Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 finals in the final day of the Velodrome.

2 from 3 should be expected.
All eyes on Laura Trott to make it 3.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Hahahaha.

While British fans have been enjoying a bevy of golds at the London Olympics, our friends across the Channel seem to be having a hard time rationalising Team GB's success.

Fans and officials have been left baffled by just how well our athletes are doing. And nowhere more so than in the Velodrome, with France's track cycling team director Isabelle Gautheron suggesting that British stars such as Victoria Pendleton and Sir Chris Hoy are using 'Magic Wheels'.

"We are asking a lot of questions: how have they gained so many tenths of seconds? Have they found a new training process based on certain energy pathways? I am not talking about any illicit product, because anti-doping tests are so strong," a perplexed Gautheron told L'Equipe.

"Honestly, we are looking a lot at the kit they use. It is not yet time to analyse, though. It's all over for these Games.

"They hide their wheels a lot. The ones for the bikes they race on are put in wheel covers at the finish (of a race). Do they really have (official supplier) Mavic wheels? We know that they work with McLaren."

British Cycling performance director Dave Brailsford laughed at the French line of questioning.

"It's interesting that people are starting to ask questions. It's no different from when we raced the last three and a half weeks at the Tour de France," he said.

"It's the same method, the same philosophy and essentially fantastic coaching which is the only secret weapon we possess. As far as the Olympic Games go, only two weeks are important: one week in Beijing, one week here. And we've peaked for both."

Question marks have also been raised about Jessica Ennis. Thierry Vautrat, a journalist with Ouest France, tweeted after her win in the Heptathlon: "Ennis? She's a bit unreal. Wonder how she could win the (final event) 800m so easily, with no pain. Surprising."

Britain's performances in cycling and rowing also started trending in France on Twitter with French fans unhappy about how Britain were allowed restarts in both events.

L'Equipe said that perceived favouritism towards the hosts had left "a great part of the public and TV viewers incredulous".

Meanwhile, Le Monde noted how French internet users "exasperated by the turn of events in the men's pairs rowing final on Saturday, reinvented the rules of the Olympic sports in favour of representatives of her gracious majesty".

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
i was a le tour watcher years ago......only recently rediscovered it.. was totally glued to the tour this year and that enthusiasm has continued into all aspects of the cycling at the olympics. i was asked today if any sport had really grabbed my attention - has to be the cycling. have enjoyed the wiggo interviews, the 3sum of jake, cav and jamie talking tactics and still love the boardman. i drove up to surrey yesterday, even in the pissing rain there were nutters out at boxhill....( many more sheltering under the trees!).... i will never be a cyclist, but i am in awe of our achievements and the sheer quality of the background staff.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can we make it 3 tomorrow to totally smash our Beijing gold total, looking good!!!

Only two needed - we got 19 in Beijing (47 in total). Currently 18 gold (40 in total).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Trott going fantastically in the Omnium joint first overnight.

Really enjoyed the Omnium events, points race is a bit boring though.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Hahahaha.

While British fans have been enjoying a bevy of golds at the London Olympics, our friends across the Channel seem to be having a hard time rationalising Team GB's success.

Fans and officials have been left baffled by just how well our athletes are doing. And nowhere more so than in the Velodrome, with France's track cycling team director Isabelle Gautheron suggesting that British stars such as Victoria Pendleton and Sir Chris Hoy are using 'Magic Wheels'.

"We are asking a lot of questions: how have they gained so many tenths of seconds? Have they found a new training process based on certain energy pathways? I am not talking about any illicit product, because anti-doping tests are so strong," a perplexed Gautheron told L'Equipe.

"Honestly, we are looking a lot at the kit they use. It is not yet time to analyse, though. It's all over for these Games.

"They hide their wheels a lot. The ones for the bikes they race on are put in wheel covers at the finish (of a race). Do they really have (official supplier) Mavic wheels? We know that they work with McLaren."

Ha ha ha, Boardman:

"They're the same wheels we used in Athens, i'll tell you that for a fact - the main thing about the wheels is they're round"

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
All these questions about the GB team are ridiculous. As my post the other day showed, it is about peaking at the right time. Our main rivals on the track, Australia, have gone backwards since the Worlds whereas we have gone forward. Maybe the french press should be asking questions of their coaches not casting aspersions as to why we are so much better than them. We could also do the same to them, how did France get four times the number of golds in London than they did in Beijing, something does not add up, they must have special trunks or swimming costumes. See how easy it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can we make it 3 tomorrow to totally smash our Beijing gold total, looking good!!!
If you're talking cycling specific then yes.

I posted on the 'next medal' thread:

2 from 3 tomorrow, up to Laura to make it 3 from 3.

That was before she smashed the eliminator, maybe 3 from 3 making 8 gold & 1 bronze.
Which is before BMX and mountain biking.

I'm dizzy.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If you're talking cycling specific then yes.

I posted on the 'next medal' thread:

2 from 3 tomorrow, up to Laura to make it 3 from 3.

That was before she smashed the eliminator, maybe 3 from 3 making 8 gold & 1 bronze.
Which is before BMX and mountain biking.

I'm dizzy.

Still not as many golds as we got in the cycling in Beijing?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hurrah, Kenny just wins a GOLD on my V plus.

Boo, I had two tickets for tommorows Velodrome and it wouldnt process them

Hurrah, Laura Trott elimination races are just classic

Last day tommorow, then we are nearly into the Vuelta.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

:lol: what idiots. If we didn't use the correct wheels, don't they think the officials would notice? If the officials aren't paying attention, why don't we stick a motor on there.

Seriously, who in the world didn't know we were the best at track cycling? And when was the last time a host nation didn't win more medals than their previous Olympics?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Trott going fantastically in the Omnium joint first overnight.

Really enjoyed the Omnium events, points race is a bit boring though.

The Elimination race is fantastic, Trott had me on edge a few times but I needn't have worried!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Elimination race is fantastic, Trott had me on edge a few times but I needn't have worried!
Yep, great fun to watch that. It's not run properly though, Clancy lost out because of judging mistakes - the judge have to decide by eye, and if the last cyclist doesn't stop, the others may relax with that rider behind them and find themselves eliminated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here