Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The Official "Brighton Magiko" Song - As chosen by fans on NSC ****

Prepared to have a Drum for this song only, in Northstand, on a limited trial?

• No, over my dead body.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Yes, I'd trial it,to see how it works.

Votes: 98 58.7%

• Total voters

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Only being 18 myself, I hate all the ultra stuff, I'm sure that there are people, young and old, who like it. But IMHO we should look to the basics of getting GOSBTS sung correctly first, and then move on to new songs, which still should be based away from 'continental ultra' singing.

I agree GOSBTS needs to be done properly with words on the screen as the players come out and the chant needs to be slowed during the matches.
This song is not traditional Euro Ultra type chant. Its very similar in parts to "Stripes go steaming in". The parts "Oh when the stripes (Oh when the stripes" "Go Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeaming in(Go Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeaming in" are very simliar to the My Al-bi-on My B-H-A parts of the chant. Its got no whoaaaaaaaaaa parts to it, its just a chant with rythm and clapping. Quite British actually.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Only being 18 myself, I hate all the ultra stuff, I'm sure that there are people, young and old, who like it. But IMHO we should look to the basics of getting GOSBTS sung correctly first, and then move on to new songs, which still should be based away from 'continental ultra' singing.

I hear you fella, and you are 100% right in my eyes, but it seems that people just don't join in with GOSBTS as much as we used to. I sing it, and a few people along our row sing it too, but we are in the minority.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But you dont DO it, you race through it at 200mph

Unfortunately, no matter how many times it gets mentioned, SBTS still gets sung at manic speeds.

If they can't get OUR SONG sung properly they'll never get the crowd joining in with their new effort. I'm not saying don't try it but get SBTS right first. Please. Then add your new stuff.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I hear you fella, and you are 100% right in my eyes, but it seems that people just don't join in with GOSBTS as much as we used to. I sing it, and a few people along our row sing it too, but we are in the minority.

That's because it gets sung way too fast.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

But new songs and SBTS are not mutually exclusive. We can start this song and sing SBTS in it's entirety. One group of people that sing SBTS properly? That will be NSK then, who also gave song sheets for it at the first game this season and twice last year. There is room for continental style songs, traditional english ones, just singing a pop tune because you like it, anything really.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've no read this thread but taking songs from foreign ultras IS a shit idea, no matter how you dress it up. There is no tradition in this country for it.

Get the songs EVERYONE knows sung properly. Get someone to lead the chants and keep them at the right speed.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
But new songs and SBTS are not mutually exclusive. We can start this song and sing SBTS in it's entirety. One group of people that sing SBTS properly? That will be NSK then, who also gave song sheets for it at the first game this season and twice last year. There is room for continental style songs, traditional english ones, just singing a pop tune because you like it, anything really.

I agree to a large extent, of course I am up for singing new songs, but i would love to hear SBTS sung slowly first. That is our anthem, this is what we should be known for.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've no read this thread but taking songs from foreign ultras IS a shit idea, no matter how you dress it up. There is no tradition in this country for it.

Get the songs EVERYONE knows sung properly. Get someone to lead the chants and keep them at the right speed.

Agree but this one isn't really a foreign ultras type song. It's a chant really, it sounds very English.
Also the droaning Albiooooonn song is taken from Liverpool, that took it from Italian ultras.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Unfortunately, no matter how many times it gets mentioned, SBTS still gets sung at manic speeds.

If they can't get OUR SONG sung properly they'll never get the crowd joining in with their new effort. I'm not saying don't try it but get SBTS right first. Please. Then add your new stuff.

it will only ever be sung right if it didnt involve everyone clapping.

For some reason when people clap to a chant it makes them want to sing at hyperspeed and be drowned out by the sound of their own manic clapping

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's because they are easy to join in with (usually a popular song of the time). How many football songs these days are based on current popular songs? Probably none-and for good reason.

Why not find a song that's easy to modify, easy to join in with without the need for a lyric sheet and has the potential to be loud (and intimidating preferably). Also needs to be difficult to speed up to 4 times original speed.

I'm not against adding a few songs-in fact it's desperately needed. It's a simple process: find a couple of songs that people like and are easy to sing along to. Start off with a few people and if it's any good it will catch on organically. If it needs a song sheet-it is unlikely to catch on. To expect fans to learn a new tune plus a new song will be difficult.

A couple of examples from LFC (I know, I know, but like them or loathe them, they are damned good). They're also quite happy using older songs to base theirs on-there's thousands of them to choose from too.

