The Natural History Museum, meh!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's an institution.
I know this is bordering sacrilegious.
I know this is definitely churlish.
I know it's free, making complaining 100 times worse.

But it's pretty tired and dated now.
I know it's dated because I hadn't been there for over 30 years and it just hasn't changed, developed, or upgraded.

The interactive stuff, just isn't.
The exhibits were covered in dust, looked moth eaten and mangy, and that's just the dinosaurs!

All in all I was somewhat disappointed, which I'm really quite gutted by.

(The kids enjoyed themselves)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went a couple of months back and IT SUCKED!! The Booth museum is far better!
Cheers for that SP, I thought I'd be in for a bashing similar to the Rum & RASION kicking :lol:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
No future in that history lark!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers for that SP, I thought I'd be in for a bashing similar to the Rum & RASION kicking :lol:

Haha no worries! I was dissapointed but happy I didn't have to pay any entry fee. I also felt the same about the Science museum around the corner, that was a bit crap as well.
Next time I'll be going back to The London Dungeons (last visited 12 years ago) I remember it to be damn good!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I'd man upped and taken my young'uns on the full tour of Damien Hirst @ The Tate Modern.
At least it's got realism there.

They were silent looking at the Diamond Skull.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I liked it. Its a natural history museum. It does what it says, shows you our natural history. Dont know why we always need loads of gadgets etc. If thats what you are after, go to an arcade. My 4 year old was rather terrified in the dinosaurs actually, any more technical stuff and she would have passed out!

And as you have said, its free. If there was loads of tech stuff, that means more costs and possibly the end of free entrance.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I wish I'd man upped and taken my young'uns on the full tour of Damien Hirst @ The Tate Modern.
At least it's got realism there.

They were silent looking at the Diamond Skull.

Full of kids when I was in there - loads for them to enjoy. Butterflies, Sharks, Millions of dead flies, Pills, Humungous Ashtrays, Colours, Windows - perfect.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Haven't been for years. I always remember being a disappointed youngster when I found out that the T-Rex and other dinosaur skeletons weren't the actual skeletons, but just copies.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I know it's an institution.
I know this is bordering sacrilegious.
I know this is definitely churlish.
I know it's free, making complaining 100 times worse.

But it's pretty tired and dated now.
I know it's dated because I hadn't been there for over 30 years and it just hasn't changed, developed, or upgraded.

The interactive stuff, just isn't.
The exhibits were covered in dust, looked moth eaten and mangy, and that's just the dinosaurs!

All in all I was somewhat disappointed, which I'm really quite gutted by.

(The kids enjoyed themselves)

Have to say I took the kids there just before Christmas and it did seem a bit tired and in need of a bit of a spruce up.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like the dinosaur. And the massive blue whale. Although it was in need of a bit of work, last time I went.

The London Dungeon, for whoever mentioned it, costs £24 on the door to get in. Madame Tussaud's, last time I looked, was £28 :ohmy: I'd LOVE to see the looks on the faces of the foreign tourists when they do their calculations and realise just how much that is in dollars/Euros/yen, to see a bunch of crappy waxworks.

Frankly, the free entry to the National History Museum, Imperial War Museum, Science Museum, British Museum and the V&A knocks SPOTS off the likes of Tussauds when it comes to value for money.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Next time you go there look beyond the exhibits, notice the architecture and the tiles on the walls and columns, quite stunning, and don't forget it's free (or was last time I was there)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Next time you go there look beyond the exhibits, notice the architecture and the tiles on the walls and columns, quite stunning, and don't forget it's free (or was last time I was there)

That too. The NHM is an absolutely stunning building to look at.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was which kind of iced the cake for me.
A truly stunning building.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I went to the Natural History Museum on Saturday, and it hasn't changed a bit. Got to love the Earthquake simulator with TV screens in the trollies!

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I like the dinosaur. And the massive blue whale. Although it was in need of a bit of work, last time I went.

The London Dungeon, for whoever mentioned it, costs £24 on the door to get in. Madame Tussaud's, last time I looked, was £28 :ohmy: I'd LOVE to see the looks on the faces of the foreign tourists when they do their calculations and realise just how much that is in dollars/Euros/yen, to see a bunch of crappy waxworks.

Frankly, the free entry to the National History Museum, Imperial War Museum, Science Museum, British Museum and the V&A knocks SPOTS off the likes of Tussauds when it comes to value for money.

Agree about Madame Tussards - Last time in London the wife wanted to go - I took one look at the queue then the price and refused to go in to see some crappy waxworks - She sulked for about an hour, but no way was i paying that much money especially to queue for an hour for the privilege.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Talking of queues, today, post Jubilee, must have been the day to go.

We walked straight into 'Diamond skull' and NHM.
Seats on the tube, train there and back.

£15 spend, happy days.
The Stat Yokel's could get used to life up in the smoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here