Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** The Official Wimbledon 2012 thread ***

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was reading that Sharapovo has got upset with comments Giles Simon has made about the equal prize money. He commented that he got the same for his 2nd round exit in a match lasting hours as a women who's match lasted half an hour.

He says the mans game is more exciting and Sharapova came back saying her matches get a bigger crowd that his - Its not because of the quality of tennis, dear.

Sooner we get representative prize money the better!!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
this really is a cracking wimbledon so far. i know some people would rather Rafa and Fed be in til the end but it really shows the strenght of the mens game! cannot believe the women are paid the same...didn't radwanska beat watson in 45 minutes or near?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Glad to see Federer get through. A great competitor and legend. He probably hasn't got many Wimbledons left in him so a Federer v Murray final would be incredible and I think Murray could edge it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
However the GREATEST ever female player at Wimbledon still has a reason to keep coming back if this picture tells the story that I think it does

51jKGD9ygyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was reading that Sharapovo has got upset with comments Giles Simon has made about the equal prize money. He commented that he got the same for his 2nd round exit in a match lasting hours as a women who's match lasted half an hour.

He says the mans game is more exciting and Sharapova came back saying her matches get a bigger crowd that his - Its not because of the quality of tennis, dear.

I used to think, the men play best of 5, the women only 3 so the men should get more moeny. However, on the counter to that, the argument is that the women train just as hard, spend as much time touring, give up the same amount of things when they are younger - just to succeed, so maybe they should get the same money.

If I was to come down on one side or the other, I would say that a good womens 3 set match cannot beat a good mens 5 setter - not the standard of the tennis, but the momentum shifts juring 5 sets can be so dramatic, and you just don't get the same level in 3 sets. Some of the best ever matches that I remember have been mens 5 setters which swung both ways several times. I remember an epic match between Borg and one of the Amritraj brothers. Remember the wimbles final between Fed and Rafa. I don't think womens can match up to it.

Then of course, there's the womens grunting, which for me makes it practically unwatchable.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just noticed that Murray is playing tomorrow, but not on Centre Court (second match on No.1). That's unusual isn't it ? They normally try to get him on Centre - maybe they're expecting bad weather later in the week. Just a guess.

Maybe they've changed the scheduling this year - I notice all the mens 4th round matches are due tomorrow - I thought they normally alternated them until later in the second week. This is better, if it works out, you don't get players in the semis with less rest than others.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Just noticed that Murray is playing tomorrow, but not on Centre Court (second match on No.1). That's unusual isn't it ? They normally try to get him on Centre - maybe they're expecting bad weather later in the week. Just a guess.

Maybe they've changed the scheduling this year - I notice all the mens 4th round matches are due tomorrow - I thought they normally alternated them until later in the second week. This is better, if it works out, you don't get players in the semis with less rest than others.

no everyone plays 4th round on the monday if possible then male/female alternates until the weekend i believe! if you can be arsed the 2nd monday is easily the best day to camp out for show court tickets

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
no everyone plays 4th round on the monday if possible then male/female alternates until the weekend i believe! if you can be arsed the 2nd monday is easily the best day to camp out for show court tickets

Ok, I'm wrong, just thought it had changed for some reason, but my memory is bad.

Looking at the draw, Ferrer v Del Porto looks like the match of the round.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Ok, I'm wrong, just thought it had changed for some reason, but my memory is bad.

Looking at the draw, Ferrer v Del Porto looks like the match of the round.

yeah i agree, reckon Ferrer will edge him actually - he's playing very well.

both centre and court 1 order of plays for Monday are mouthwatering - would love to be there tomorrow if the weather was ok.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
yeah i agree, reckon Ferrer will edge him actually - he's playing very well.

both centre and court 1 order of plays for Monday are mouthwatering - would love to be there tomorrow if the weather was ok.

Yeah, as long as the weathers good, should be a top day. Looks like I'm "working at home" so should see it all - then again, I watch it when I'm at work anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here