Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Decent home win for the Hillians tonight in my first visit to the Estadio More Than Tyres. Few clear cut chances but I reckon BH deserved the points on balance.

I will also say that it was the fastest catering I have ever in my life encountered at a football match anywhere and for this I commend the catering staff.

No bovril/pepper update as I was busy quaffing Atlantic instead.

Very pretty ground as well.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Entertaining evening at Middle Road tonight in the Peter Bentley Cup.

Finished Shoreham 1 Broadbridge Heath 1 after 90 minutes. Heath taking the lead with a near post finish and Shoreham making it 1.1 with a fine strike. Both goals in the first half.

The second 45 minutes were mostly dominated by Heath but some good keeping and last ditch defending kept the visitors at bay. Shoreham had a couple of opportunities on the break but neither side could find a winner.

Game went straight to penalties. Both sides took 7 each with Shoreham running out 4.3 winners. The Shoreham keeper made 3 fine saves and the last penalty taker of the evening, the Heath right back,slipped as he struck the ball and his effort hit the post.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Steyning 2 Arundel 1

Could have gone either way, but the Barrowmen created a very good winner late on smartly taken by Mayckol Sabino- magic to those that know him. Entertaining, but the win was needed.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Entertaining evening at Middle Road tonight in the Peter Bentley Cup.

Finished Shoreham 1 Broadbridge Heath 1 after 90 minutes. Heath taking the lead with a near post finish and Shoreham making it 1.1 with a fine strike. Both goals in the first half.

The second 45 minutes were mostly dominated by Heath but some good keeping and last ditch defending kept the visitors at bay. Shoreham had a couple of opportunities on the break but neither side could find a winner.

Game went straight to penalties. Both sides took 7 each with Shoreham running out 4.3 winners. The Shoreham keeper made 3 fine saves and the last penalty taker of the evening, the Heath right back,slipped as he struck the ball and his effort hit the post.

Also went, very last minute decision. Glad I did enjoyed it.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Didn't bother with Seaford in the end, as the train times weren't great from Portslade, headed up to Burgess Hill town instead to witness a 1-0 win against Faversham, featuring Burgess Hill town with the mouthiest goalkeeper on the planet (not a bad thing). Looked a decent side at times especially the number four and goal scorer in midfield Lewis Taylor. Haydon Roberts was also in attendance behind me. Have decided to meet a friend who supports Oxford City and get Dartford's ground ticked off for ground number 143 on saturday, after England v Albania on Friday night.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Didn't bother with Seaford in the end, as the train times weren't great from Portslade, headed up to Burgess Hill town instead to witness a 1-0 win against Faversham, featuring Burgess Hill town with the mouthiest goalkeeper on the planet (not a bad thing). Looked a decent side at times especially the number four and goal scorer in midfield Lewis Taylor. Haydon Roberts was also in attendance behind me. Have decided to meet a friend who supports Oxford City and get Dartford's ground ticked off for ground number 143 on saturday, after England v Albania on Friday night.

Lewis Taylor, the very same player whose penalty earned Horsham a replay at Swansea City in the FA Cup 2nd Round Proper in 2007.

Fifteen years and nine clubs later, he finds himself at Burgess Hill!

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Indeed, played at our late adopted home, the Withdean Stadium. Looking rather different now, with only one man and his dog present, and just the original North Stand remaining.

Why with a good playing surface and potential decent crowd ideal for a good non league club. Assume Albion have considered this for womens team

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Nipped up the road for Littlehampton v Bexhill in the PB Cup - a high quality game between 1st & 4th in the league. Bexhill played some really nice stuff in the middle of the park, were a constant threat on the break and dangerous from corners against a nervous looking defence/keeper. Littlehampton had the majority of possession but were wasteful in front of goal, a mixture of poor finishing and wayward final ball. It was 2-2 at half time, and with no further goals we went straight into a penalty shoot out. I wasn't very confident because the Bexhill keeper had at least a foot on his home counterpart, and when Joe Benn (who had a poor night all round, actually) missed his kick it looked like curtains for the Golds. But the aforementioned home keeper (Genty Poda, on loan from Worthing) made a couple of great saves and Littlehampton ran out 4-3 winners to set up a quarter final at Mile Oak - who Joe Benn's brother plays for, apparently.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Why with a good playing surface and potential decent crowd ideal for a good non league club. Assume Albion have considered this for womens team

Apparently there are WSL requirements for capacity and facilities at grounds used by the teams that can't be met locally which is why Women's team play at Crawley. Though I thought maybe Worthing's ground might meet the requirements.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apparently there are WSL requirements for capacity and facilities at grounds used by the teams that can't be met locally which is why Women's team play at Crawley. Though I thought maybe Worthing's ground might meet the requirements.

Surely capacity bigger at Withdean

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surely capacity bigger at Withdean

The remaining facilities aren't anything like they were in Albion's tenure there, just the one original smallish stand running along the touchline behind the Sportsman pub.

The big main South Stand was removed when we left, and the stand erected behind the goal to house the away supporters has been demolished. It's very spartan indeed now.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The remaining facilities aren't anything like they were in Albion's tenure there, just the one original smallish stand running along the touchline behind the Sportsman pub.

The big main South Stand was removed when we left, and the stand erected behind the goal to house the away supporters has been demolished. It's very spartan indeed now.

Didn't some of those stands/seats end up at Whitehawk's Enclosed Ground?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

think the 4G pitch is the barrier to Worthing's ground being used in the WSL

it would be much more appropriate than Crawley in terms of getting crowds in

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Nipped up the road for Littlehampton v Bexhill in the PB Cup - a high quality game between 1st & 4th in the league. Bexhill played some really nice stuff in the middle of the park, were a constant threat on the break and dangerous from corners against a nervous looking defence/keeper. Littlehampton had the majority of possession but were wasteful in front of goal, a mixture of poor finishing and wayward final ball. It was 2-2 at half time, and with no further goals we went straight into a penalty shoot out. I wasn't very confident because the Bexhill keeper had at least a foot on his home counterpart, and when Joe Benn (who had a poor night all round, actually) missed his kick it looked like curtains for the Golds. But the aforementioned home keeper (Genty Poda, on loan from Worthing) made a couple of great saves and Littlehampton ran out 4-3 winners to set up a quarter final at Mile Oak - who Joe Benn's brother plays for, apparently.

Sounds like a good match. I'm going to have to make a pilgrimage to see this Joe Benn play, the amount he's mentioned on this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here