Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had a week in Carcassonne, going into the Pyrenees for a day, following this route.
Bloody nice it was too, I commend it to the house.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I've fortunately managed to miss those types, I think I'd end up assuming the character of a few on NSC, until a ban is dished out.
I wish I could say I'm surprised they exist but I'm not.

I can imagine they're up in arms with all the JCLs around. Even on the road the amount of union jacks that have appeared is notable.
As for Sky, I hope their money keeps everyone's mouths shut but it's Froome disappearing not Cav that concerns me, I can imagine all sorts of teams circling him in the autumn and promising a whole team built around him. He can time trial and has a physique designed to climb. Cav probably won't be in the rainbow jersey ( its always disappointed me when a sprinter gets it, doesn't seem right) and his runaway ego might have calmed down.

I loved Ned Boultings comment this week that British cycle fans have ALWAYS had to fight for tiny crumbs that have fallen from the top table but are now having whole loaves thrown at them daily.

Anyway, another magical day today but WHY are ITV4 not starting at 12?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I loved Ned Boultings comment this week that British cycle fans have ALWAYS had to fight for tiny crumbs that have fallen from the top table but are now having whole loaves thrown at them

It is funny, I watch Euro sport coverage and some of the French language interviews are not about how well sky and Wiggens are doing, but more about when/if they are going to be caught or fail.... it was amazing yesterday that several French riders were bemoaning the fact that the other teams wouldn't allow a French win on Bastille Day.... I did chuckle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can imagine they're up in arms with all the JCLs around. Even on the road the amount of union jacks that have appeared is notable.
I just don't get it, Cycling is a minority sport, come one come all, that's why I love this thread.
We all seem to have a great attitude towards Le Tour, and cycling in general.
We've been helping Trig with his drug education, which is hopefully helping the casual observer, who thinks Le Tour is all about drugs.

For me though any JCL probably drives a car, any realisation and understanding of road cycling can only be a positive.
Who knows they might want to get out of their car and cycle more, or better still stop using cyclists as target practice.

As for Sky, I hope their money keeps everyone's mouths shut but it's Froome disappearing not Cav that concerns me, I can imagine all sorts of teams circling him in the autumn and promising a whole team built around him. He can time trial and has a physique designed to climb.
That's why he resigned a 3 year deal, after The Vuelta.
Anyone wanting him will have to cough multi millions, just to sit at the table with Froome.
Sky have a ready made team for him, I doubt he'll go, but hey what do I know.
Cav probably won't be in the rainbow jersey ( its always disappointed me when a sprinter gets it, doesn't seem right) and his runaway ego might have calmed down.
There's nothing wrong with Cav's ego, he's a very humble chap.
He doesn't put up with any sh*te from those he perceives as fools, putting the 'fools' very much in the anti Cav camp.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Someone will go, and I can't help thinking it will be Cav.
Indeed, one team can't look after the interests of a couple of sprinters and two GC contenders.

it's Froome disappearing not Cav that concerns me, I can imagine all sorts of teams circling him in the autumn and promising a whole team built around him.
Why does it matter if Froome has another team, is it that you want Sky to win, or a Brit? If BW and Froome are both competing for the title in different teams, isn't that good for Britain?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I enjoyed David Millars win the other day, he isn't in the sky team.....

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why does it matter if Froome has another team, is it that you want Sky to win, or a Brit? If BW and Froome are both competing for the title in different teams, isn't that good for Britain?
A very good point.
Makes me wonder if I'm supporting Sky more than I though I was.

Fookin JCL :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cool. Thought I was probably making a fool of myself.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed, one team can't look after the interests of a couple of sprinters and two GC contenders.

You're right, there is absolutely no reason at all but I love the thought of a British team full of British riders. I was glued to the Telly in 1987 trying to spot ANC-Halfords jerseys, I never succeeded because the last British team were so ill equipped ,under prepared and completely out of their depth.

GO SKY and thanks Murdoch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I love the thought of a British team full of British riders.
Yes, fair point. And if (?) Sky have been at the forefront of removing drugs from the sport, all the more reason to support them.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Our 3 hero's did have the rainbow,KotM and yellow at one point didn't they? I'd like a picture of that moment, can't see it ever happening again

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
It is funny, I watch Euro sport coverage and some of the French language interviews are not about how well sky and Wiggens are doing, but more about when/if they are going to be caught or fail.... it was amazing yesterday that several French riders were bemoaning the fact that the other teams wouldn't allow a French win on Bastille Day.... I did chuckle.

I haven't got Eurosport sadly but that's all that's missing from this Tour now for me; French and global feedback. They don't sell L'Equipe in my village store.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Brixtaan, I remember how exciting and short lived that ANC team was. There were some very promising results that gave false hope about the then future of British cycling. I remember Paul Watson coming 5th in the Flèche Wallonne and Joey McLoughlin looking like he might be a decent GC rider until his knees went. Malcolm Elliott did have a good career in Spain after that but that was it. Team Sky are indeed riches beyond my wildest dreams!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Brixtaan, I remember how exciting and short lived that ANC team was. There were some very promising results that gave false hope about the then future of British cycling. I remember Paul Watson coming 5th in the Flèche Wallonne and Joey McLoughlin looking like he might be a decent GC rider until his knees went. Malcolm Elliott did have a good career in Spain after that but that was it. Team Sky are indeed riches beyond my wildest dreams!

I think there's a book out there somewhere isn't there? Such were the tales of one disaster after another. Thanks for reminding me of the other names because I could only recall Elliot. I met him on Madeira drive when the Tour came to Brighton (I think).
Such was the paucity of Brits I remember searching for Yatess name every evening for what seemed like YEARS, although someone mentioned Wegelius and Sciandri earlier, I'd forgotten about them too.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Recording todays stage, helping out wife on a stall at the RSPCA stall down at Braypool today.

More of the same I reckon defend, attack, defend, attack however so far Sky look really strong, lets hope it holds. I could see Froome losing out to Nibali today then hopefully getting time back on him in TT.

On an exciting note, now going to Saturdays Time Trial, cannot wait, any requests you would like us to shout at any riders, feel free to leave here. Jens Voight nearly stopped and berated my wife the other year when she told him to get a move on..

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
wiggo_2277262a.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
“@TourDeJose: Froome tells L'Equipe he's capable of winning this Tour but not with SKY. "But I won't lie to you. It's difficult but it's my job."”

“@TourDeJose: About next year's chances. "If there are mountains I hope SKY will be honest and have the team ride for me. And be as loyal as me."”

Hmm

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
He's not wrong though. He's more than capable of taking 5 minutes off Wiggins before the TT, then holding on to yellow into Paris. It'll be interesting if Brad cracks big-time and Nibali attacks. Will Sky get Froome to chace and save the team the race, or look after Wiggins and maybe lose everything?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here