Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The New Road Layout Explained

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
(well maybe)

I've been as confused as the next man by the new road layout that seems to have taken as long as the stadium to build. Great pics from Jack but no idea where they are or what they are showing.

Went and had a look at the planning app drawings (via http://www.brighton-and-hove.co.uk) (link towards the bottom - it's called "Master Plan - Proposed") and it has become a lot more clear. You can see the road in great detail on the drawings.

I've copied a couple of parts of the road layout plan below.

The bottom image shows the new road layout in relation to the stadium. The new layout is shown bottom left of the image. It's just to the South of the bypass and next to Southern Water. At the bottom of the image you can see the field that will be used for match day parking. This road scheme appears to be all about getting people in and out of this parking area.

The top image image is more close-up. Coming almost diagonally across the image from top right to bottom left is the A270.

Coming from Lewes, the new road junction will allow drivers to fork left as if heading in to Brighton and then bear left down to a junction where they turn left past the southern end of Southern Water and then across the railway bridge to the parking. To go back to Lewes after a game this traffic leaves the car park, over the railway and carries on under the A270 (main road into Brighton) then loops round and joins the main road heading to Lewes.

The big square arch/bridge that Jack has been photographing is this bit of road where drivers will go under the main road and then loop back north to join the A27.

Coming from Brighton on the A270, it look like you will stop at a new junction by the new arch then turn right under the new arch (and under the Southbound A270) and then past the southern end of Southern Water and over the railway bridge. To go back to Brighton you'll come out of the car park, over the railway bridge, past the bottom end of Southern Water and then turn left onto a slip road that will merge with the A270 into Brighton.

Hope that's a bit more clear. References to the railway bridge are a guess - it's hard to see on the plan - road may in fact go under the railway to get access to the playing fields/match day parking, but you get the point.

Attachments

• road1.JPG
    road1.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 760
  • road2.JPG
    road2.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 761

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
its a long walk from the parking to the ground!!!!

How are they going to get all the cars under the tiny bridge to Falmer school? Are we all going to have to drive though Moulscoombe?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Might cause more confusion? Might hep.

Red - from Lewes
Orange - back to Lewes
Green - from Brighton
Blue - back to Brighton

And looks from the aerial photo like the road to the matchday parking goes under the railway, not over (I don't know Falmer School area too well - apols)

Attachments

• road3.JPG
    road3.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 729
  • road4.JPG
    road4.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 717
Last edited by a moderator:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
where is the railway line in that?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh DAVE you are such a TEASE!!

I would LOVE the visiting fans to park in Moulescoomb, it wont be there when they get back!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That cant be right...the railway bridge to Falmer school is only as wide as a small mini metro, there is no way you will get 20,000 cars through there

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Well, this is all guess work from me based on looking at the detail of the road layout planning application. I could have got this totally wrong - but am just trying to work out (a) where the roadwoarks are and (b) what they are for.

Perhaps the new layout is purely for traffic leaving the matchday parking to filter it back on to the A270 (south) and the A27 (north)?

Very happy to be corrected.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
That cant be right...the railway bridge to Falmer school is only as wide as a small mini metro, there is no way you will get 20,000 cars through there

The car park is just for Metros if you have a bigger car park elsewhere :lolol:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

There's only space for 2,000 cars though isnt there? 1000 at Sussex Uni and 1000 at Brighton Uni side?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There's only space for 2,000 cars though isnt there? 1000 at Sussex Uni and 1000 at Brighton Uni side?

But that shows a match day car park at falmer School

anyway I'm going to be dropped off at Triggers house!!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And this is why you take the train :thumbsup:

which is totally useless if you live in Mile Oak

We are a 20 minute bus ride to Boundary Road, 5 minute walk to teh station, wait for a train into Brighton, get to brighton, wait for a train to Falmer.......train to Brighton, train to Portslade, walk to teh bus stop, wait for infrequent service, 20 minutes to home. Last time I did this for Withdean it took me an hour and 20 to get to withdean and two hours to get home.

In my car, I can leave at twenty to 3 and be dropped off in time for kick off and get picked up at 5 and be back home at 20 past........

Public transport is not an option!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
May be right. Perhaps they stop after passing under the new flyover bridge and just turn right back towards the A27? But you get the drift.

I THINK, using your colours (not FIFA's), this is the road access and egress from car parking at Falmer School.

Red - from Lewes
Orange - back to Lewes
Green - from Brighton
Blue - back to Brighton

Pale blue - railway line

Roads.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here