Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The round club badge back>

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not that many - about four or five.

We've had the seagull in a shield since 1999. Before that, it was the seagull in a circle - or variations therein - from 1977 to 1999. We've also had the twin crests of Brighton and Hove, as per the cententary shirt - that was used in the late 50s and through the 60s.

There was also the black shield with white script 'BHA FC' in the 1940s-50, and the monogrammed 'BHAFC' in the 70s.

There was a dolphin design done, but I can't find any reference to it actually being on a shirt. Apart from that, as far as I am aware, we've had a badge-free shirt.

Tim Carder's book has plenty of images of the shirts with their different badges.

Ta.

I liked the old centenary one. Anyone got a better image than this?

Bri5.JPG

Also what does the Latin (I assume) mean?

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Dolphins anyone?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Ta.

I liked the old centenary one. Anyone got a better image than this?

Bri5.JPG

Also what does the Latin (I assume) mean?

The latin I think means:

In De Fidemus - In God We Trust
Floreat Hova - Flourish Hove

I may be wrong but isn't there issues on copyright in using the logos of boroughs? isn't that why Fulham had to change their badge?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
We are known as the seagulls and the seagull should be the branding item. but would be good to get the crests in somewhere.. what about the crests woven into the fabric or on the shorts?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We are known as the seagulls and the seagull should be the branding item. but would be good to get the crests in somewhere.. what about the crests woven into the fabric or on the shorts?

I like the idea of always having the crests on the shorts.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The latin I think means:

I may be wrong but isn't there issues on copyright in using the logos of boroughs? isn't that why Fulham had to change their badge?

Not sure. I do know that QPR used the Borough of Hammersmith logo on their shirt, and that that borough is now the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. :shrug:

Edit: just looked it up. Hammersmith & Fulham is an amalgamation of two borough which took place in 1965. So for the purposes of your question, I'm gonna say 'don't know'. Sorry about that.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Myself, I'd be happy to see the round badge back - not that there is anything wrong with the shield, and I could understand the reasoning behind the change.

I have done one or two designs off my own bat, and attracted much scorn for it - especially as the current seagull design, which I do think is now sorely dated, was changed.

Personally, I would like to incorporate the elements of the seagull, the county martlets of Sussex, the stripes, and the club name and nickname into a new round badge. All very do-able.

I would like a White background flag with the Sussex Martlets shield and the round club emblem seagull on it together to be flown at at falmer, but the badge for the shirt I think needs to just be a seagull. Otherwise there is too much on it. Keep it simple to make a statement. EG Liverpool lost something when they put stuff around the liverbird.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Im gonna get shouted down for this,and classed as no-nothing newbie

Its Old, dated and a tad lame.

The crests please or something dynamic

You need to replace the word 'old' with the word 'retro'

The crests are too 'busy.' It's gotta be simple to be flair, like the Forest, Norwich or Leeds badges from the 1970s.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It may be just me, but I think a circular badge sitting over stripes has more impact/looks better than a more angular crest design, which just gets lost in the vertical stripes/lines.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You need to replace the word 'old' with the word 'retro'

The crests are too 'busy.' It's gotta be simple to be flair, like the Forest, Norwich or Leeds badges from the 1970s.

The word is old the crests are retro......!

Having said that i understand what you mean, maybe falmer has a crest that would piss the nimbys off eh :lolol:

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008

class and unique. something to build a club around. Quite like the idea of a large white seagull with BHAFC underneath it as well.. tho maybe the round badge just has the unique element that wins it for me. I'm not a fan of the crest as everyone has one and well, looks a bit naf

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The latin I think means:

Ta.

Did a quick search and found this

Brightonandhovecoatofarms.PNG

Supposed to be the Brighton & Hove coat of arms. I like it! Is it genuine or just something someone has knocked up?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a fan of having the logo inside the shield extending out of the shield - keep it entirely within the edge.

Re Falmer - I hope the club realise that the ground will NOT fill itself and that a rethink of the branding and logos to incorporate something a bit more 'sexy' and 'hip' will help create the momentum we'll need.

Personally, I like a round badge and would favour a larger, redesigned seagull, i.e. maybe not flying but with a puffed-out chest, something a bit different...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whatever happens, lets just hope there isn't some gimp going around other club message boards asking them to sign a petition not to have the badge altered.

P.S. Round badge or shield - both work for me.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I'm not a fan of having the logo inside the shield extending out of the shield - keep it entirely within the edge.

Re Falmer - I hope the club realise that the ground will NOT fill itself and that a rethink of the branding and logos to incorporate something a bit more 'sexy' and 'hip' will help create the momentum we'll need.

Personally, I like a round badge and would favour a larger, redesigned seagull, i.e. maybe not flying but with a puffed-out chest, something a bit different...

Im with you except keep the flying seagull. That is class hence Hollister have copied us ;-).. puffed out chest looks a bit carry on! As for crowds, well we get less than southend these days but for all the new board signings, nobody with ideas on marketing yet. Perhaps its on the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here