[yt]R_BGkFYHG5Y[/yt]

[yt]elVt-NszDtI[/yt]

[yt]5YDSUl-5XjM[/yt]

Absolutely. But why isn't this happening then? There have been loads of song ideas on here, most that would work well enough, but it never happens.

Fileds of Athenry is a fantastic song, no reason why we couldn't adapt that, as long as we did it about a player rather than as a general Albion song.

Liverpool seem to be able to constantly bring out a string of new songs, is that because Liverpool fans aren't as bothered about how 'cringeworthy' they might look in front of each other like loads of ours our? I think it is. They go to football to have a laugh and a sing song, not to have some kind of coolness competition.

I hate Brighton sometimes.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Absolutely. But why isn't this happening then? There have been loads of song ideas on here, most that would work well enough, but it never happens.

Fileds of Athenry is a fantastic song, no reason why we couldn't adapt that, as long as we did it about a player rather than as a general Albion song.

Liverpool seem to be able to constantly bring out a string of new songs, is that because Liverpool fans aren't as bothered about how 'cringeworthy' they might look in front of each other like loads of ours our? I think it is. They go to football to have a laugh and a sing song, not to have some kind of coolness competition.

This x1000

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Field of Athenry works for Liverpool coz they have a large Irish following, it means something to them.

By the way, you are on fire commander!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Field of Athenry works for Liverpool coz they have a large Irish following, it means something to them.

By the way, you are on fire commander!

True. Still a fantastic song though.

I was, however my lunchtime beers have sent me into a mid-afternoon slump.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
f*** me its so simple if you don't like the song and don't wanna join in THEN DON'T JOIN IN, no need to act like spackers!

Agreed....... A Fans Fare..... a come dine with me tale in 1 act

Mrs - Hi honey can you help me put the shopping away for next weeks big communal meal.

Mr - What the F*** is this shit, sun dried tomaotes, I don't like that foreign muck.... I told you last week.

Mrs - Actually last week you said you didn't like Humous.... I asked what you wanted but all you kept saying was I don't f***king want this humous shit.

Mr - Yeah I don't its all f***king shit, I don't want it, I like my regular meat and 3 veg.

Mrs - And so do I love, nobody is saying we wont eat that as well, I like it also. But last week I asked if you wanted to add anything to the shopping list, or what you thought others may like, as there are many other guests to consider, and all you said was, I f***king don't like humous without offering anything else, so this week we didn't get the humous, but as many of the other guests said they'd really like to try sun dried tomoates with the standard meat and 3 veg you like so much, It was added to the list.

Mr - Well I don't give a s*** its all foreign muck and I'm not eating it.

Mrs - Nobody says you have to, you can eat your fave meat and 3, and so will many others as well, but would you mind if I put the sund dried tomatoes on the table so a few of the others, who said they really liked them, could try them out.

Mr - No, its all foreign shit, and nobody should be allowed to eat it.

Mrs - So you don't think others should be able to eat what they like.

Mr - No I don't and more's the point, just offer them the same as me and tell them they have to eat because it's what I like.

Mrs - Well why don't you offer to organise the meal or start a new shopping list with a menu based on other guests choices.

Mr - No, Its all foreign shit and I don't like it and I won't eat it, this meal will never work, if people don't want the same as me.

1 week later.

Waiter - sir can I take your oder what would you like.

Mr - I don't want that foreign shit and nobody else should be forced to eat

Guest 1 - Actually I quite like the........

Mr - Shut the f*** up, I don't like it, and nor must you

Waiter - OK sir, but what would you like.

Mr - Not that foreign shit, Its all muck, and I don't like it.

Waiter - Well could I make a recommendation for the other guests Sir, its a popular choice.

Mr - No, I don't want it, and nor should anyone else. We'll take Meat and 3 Veg for 10.

The End

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This was a good article in the Observer a few moons ago. I particularly liked the Arsenal fans lone attempt to start up "You're Syl...Vain, I bet you think this song is about you" only to be told to "f*** off Dennis Pennis"...

Shall we sing a song for you

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Me too. I don't know whether it's a lack of passion, camaraderie, being southern or what. But it's beginning to annoy me.

FFS BRIGHTON FANS YOU HAVE A f***ing STADIUM TO BE PROUD OF. USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE AND GET SINGING!

I think it is to do with living in a trendy city by the sea. The best points are also the worst points, if you know what I mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here