Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Fantastic day, great seeing Wiggins as well as all the other cycling stars. Amazing how Wiggins has become a household name so quickly. More interestingly will it change the attitude to cycling in this country on a long term basis with more investment in cycling and people getting on their bikes. Judging by the attitude of car drivers around today I still very much doubt it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No management required, I have guaranteed golds.
Have you been into a v/drome before?

T'is a wondrous thing, I pooped myself, then half an hour later I was riding round the top line.

Mentals.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

T'is a wondrous thing, I pooped myself, then half an hour later I was riding round the top line.

Mentals.

I have to confess that I haven't, so it will be a whole new experience - one that I have to say I'm rather looking forward to. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to confess that I haven't, so it will be a whole new experience - one that I have to say I'm rather looking forward to. :)
All I'll say is the camera doesn't do it justice.

Please report back, after your day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Typical security issues.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NyyM3PsoJf

Oh well so much for seeing Froome and his Bronze, medal.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
We were on the roundabout just after Kingston Bridge today - Froome was FLYING! The whole place was rammed, a rippling wall of noise for every rider, but when a Team GB rider arrived the noise level doubled. Absolutely awesome. I'm gutted for Cancellara - a very brave ride when he really wasn't able to. I still think Brad would've won it though.

The track team kick off tomorrow, and I'm predicting 2 golds for team pursuit, medals for team sprints, keirin and sprint, and a gold for Laura Trott in the Omnium. Anna Mears is bloody flying though...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I love the fact that not only is Wiggo a mega athlete but also he is so cool with the media and even converses with the French in their own lingo who seem to love him which is an achievement in its self. Plus he isn't above taking the mick. Seems highly respected across the World for all the right reasons. An all round good egg. Am very proud that he is 'ours'.

He can easily eclipse Beckham as our next global sporting ambassador.

Interesting that shortly after winning todays TT he mentioned about going to the next Olympics in Rio so he can win a 5th gold. I hope he does although he might have to ease off on the TdFs a bit.

To celebrate his success I shall be touching up the rather faded 'Go Wiggo' logo painted on the road by my gaff which is left over from where he led the local satge of the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great day

You must have been near me - about 1.5 km from the finish. Your photos, which don't seem to have appeared here, look like my view. A brilliant viewing spot, a huge, long straight...you could see the riders come round a corner about 600m away. When Wiggo and Froome were approaching the noise was incredible - and the speed!
That was just a fantastic day - my only Olympic event, and the best of the lot.
Sod SPOTY, he deserves a sainthood.

mrbigshot

Dec 15, 2009
Mid Sussex
You must have been near me - about 1.5 km from the finish. Your photos, which don't seem to have appeared here, look like my view. A brilliant viewing spot, a huge, long straight...you could see the riders come round a corner about 600m away. When Wiggo and Froome were approaching the noise was incredible - and the speed!
That was just a fantastic day - my only Olympic event, and the best of the lot.
Sod SPOTY, he deserves a sainthood.

Yeah that sounds about about right, think I may been a little closer than 600m to the the corner though. I agree the noise for Froome and Wiggins was amazing! A really nice atmosphere around as well. I got some great videos.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not long been back and to say " What a bloody brilliant day that was!" doesn't even begin to do it justice.

Amazing crowds out again and the Allez Allez Allez and cheers for EVERY rider as they went through was just superb. Real tingle down the spine moments again.

Gutted that LL Sanchez had that dreadful mechanical on the start ramp, real shame as he'd almost certainly have posted a good time otherwise. And what can be said about Spatacus that SB hasn't already mentioned that Jens Voigt said? - True courage to come out and give that a go today :bowdown:

As for Wiggins and Froome - still have to pinch ourselves that all this is happening in British Road Cycling right now. That loaves of bread falling off the table rather than just crumbs analogy probably sums it up best.

Loving it ! And look, a whole post without even mentioning the fantasy game...opps :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've not got near a Velodrome ticket for either these or the paralympics. Anyone know when the next scheduled cycling events at the London Velodrome will be?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What a fantastic day, bang in the middle of Kingston bridge and you could hear the wall of noise when Froome and Wiggo cycle up alongside the river into Kingston. I just do not have words to describe what Bristish cycle has managed over the past few weeks and months.

Onto the track and straight into the sprints, its not on the telly so I assume they are not showing the sprint qualifying.

In the mens Grégory Baugé looks unstoppable bar the race where Kenny tried to just outpace him so he has a weakness perhaps. Hoy is always vulnerable to that in the early stages.

Lets hope the Brits avoid each other in the early rounds.

In the womens you would think Pendelton and Mears are to battle on last time, although Guo Shuang looked unstoppable in the test event in February.

Whatever happens the sprints and Kerains are always so bloody exciting and lots of speed, actions and tactics, one for cool heads and powerful legs.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've not got near a Velodrome ticket for either these or the paralympics. Anyone know when the next scheduled cycling events at the London Velodrome will be?

Its being closed down for months even a year or so while they build an Eastway style track around it, a mountain bike course and cyle cafe/shop/clubhouse. The big other event happened in February when they held the 4 day World cup/championship. So all the riders have risen there competitively.

Next big local one is the opening of the Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow in November when they hold a round of the world cup, will be the first one without Vicky, so may be time for Jess Varnish to shine. I would imagine London may bid for a round of the World cup or run a revolution meet end of 2013 early 2014.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its being closed down for months even a year or so while they build an Eastway style track around it, a mountain bike course and cyle cafe/shop/clubhouse. The big other event happened in February when they held the 4 day World cup/championship. So all the riders have risen there competitively.

Next big local one is the opening of the Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow in November when they hold a round of the world cup, will be the first one without Vicky, so may be time for Jess Varnish to shine. I would imagine London may bid for a round of the World cup or run a revolution meet end of 2013 early 2014.

Thanks, so you reckon no real competitions, even nationals until end of 2013?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just seen London is going to Bid for 2016 Track World Championships, excellent news.

Image of what the London Velo Park will look like then. Join British Cycling on a Sky Ride membership about £20 a year and you get priority on most velodrome events (not Olympics unfortunately - but neither do the riders 2 per competitor) and you invest in our up and coming cyclists.

Attachments

• london_velopark_15-12-11.jpg
    london_velopark_15-12-11.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 53

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Thanks, so you reckon no real competitions, even nationals until end of 2013?

Well we are now blessed with three soon to be four velodromes, Manchester will remain the HQ, Glasgow will be the new one (holding world cup - Commonwealth games) , London will be run by a local organisation but will obviously have the backing of London for big events, but will have to go through a period of rebuilding before it can start bidding and all these bids take time. Newport appears to be the favoured training camp especially with the use of near by Celtic Manor as a base.

I would imagine they may have a Revolution meet especially now itv4 show them, once all the work is completed. I am excited about having this on our doorstep and not having to Sleck up to Manchester and Glasgow once its complete.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I'll fall out of love with Bradley very quickly if he persists with the compulsory helmet campaign. Walk away Wiggo, Each to their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here