Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Only to podium as a surprise. Ideally it needs to be shorter for both him and Phinney (who could also surprise podium.

I'm amazed that the US chose Phinney over TJvG over this sort of distance. Unless TJ is suffering from the after effects of the Tour I'm certain he would do a better job.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I've stuck £20 on Tony Martin. A dull German diesel pissing all over the Team GB Parade - that is the script isn't it?

Obv would like to see Wiggins win but i'm not sure he's got the raw horsepower for this but would LOVE to be proved wrong...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Agree with both the above. TJVG seemed the better choice and Tony Martin playing his chances down really cleverly. Mechanicals and injury in TdF, that injury shouldn't trouble him today.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At a rough estimate, what kind of time will it take to finish the course?

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
heading up to Esher now, think there is a big screen at Weston Green so hopefully can see them all finish. Very excited and think Wiggins can take it if he is fully recovered but not quite as easy as the media are making out

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Wiggo to get a medal but not sure he's nailed on for the Gold. Unlike the TdF this is a one-off so his rivals can channel their full energies into today plus he is now the man they all want to beat. Will be interesting to see what Froome can do now he is off the leash, he may have a point to prove.

I also think the girls have a decent chance of medalling but again the Gold might be a big ask.

If Wiggo does get Gold then he deserves every accolade going as I don't think we will see such a mega month for one individual in British cycling for many years, if ever.

Oh......and even if there is disappointment today we still have the track events to come.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Right, so that's a Gold and a Bronze from the boating lot this morning, what can the cyclists add to the collection?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Agree with both the above. TJVG seemed the better choice and Tony Martin playing his chances down really cleverly. Mechanicals and injury in TdF, that injury shouldn't trouble him today.

The Americans said quite early in the year that it was either Phinney or Zabriskie. The latter pulled out of contention once the whole USADA/Armstrong things blew up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No medal for Pooley or Armitstead....Wiggins and Froome it's over to you.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Well, that's Senor Sanchez's medal chances buggered literally before he got out of the blocks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any medal for Wiggo and that's SPOTY wrapped up. A good performance in the tennis by Murray and he could get Best Overseas sportsman of the year..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Come on Bradley!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here