Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***The official Sports personality of the year thread***

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
and still won by a 'minority' sport.

I can't stand it myself, I mean, even my kids can ride a bike, what's hard about that!? It's not really a 'sport' is it. That bike rider was dressed rather fetchingly tonight though so credit where credits due I suppose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do not class anything on wheels or in boats as a sport.
Where do you stand on rope?
Tug-of-war was a summer Olympic event from 1900 to 1920

What about paint?
Perhaps acrylics is out, but charcoal?
Olympic Medals were given for works of art inspired by sports from 1912 to 1946.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So that rules out most of the Paralympic Team.
I'll have a go. Sport is any physical contest against yourself or multiples of other contestants in a team or individuals. Think that rules out Darts but leaves Bowles in.

He'll be delighted :wink:

peter-bowles-006.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Where do you stand on rope?

Tug-of-war was a summer Olympic event from 1900 to 1920

Well one thing's for sure...give him enough and.........well we all know the rest.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can they run?

Excellent point Sir!

Right my tin lids can forget another visit to the Diamond League event at Crystal Palace again next year. I mean, what's that all about! :shrug:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There is at least 2 Olympic medalists in this picture and 1 or 2 others who did not get medals. The boat in front is in the New Zealand team with an English driver, the one at the back is sailing in the Hong Kong team. There are at least 8 other International 3 boat teams,not in the picture, with all sorts of medals among them. Oh and me.
As far as minority sports I would suggest that there are more people who take part in competitive cycling or competitive sailing than play competitive football. As an example.

Ultimatum063.jpg

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If Ben Ainslie manages to win the forthcoming Americas Cup (in America) that GB has never won in its 150 year (?) history - in spite of us creating it, then he should be pencilled in for SPOTY 2013.

Mind you that is a huge 'if' - and if a hard man like Ainslie can't do it then we may have to wait another 150 years.

D

Deleted member 18477

Ennis should have been nowhere near the top three

Why? She has to be good at 7 events. All Mo has to do is run... Joking aside Ennis is a worthy runner up. She's beautiful! And we all got to see her cracking ass again!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The right result, not only with Wiggins but also with Bolt, Coe and Brailsford.

The only low points were the football. I fast-forwarded the bits with Chelsea and Euro 2012.

".......At the after-show party, Wiggins joined the house band on stage as he played guitar to songs by The Jam and Oasis" (from the BBC web site).:bowdown:

That's what I call a sports personality - and he looked cool as well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here