Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can't log in to change my team. Looks like their server has died (or the trans-tasman line is busy).

It is really slow this morning here too, perseverance is needed I think.

Also here is a top tip for everybody, always check the first name of your riders, I nearly put in Gorka Izagirre this morning under the illusion that he was his brother Jon. Gorka is a sprinter who has no chance of making it up the hills in today's stage. Or just forget to confirm your transfers entirely like I did. This tour is going terribly for me so far.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bugger. Hesjedal out, that was a waste of a transfer.

Blimey !, I checked the withdrawals early this morning and he wasn't amongst them. Hope Kruijswijk wasn't amongst any late withdrawals.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bugger. Hesjedal out, that was a waste of a transfer.

Big risk that. He did finish thirteen minutes down yesterday, with a winning effort in the Giro in his legs too, I can see why he went home.

In the end I did manage to get my transfers through, it was a false alarm. I avoided those mixed up in the crash as although they will be looking to attack now I want to see who is ok before risking wasted transfers. A whole day in front of the TV for me today, it is time for this Tour to get serious, just a shame that so many contenders have been knocked out because of a crash.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All my star riders out today in favour of Wiggins, Rolland, Kruijswijk, Chavanel. Had to have half an eye on Monday.

Hard one to predict today as almost anything can happen.

I'm hoping Kruijswijk will try to test himself against the big boys on his debút Tour. He's proved he can climb in the Giro and perhaps today he'll take his chance to progress up the Young Riders comp.

Rolland no doubt relieved of his right hand man duties as TV lost so much time yesterday. Hoping he'll be giving it a go at some point.

So these are my 2 gamble predictions for a stage win today. It is a big gamble though and I fully expect to see the fantasy Yellow jersey taken off me after today.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
All my star riders out today in favour of Wiggins, Rolland, Kruijswijk, Chavanel. Had to have half an eye on Monday.

Hard one to predict today as almost anything can happen.

I'm hoping Kruijswijk will try to test himself against the big boys on his debút Tour. He's proved he can climb in the Giro and perhaps today he'll take his chance to progress up the Young Riders comp.

Rolland no doubt relieved of his right hand man duties as TV lost so much time yesterday. Hoping he'll be giving it a go at some point.

So these are my 2 gamble predictions for a stage win today. It is a big gamble though and I fully expect to see the fantasy Yellow jersey taken off me after today.

I went with Rolland today too.

Withdrawals over night: Amets Txurruka (EUS), Ryder Hesjedal (GRS), Robert Hunter (GRS), Hubert Dupont (ALM), Oscar Freire (KAT), Maarten Wynants (RAB), Imanol Erviti (MOV) and Jose Ivan Gutierrez (MOV).

Early breakaway: Gautier (EUC), Riblon (ALM), Sanchez (RAB), Sorensen (STB), Fofonov (AST), Martin Velits (OPQ) and Albasini (OGE)

No riders in there for me, strong group that, they will be hard to get back if they get much of a lead.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Agreed, very strong group. My boy took Riblon out today too :lol:

Plus, Luis Leon has had plenty of recovery time at the back of the peleton in this first week.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Four minutes clear for the breakaway now. Riblon the best placed over 5 minutes down, I will say now that they will stay clear. The break needs to succeed at some point and it is not in anyone's interest to bring them back, they will limit them to a couple of minutes though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think you're right. Suits everyone fine.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My boy also put boring Frank in today too, with the belief that he'll attack as he's nothing to lose after yesterday.

I told him I just can't see it and that both the Schlecks (I know Andy's not riding) are far more likely to just give up and whinge about the crashes than they are ever likely to just dig in and try to salvage at least a stage win. It's why no one really seems to like them much I suppose.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
My boy also put boring Frank in today too, with the belief that he'll attack as he's nothing to lose after yesterday.

I told him I just can't see it and that both the Schlecks (I know Andy's not riding) are far more likely to just give up and whinge about the crashes than they are ever likely to just dig in and try to salvage at least a stage win. It's why no one really seems to like them much I suppose.

You are correct, although your boy probably does not have to listen to SB and I rant about how much we hate the Schlecks, so has not had the benefit of that dubious knowledge. Also congratulations on your Tour so far, have not had the chance to say that yet, so good luck from here on in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to watching a whole stage live on ITV4 today. Normally have to catch the excellent highlights show when I get home from work.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stage 7

Tour de France 2012 - Stage by stage

Very steep climb at the end but only 6 km long so is only Category 1. Peleton will break up!

Of the following team leaders, who is the most likely to take the yellow jersey today?

BRADLEY WIGGINS
30.95%
DENIS MENCHOV
6.64%
CADEL EVANS
26.79%
VINCENZO NIBALI
12.49%
SOMEONE ELSE...
23.14%
5014 votes

http://odds.bestbetting.com/cycling/le-tour-de-france/winner/

I voted "Somebody Else" although I would think that Bradley Wiggins is the most likely.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I went with Rolland today too.

Withdrawals over night: Amets Txurruka (EUS), Ryder Hesjedal (GRS), Robert Hunter (GRS), Hubert Dupont (ALM), Oscar Freire (KAT), Maarten Wynants (RAB), Imanol Erviti (MOV) and Jose Ivan Gutierrez (MOV).

Early breakaway: Gautier (EUC), Riblon (ALM), Sanchez (RAB), Sorensen (STB), Fofonov (AST), Martin Velits (OPQ) and Albasini (OGE)

No riders in there for me, strong group that, they will be hard to get back if they get much of a lead.

Happy with Rolland as my 66/1 e/w tip courtesy of the estimable Stat Brother. His other two tips were Froome and Hejedal (who is now withdrawn)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TODAY and hopefully for a few days to come, that 66/1 looks very tasty.
It's a shame there's still 2 weeks left.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TODAY and hopefully for a few days to come, that 66/1 looks very tasty.
It's a shame there's still 2 weeks left.

Good point, well made. But if the peleton continues to show the same kamikaze tendencies they've shown so far, half of them will end up going over the side of an Alp. In which case it'll be down to last man standing :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
With further information on the finish I think it will be someone tiny to win today, it is seriously steep at the end. J Rod would be a definite for today if he was here, so someone like that, I'll go Jelle Vanendert as long as he isn't too injured from yesterday (I know he is not that tiny but he was close in Fleche Wallonne).

All this is presuming they bring back the break of course.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tour de France 2012

I think the steep bit at the end will mean an exciting finish, not a sprint of course, but lots of riders trying to win. Most of whom I have never heard of.

I would think Rogers and Wiggens could cycle up the last climb together, perhaps?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sagan takes the intermediate sprint for those in the bunch. A bit naughty from Matt Goss, he got all his team together to form a sprint train from a couple of km's out, when Impey started the final lead out he let his wheel go and then didn't even attempt a sprint. Sean Kelly: "Goss is cooked", unintentional probably, but still funny.

Or he just had a mechanical, as it appears on the second watch.

Sorensen picks up 2 points, Sanchez 1, over the top of the first Cat 3. Does not look like any of these are going for the Polka Dots. Tomorrow's stage is the big one for that competition though I think.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here