Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***The official Sports personality of the year thread***

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Best man won it for sure IMHO :)

Shame to see Mo not make the podium but I think the Olympics/Athletics vote got split with Ennis there so that's fair enough. I certainly don't begrudge Murray his third spot. Great show all round.

One thing's for sure, that was a bloody AMAZING year for British sport! Once in a lifetime year there I reckon.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Disappointed that a man who rides a bike won it and not a proper sportsman, well a cyclist isn't a sportsman in my eyes, but I expect I will be told that I am wrong.

OK I'll bite. Whats your definition of a proper sportsman. Or sport?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Disappointed that a man who rides a bike won it and not a proper sportsman, well a cyclist isn't a sportsman in my eyes, but I expect I will be told that I am wrong.

I am delighted to fulfill your expectations.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Best man won it for sure IMHO :)

Shame to see Mo not make the podium but I think the Olympics/Athletics vote got split with Ennis there so that's fair enough. I certainly don't begrudge Murray his third spot. Great show all round.

One thing's for sure, that was a bloody AMAZING year for British sport! Once in a lifetime year there I reckon.

Worth noting that a winner of a Grand Slam tennis tournament ony got third. And Mo shares not making the top three with the world no 1 at golf. That's quite a year.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Worth noting that a winner of a Grand Slam tennis tournament ony got third. And Mo shares not making the top three with the world no 1 at golf. That's quite a year.

Excellent point. In most other years they'd have picked up the winners award. Someone on here was making a case for Ben Ainslie a while back too, and to be honest there's nothing to disagree with there either - he'd have certainly made a worthy winner.

To use the sporting term - the bar was set so high this year that it almost beggars belief.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do not class anything on wheels or in boats as a sport.
These fellas must be off to the shops, then:-
1178992717.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Excellent point. In most other years they'd have picked up the winners award. Someone on here was making a case for Ben Ainslie a while back too, and to be honest there's nothing to disagree with there either - he'd have certainly made a worthy winner.

To use the sporting term - the bar was set so high this year that it almost beggars belief.

Murray won 2 olympic medals as well. He's had some year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

and still won by a 'minority' sport.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I do not class anything on wheels or in boats as a sport.

So that rules out most of the Paralympic Team.
I'll have a go. Sport is any physical contest against yourself or multiples of other contestants in a team or individuals. Think that rules out Darts but leaves Bowles in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]280445987762348032[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here