Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** The Official Wimbledon 2012 thread ***

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm gonna say it. I'm actually gonna say it.

I think Murray will get to the final this year. It's opened up nicely.

That's ruined it for everyone now.

Now you've done it !!

Can see him getting to the final, two difficult matches to get through, though, Ferrer then probably Tsonga - but it's do-able. Djok and Fed looks to have straight forward routes to the semi. On current form you would think Djok would beat Fed - but you never can tell. If it's a Djok / Murray final, you would expect Djok to win, but if it's Fed / Murray final it could go either way.

Certainly not counting on Murray getting to the final, just speculating.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Now you've done it !!

Can see him getting to the final, two difficult matches to get through, though, Ferrer then probably Tsonga - but it's do-able. Djok and Fed looks to have straight forward routes to the semi. On current form you would think Djok would beat Fed - but you never can tell. If it's a Djok / Murray final, you would expect Djok to win, but if it's Fed / Murray final it could go either way.

Certainly not counting on Murray getting to the final, just speculating.

Agree with this. This is why I was delighted that Federer recovered the other night when he looked down and out, and others were all "ooh ooh Nadal AND Federer out - that's great for Murray". Quite the opposite, as you say - Murray's best chance of winning it, is if Fed gets to the semi and beats Djokovic. Realistically nobody else is going to stop Djok, and if he does get to the final, he'd surely beat Murray comfortably.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agree with this. This is why I was delighted that Federer recovered the other night when he looked down and out, and others were all "ooh ooh Nadal AND Federer out - that's great for Murray". Quite the opposite, as you say - Murray's best chance of winning it, is if Fed gets to the semi and beats Djokovic. Realistically nobody else is going to stop Djok, and if he does get to the final, he'd surely beat Murray comfortably.

You would think so, but anything can happen in a one-off match, but I woudn't put money on it. Still, a Wimbles final for Murray would be an improvement.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What an absolute load of tripe. Federer is just as likely to beat Murray as Djokovic would be. I'm not sure if it's passed you by, but Federer is reasonably competant on grass.

Of course it's not "tripe" - all I'm saying is, I think Murray would have a better chance against Fed than he would against Djok - I think that's pretty much obvious. I'm not saying Murray would beat Fed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
EDIT FOUND IT: Murray's record vs Federer:

8-6 to Murray is the most recent I can find, and also -

Murray vs Djokovic:

4-3 to Djok.

Krajicek reckons Murray WILL win it this year if he continues playing the tennis he is now.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Of course it's not "tripe" - all I'm saying is, I think Murray would have a better chance against Fed than he would against Djok - I think that's pretty much obvious. I'm not saying Murray would beat Fed.

It is absolute tripe. Murray would have the same chance against Federer as he does against Djokovic, extremely slim.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is absolute tripe. Murray would have the same chance against Federer as he does against Djokovic, extremely slim.

Not really. He beats Federer more often than Federer beats him. That gives him an alright chance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
EDIT FOUND IT: Murray's record vs Federer:

8-6 to Murray is the most recent I can find, and also -

Murray vs Djokovic:

4-3 to Djok.

Krajicek reckons Murray WILL win it this year if he continues playing the tennis he is now.

I assume that is all matches, I think grass only matches would make a better comparison which is probably Murrey nil v either

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I assume that is all matches, I think grass only matches would make a better comparison which is probably Murrey nil v either

According to what I've found, he's barely played either of them on grass, very few times. Never played either of them at Wimbledon.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Mansour Bahrami on the red button. :bowdown:

Doubles with Leconte vs McNamee & McNamara.

Kiri's back on Court One vs Radwanska as well.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
According to what I've found, he's barely played either of them on grass, very few times. Never played either of them at Wimbledon.

That's all I could find as well. I thought Murray had played Fed at Wimbledon, but I have a terrible memory.

In grand slams v Federer lost one US open and one Aussie Open - both finals

In grand slams v Djok lost two Aussie opens 1 semi 1 final

So no meetings on grass with either

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Ferrer should be no trouble for Murray on grass, the same with Tsonga, but he will have to get very lucky against Federer or Djokovic as they are a class above him.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Come on Lisicki!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just got back from Centre Court - my first ever visit. I was staggered by how empty it was.
I don't understand this: the papers are full of stories about people queueing up CC tickets and yet the place is like Selhurst Park before a Groupon deal. I was watching Williams v Kvitova and the place was only half-full.

Why do so many people buy tickets and not turn up? I'd have thought a match between two former winners would be a bit of an attraction but clearly not. It left me baffled.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just got back from Centre Court - my first ever visit. I was staggered by how empty it was.
I don't understand this: the papers are full of stories about people queueing up CC tickets and yet the place is like Selhurst Park before a Groupon deal. I was watching Williams v Kvitova and the place was only half-full.

Why do so many people buy tickets and not turn up? I'd have thought a match between two former winners would be a bit of an attraction but clearly not. It left me baffled.

Because women's tennis is shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here