be possible

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agree so many out there I come across that love the Albion but just cant justify the cost for even the occasional game. Thats why it has always given me pleasure to invite very occasionally as a guest somebody in this position to a game. Believe it or not even if we have lost day worthwhile just seeing the pleasure it has given them. Unfortunately from next season this will no longer be possible

I haven’t been following the ins and outs of this debate but am I right in saying you can pay twenty quid as a one off and then your guests can pay twenty five quid as a one off ? That gives them the opportunity to use the tickets you kindly pass on with no further cost. Even if it is someone different every time that’s twenty five quid to watch a PL football match which is a lot cheaper than the actual ticket price. I really don’t see the unfairness. It rather sticks in the throat when people complain about not getting stuff for free. I think in addition you are assuming that the ticket is yours to do with as you wish. That is not the case as it comes with lots of terms and conditions and the club have just added another one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he has a point about flasks. If a family of say an adult and two kids or two adults and a kid are going then that must be an extra £6 or £7 a game (although I don't understand why kids have to have a drink at half time, I never used to when a season ticket holder at the Goldstone). The flask thing for me is an issue for some people and especially older people. I know people whose first game at the Albion was just before World War 2 and have been season ticket holders with the same people sitting with them since the 1960's. They are now not as young as they once were and therefore not as sprightly as they used to be. I'm not sure what they would now do for a hot drink, no doubt just get on without one and just have the toffees without a drink. To get up and down the stairs is an effort enough before and after the game, never mind doing it all again at half time. Perhaps the club might arrange to sell teas/coffees for people in their seats for those of a certain vintage. Either way, it might seem minor but actually it is in my humble opinion a bit poor for the few quid the club make in it. After all, most people wont take a flask anyway so why not just accommodate it for those who it does make a difference for? That's my two penneth anyway.

Excellent post.

People in that demographic often feel the cold, having a hot drink for a winter match is very welcome.

A flask also means that they don’t need to stand in the long queues.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
On the sharing season tickets. Is there a reason why two or three people cant buy one seat to share between themselves for the season? So the club know the ticket will be shared, but obviously there is only one seat so they cant all turn up at once! Whoever turns up each game is then a matter between themselves?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the sharing season tickets. Is there a reason why two or three people cant buy one seat to share between themselves for the season? So the club know the ticket will be shared, but obviously there is only one seat so they cant all turn up at once! Whoever turns up each game is then a matter between themselves?

Post 2021/22, is the strategy that the club want s/t’s where the original holder loses interest or can’t go any more, to reach people waiting patiently on the list?

Rather than small groups holding onto them ad infinitum, passing them between family and mates, thus preventing people waiting getting their chance.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Complete piss take in my view and not what a season ticket is intended for.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not in disagreement with this tbh. I do think the club are in a position where they needed to have a policy (in the current circumstances) that satisfies the best that they can. I don't think there is a solution for those that only want to do this once or twice a year to a friend and is cost effective - turning a blind eye to regulations is hardly a Covid safe environment and if we are going to return to grounds (which we are) those precautions need to be in place unfortunately. Life isn't the same as it was a year and a half ago. There are a lot of people who share season tickets and this is a legitimate way that can do that at a minimal cost.

Exactly.....there is no solution currently. An ‘occasional upgrade’ (to full matchday price) would solve this instantly. Maybe I’m in a tiny minority, but without something like this one of our two seats will be empty 4/5 times a season.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Post 2021/22, is the strategy that the club want s/t’s where the original holder loses interest or can’t go any more, to reach people waiting patiently on the list?

Rather than small groups holding onto them ad infinitum, passing them between family and mates, thus preventing people waiting getting their chance.

I see, that makes some sense, however doesn't allowing people to formally share the ticket after paying £25 then mean that strategy has now gone by the wayside? I just wonder if both with sharing season tickets and flasks, that the rules are a little be "sledgehammer to crack a nut". Perhaps let the few who want to, take in a flask. Also let three people share a season ticket if they wish, if they say that they are doing so when they buy the ticket. Yes, I expect one or two will smuggle booze in the flask but for every one of them there will be 10 grateful pensioners who can have a hot drink with their toffees. If the smuggler is caught then take away the ticket. As for the sharing a season ticket, I just can't see what the problem is with that at all, if when they buy it, they say who is sharing it. When making rules then it's important to always review what is trying to be achieved and why. Then have a proportionate test for those rules. All just seems a little bit unnecessary.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see, that makes some sense, however doesn't allowing people to formally share the ticket after paying £25 then mean that strategy has now gone by the wayside? I just wonder if both with sharing season tickets and flasks, that the rules are a little be "sledgehammer to crack a nut". Perhaps let the few who want to, take in a flask. Also let people three people share a season ticket if they wish, if they say that they are doing so when they buy the ticket. Yes, I expect one or two will smuggle booze in the flask but for every one of them there will be 10 grateful pensioners who can have a hot drink with their toffees. If the smuggler is caught then take away the ticket. As for the sharing a season ticket, I just can't see what the problem is with that at all, if when they buy it, they say who is sharing it. When making rules then it's important to always review what is trying to be achieved and why. Then have a proportionate test for those rules. All just seems a little bit unnecessary.

I must admit, as regular s/t holders who won’t be sharing, we go to the vast majority of games .... I haven’t looked at the minutiae of detail.

Are some of these concessions only for next season and are they capped at the number of games you can do it per season after 2021/22?

I get the impression that overall the club have made some sensible moves for 2021/22, when many will still be worried to go to games despite the vax programme. Secondly there’s a one off moratorium on the true s/t attendee, with a formal name change transfer. Finally, from 2022/23 the game of passing tickets between mates becomes incredibly hard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here