Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll fall out of love with Bradley very quickly if he persists with the compulsory helmet campaign. Walk away Wiggo, Each to their own.
Why? It's not all about the cyclist. I'd imagine a driver's life could easily be ruined by killing a cyclist - and if this could be prevented by wearing a helmet then I'm all for it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll fall out of love with Bradley very quickly if he persists with the compulsory helmet campaign. Walk away Wiggo, Each to their own.

What are your views on seatbelts in cars, out of interest? Do you think they should be a matter of choice.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They had the same debate when pro cyclists had to start wearing helmets in the Grand Tours. Now its just done, sensible part of safe cycling.

The professionals do thousands of miles of training on the roads, I am sure they have seen it all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really really odd visit to my place of work 7 years or so ago from a Safe Cycling campaign or something saying you shouldn't have to wear a helmet as psychologically makes the cyclist more safe and more prone to take risks. I kicked off as a friend of mine got hit by a speeding stolen car, was in intensive care for 2 weeks, broke his back and has a scar from ear to ear where the helmet had dug into his head where he kit and bounced off the top of the car. Effectively the surgeon said that without doubt, the helmet saved his life. Just a simple £25 helmet was the difference between life and death in his case.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Live from the Olympic Park:

- From the outside the Velodrome looks STUNNING.

- The whole park is brilliant. Whoever posted on another thread about there being no atmosphere is talking out of their arse.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Well we are now blessed with three soon to be four velodromes, Manchester will remain the HQ, Glasgow will be the new one (holding world cup - Commonwealth games) , London will be run by a local organisation but will obviously have the backing of London for big events, but will have to go through a period of rebuilding before it can start bidding and all these bids take time. Newport appears to be the favoured training camp especially with the use of near by Celtic Manor as a base.

I would imagine they may have a Revolution meet especially now itv4 show them, once all the work is completed. I am excited about having this on our doorstep and not having to Sleck up to Manchester and Glasgow once its complete.

Its a long way from the days of Leicester and its outdoor wooden track. I remember Jason Queally getting a splinter from the track about a foot long through his back!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Really really odd visit to my place of work 7 years or so ago from a Safe Cycling campaign or something saying you shouldn't have to wear a helmet as psychologically makes the cyclist more safe and more prone to take risks. I kicked off as a friend of mine got hit by a speeding stolen car, was in intensive care for 2 weeks, broke his back and has a scar from ear to ear where the helmet had dug into his head where he kit and bounced off the top of the car. Effectively the surgeon said that without doubt, the helmet saved his life. Just a simple £25 helmet was the difference between life and death in his case.

I think that piece of research was one of the most idiotic I had read for years. I think it also mentioned that car drivers treat cyclist without helmets differently giving them more space on the road. None of it made any sense and just gave fuel to the nonsense viewpoint of I do what I want on the road. While to a certain extent as an adult I care less whether they decide to wear a helmet or not, I think it sent completely the wrong messages to children and youths cycling. Even now I end up in a heated discussion when people bring up this research

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The point about the helmet debate is that it's irrelevant. Why?
- safe cycling cities (with high quality of life, air quality, fitness, health levels) have hardly any cyclist deaths and hardly anyone wears a helmet.
- a helmet would make no difference at all to the outcome of the vast majority of the 'accidents' killing cyclists in London especially and also elsewhere in the UK. We are crushed by lorries.
- experience elsewhere (eg Australia) has shown that making helmets compulsory reduces levels of cycling.

To make cycling safer, so that kids can cycle to their friends' homes and so that people aren't put off by the danger, we need changes to infrastructure (separated routes designed to help cyclists get places, junctions redesigned, etc).

The helmet debate is at best misguided and at worst victim-blaming.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just heading off, lets hope we can be super greedy and be in for 4 medals....

New free Velocast CC podcast, reviewing the two Olympic Road races, its very good

velocast cc - Velocast & Race Radio
I'm not having this Horton.

I've listened to them on and off, for over a year.
I found this hour long one tremendously negative, even on the bits they were trying to be positive about, ie women's cycling.

That is until they start talking about the one aspect the want your money for, then cycling is the greatest thing in the world.
It didn't sit comfortably, and I'll not be paying for their podcast.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm not having this Horton.

I've listened to them on and off, for over a year.
I found this hour long one tremendously negative, even on the bits they were trying to be positive about, ie women's cycling.

That is until they start talking about the one aspect the want your money for, then cycling is the greatest thing in the world.
It didn't sit comfortably, and I'll not be paying for their podcast.

Fair dues, thought they were OTT on the money. but still think its a very good podcast.

Womens team sprint, you may hate this statement more as I don't want to jinx them (really thought Lizzie would win Gold) but I have had a great feeling that Jess and Vicky may nail this...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair dues, thought they were OTT on the money. but still think its a very good podcast.

Womens team sprint, you may hate this statement more as I don't want to jinx them (really thought Lizzie would win Gold) but I have had a great feeling that Jess and Vicky may nail Stat Brother...

Just made the necessary amendment.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Chinese just break the world record thats just been broken by GB, WOW

Jess Varnish will need to find another couple of tenths if we are to beat the chinese. Vicky has it in her to pull back a bit but China going out in 18.4 will be tough to beat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet Chris and the secret squirrels are sh1tting themselves over this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
take that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here