Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The triple header that produced goals today.

First up Montpellier Villa took on Mile Oak at Culver Road, always have a soft spot for the Oak as they are my nearest SCFL side, and it was an absolute cracker. Villa stormed into a 3-0 lead with the wind behind them, Mile Oak then with the wind behind managed to barge their way back to make it 3-3 before the substitute number 14, curled one in the top corner from about 30 yard to complete the turnaround. Best SCFL game I’ve seen this season.

Next up was Bognor v Worthing, a real highlight of the season as well, a very rowdy away supporters section cheered Worthing onto victory in a feisty encounter with 2200 there to witness. Like has been said on this thread it’s a golden age for non league, especially in Sussex at this moment, and long may it continue.

Game 3 was a bit of a let down in contrast but still a decent encounter, a 1-1 at Steyning v East Preston, two early goals settled the tie and that was that. East Preston looked to have an average age of about 17 with Steyning not much better. 87 games done now this season, so should hit 100 at Leicester Away.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Fantastic attendance.

Macclesfield in effectively tier 8 have a 4500 sellout for their next game. You get bet the atmosphere will be better than most prem games with ten times that number. Remember watching County v Bolton in the cup recently and the atmosphere coming out the tele was superb never mind being there. Modern ‘elite’ football could learn a thing or two from the non league.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Also at Steyning. Two teams conceding an average of more than three a game always promised a dour nil nil. There was a lack of quality in the final third. The East Preston keeper probably should have done better with the free kick for the Steyning goal. EP scored from a penalty. There were chances at either end, the best falling right at the death to Steyning.

Ah well. Take a point. It was free admission and a crowd of 207 which was bigger than a typical evening holiday game attendance.

Up The Barrowmen.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Macclesfield in effectively tier 8 have a 4500 sellout for their next game. You get bet the atmosphere will be better than most prem games with ten times that number. Remember watching County v Bolton in the cup recently and the atmosphere coming out the tele was superb never mind being there. Modern ‘elite’ football could learn a thing or two from the non league.

I wonder how many Robbie Savage has added to the attendance since he has taken over as manager at Macclesfield? An awful lot would be my guestimate.

But yes exciting times for the the non league game at the moment. Are these the first signs of the Premier League starting to implode l wonder?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

A few ghosts of Brighton's past in that Macclesfield team, Sam Ashton, the PE teacher, who saved the penalty in the last minute for FC United at the Withdean is their goalkeepr, with Neil Danns, Alex Bruce and Curtis Obeng all playing against the albion at least once.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I watched Whitehawk v Hastings. Standard I thought was terrible. This was my third non league game and Worthing look far and away best side. Will try and get and get to Eastbourne Borough

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I wonder how many Robbie Savage has added to the attendance since he has taken over as manager at Macclesfield? An awful lot would be my guestimate.

But yes exciting times for the the non league game at the moment. Are these the first signs of the Premier League starting to implode l wonder?

I don’t think so, the yoooof don’t lament the past because they know no better. It’s just us ‘legacy’ fans that miss the many positive things from the past that PL has killed off (like the 3pm KO). Moreover are prepared to call time on PL football because of the abundance of straws it inadvertently provides.

But as you say, PL loss is NL’s gain. I’ve been a few times to my local tier 5 outfit, and also have a lovely family link (my wonderful but now late uncle in law was their top striker back in the day and is pictured on the wall in the club bar - so I get to raise a glass to his memory every time I go…and can take it onto the Terrace too!)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I watch loads of non league as a mate is assistant manager. Currently top of national league north. We are tiny compared to some of the sides in our league. Over 2k watched our match at Boston yesterday. We are part time when many in the league are full time and we get 5-600 for home matches compared to some much bigger. Hereford, York, Boston, kiddie, Chester etc. until recently Stockport and Salford were giants in this league. It is tough to compete at that level as a part time side but it is great fun. We have the tightest defence in the top 6 tiers. Only 11 conceded in 18 matches and three of those were against Darlington when we had ten men for 80 mins.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don’t think so, the yoooof don’t lament the past because they know no better. It’s just us ‘legacy’ fans that miss the many positive things from the past that PL has killed off (like the 3pm KO). Moreover are prepared to call time on PL football because of the abundance of straws it inadvertently provides.

But as you say, PL loss is NL’s gain. I’ve been a few times to my local tier 5 outfit, and also have a lovely family link (my wonderful but now late uncle in law was their top striker back in the day and is pictured on the wall in the club bar - so I get to raise a glass to his memory every time I go…and can take it onto the Terrace too!)

Oh yes, being able to drink your pint within sight of the pitch, so much to be said for that!

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Tuesday 28 th December a trip to Darlington 1 Gateshead 3 att 2049 . Don't like the new ground bad views in a big crowd . One covered end of 8 step terracing . Seats on both sides and an open end . Arrived in Darlo at 9.30 so plenty of time for a pub crawl ,sadly all 4 micropubs were closed . A bit of an ale desert apart from The hole in the wall ,that had TT porter on . £14 entrance and pie peas chips and gravy £5

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tuesday 28 th December a trip to Darlington 1 Gateshead 3 att 2049 . Don't like the new ground bad views in a big crowd . One covered end of 8 step terracing . Seats on both sides and an open end . Arrived in Darlo at 9.30 so plenty of time for a pub crawl ,sadly all 4 micropubs were closed . A bit of an ale desert apart from The hole in the wall ,that had TT porter on . £14 entrance and pie peas chips and gravy £5

Pie, peas, chips, and gravy . . . now very northern.

Hope you enjoyed the game, can remember my trips up to Darlo to watch the Albion. Long time ago now, and a different ground of course.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If anyone in West Sussex is looking for a live game tonight (Thursday) they can watch the Isthmian League clash between Chichester City and Burgess Hill Town.
Chichester are currently in 7th place and Burgess Hill are 10th. It promises to be a decent game.

[tweet]1476478163626512385[/tweet]

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If anyone in West Sussex is looking for a live game tonight (Thursday) they can watch the Isthmian League clash between Chichester City and Burgess Hill Town.
Chichester are currently in 7th place and Burgess Hill are 10th. It promises to be a decent game.

[tweet]1476478163626512385[/tweet]

I will be heading along for my 91st and Final game of 2021, hopefully a better game than the senior cup tie v Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here