Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The Official "Brighton Magiko" Song - As chosen by fans on NSC ****

Prepared to have a Drum for this song only, in Northstand, on a limited trial?

• No, over my dead body.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Yes, I'd trial it,to see how it works.

Votes: 98 58.7%

• Total voters

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As Dr. Notthenine'oclocknews says it was actually Alan Mullery's aces & what was so wrong with that. Perhaps I'm just nostalgic but sounded pretty good in the north stand at the Goldstone, updated for most of the managers who followed, Chris Catlin etc. Doesn't work quite so well with Lewes or Falmer Road but so what.

No, you're missing my point. It's a brilliant song, it sounds great. But if on NSC in 1975 or whenever it started (I wasn't alive then so don't mock me) someone had suggested we nick Newcastle's 'Blaydon Races' song and changed it to 'Alan Mullery's Aces' or 'Brighon Aces', then people would have been queuing up to call it shit/cringeworthy/emabarassing/pathetic etc. Same goes for loads of our songs. But NSC didn't exist then so people didn't sit behind their computers being negative because they were scared of singing something new, they heard the song in the ground and so learnt it and sung it.

Tell you what Brighton Aces has some really dodgy lyrics if you analyse it, it would never have passed the NSC Moaners Test

Of course it wouldn't. What I want to know is, do other clubs have this many moaners? If someone in Liverpool had suggested they adapted 'Fields of Athenry' to 'Fields of Anfield Road' on the internet today, do you think loads of people on their board would be saying how shit and cringeworthy it is? Their version of that song has terrible lyrics, it doesn't even make sense. How does it sound when 40,000 sing it? Fantastic. Spine-tingling in fact.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
:facepalm: the whole Ultras thing is shit, this ant f***ing Greece, Italy what ever other fake contrived atmosphere ya wanna talk about.

f***ing fails me yeah lets copy other people to make our selves look good, which actually makes us look bloody awful.

f***ing Ultras, no offence to the people in it, but no thanks.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
:facepalm: the whole Ultras thing is shit, this ant f***ing Greece, Italy what ever other fake contrived atmosphere ya wanna talk about.

f***ing fails me yeah lets copy other people to make our selves look good, which actually makes us look bloody awful.

So what's your offering then? I'm no ultra, i'd like to hear your suggestions though. GO!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
No, you're missing my point. It's a brilliant song, it sounds great. But if on NSC in 1975 or whenever it started (I wasn't alive then so don't mock me) someone had suggested we nick Newcastle's 'Blaydon Races' song and changed it to 'Alan Mullery's Aces' or 'Brighon Aces', then people would have been queuing up to call it shit/cringeworthy/emabarassing/pathetic etc. Same goes for loads of our songs. But NSC didn't exist then so people didn't sit behind their computers being negative because they were scared of singing something new, they heard the song in the ground and so learnt it and sung it.

Of course it wouldn't. What I want to know is, do other clubs have this many moaners? If someone in Liverpool had suggested they adapted 'Fields of Athenry' to 'Fields of Anfield Road' on the internet today, do you think loads of people on their board would be saying how shit and cringeworthy it is? Their version of that song has terrible lyrics, it doesn't even make sense. How does it sound when 40,000 sing it? Fantastic. Spine-tingling in fact.

Ah yes you do. Soz

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
:what ever other fake contrived atmosphere ya wanna talk about.

Tell me where at a sports venue in this country atmosphere isn't contrived

The only execption is ribbing a supporter from another team who maybe fat, bald, female, etc - BUT that just uses an existing song changed to the situation. This is fine for away matches but when does this really happen at home matches.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Have you ever been to a game abroad?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4435884 said:
You do realise it's "Brighton Aces" because it is a play on the original song Blaydon Races...

Oh my God why do people keep missing my point? I wasn't slating the Brighton Aces song, it's a great song, and yes of course I know it was the Blaydon Races originally, I've already mentioned that on this thread!

My point is, if you think about it, the lyrics are crap, and it's shamelessly stolen from Newcastle. And if it was suggested now, on NSC, people would have shot it down in flames. But they didn't then because there was no internet and no NSC, so it got going and now it is a regular song, and one of our best. In fact probably THE best. The same can happen with this Magiko song, or any other new song for that matter.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I totally agree Sam, problem is they won't...... they will passively tear into what they don't like, without taking any action to offer what they do.

Many of the people on the "ban the palace song" thread gave their reason as: our efforts were pants compared to how well they sang it and kept pace.

For a start nobody is trying to copy those scumbags, but as someone with a close STH friend in the Holmesdale, the flak the NSK get today is exactly the same as their "fanatics" got a couple of years ago.....moaning, its shit, it won't work......I know this because my mate was one of the objectors when a small group started doing stuff foreign to him. Now all their fans sing the we love you song....... they keep tempo, because at Selhurst they have a drum.

I am in the no drum camp personally, but its ironic that a lot of people who said palace did I love you so well whilst moaning about the NSK, don't get the parallels at all.

I take my hat off to you. I can't quite believe the (unts who are saying it's bollocks/foreign crap etc. Fingers crossed on this one :D

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4435884 said:
You do realise it's "Brighton Aces" because it is a play on the original song Blaydon Races...

I'm familiar with that due to the fact i'm not a fuckwit, however I KNOW how it was sung in The North Stand in 1978 (the Alan Mullery version) due to the fact I was there, however in those days we didn't have the song police, we just sung a song and if you didn't like it, tough shit, but in them days the Albion going public were not as far up their own arses so they just sung any old shite in order to make a noise

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
What a surprise the first mention of the NSK and people don't give the song a chance and start coming up with really funny jokes! He f***ing he he.

Christ on a bike, For the record regards a drum and others who were there CAN BACK ME UP, at the fans meeting with Tony Bloom and co regards atmosphere it was asked if anyone wants a drum everyone said no, Then someone mentioned that they didn't know if the NSK wanted one, Having spoke with some of the nsk on their forum I pipped up and CONFIRMED THAT AT THAT TIME THE NSK DIDN'T WANT A DRUM. It was settled so we can chuck that insult out.

Secondly this wasn't a song made up by the NSK that you all have to follow, It was suggested on here by a Brighton fan, then some other Brighton fans liked it and suggested adaptations until it got to its current guise. All the NSK are doing is printing 5000 leaflets for it and will be singing it loud. I really don't know how even the most anti NSK NSCr can be anti that?!? How dare they try and make noise?

Third, How is this 'too complex' its just repetition! My f-ing GOLD FISH could learn this!

Fourth, Too the keep it simple and easy brigade... Why don't you suggest something then and get it going? All these guys are doing is trying to create an atmosphere!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm familiar with that due to the fact i'm not a fuckwit, however I KNOW how it was sung in The North Stand in 1978 (the Alan Mullery version) due to the fact I was there, however in those days we didn't have the song police, we just sung a song and if you didn't like it, tough shit, but in them days the Albion going public were not as far up their own arses so they just sung any old shite in order to make a noise

He was talking to me not you. But not to worry, he has apologised now. Move on.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Ignore the moaning miseries.
Let's give it a go (including the drum).
Fair play for putting all the effort in - on that basis alone you should be supported.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And how do you expect to achieve this? Magic? Or by doing something to organise it?

Exactly, same with the 'We're the East Stand We're the....' round robin between the 3 stands in order, never going to work spontaneously, needs to be organised somehow (no idea how).

For new songs, I've always thought away from home is the best time to try these out. If they don't work away from home, then they ain't ever going to work. Get something going away from home for a few games, if it's catching on and sounding good, try it at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here