Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Natural History Museum, meh!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Free entry to the museums is one thing that I genuinely love about London. Stuff like the NHM, British Museum etc....SHOULD be available to all, long may it remain so.

One of the main things I remember about London museums in the mid 1990s was that they were *all* expensive - I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago to see that the majority of them are now free. I'd be fairly certain its increased visitor numbers far more than anything else could have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not forgetting the New Years Day parade.
That's where the stat's are heading.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Science museum is excellent. Loads of interactive stuff and you have WWI bi planes hanging from the ceiling and a replica of the apollo 11 capsule etc etc

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Science museum is excellent. Loads of interactive stuff and you have WWI bi planes hanging from the ceiling and a replica of the apollo 11 capsule etc etc

Timings and energy levels permitting we will try and do both.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The NHM is a bit dated and a bit crowded however, it is free at the moment. I could quite imagine a Tory idea to lease off the building and its exhibits to private enterprise. I can hear Cameron now at the dispatch box...

" By leasing off this once great institution to the care and initiative of a dynamic new enterprise, we will cut the running cost to the public and drive forward the vital upgrades needed to showcase the great wealth of the Uk's scientific heritage and once again put this great nation of ours at the forefront of the world......... "

"Oh, and I'm afraid it will now cost about £20 each to visit but this charge is vital to stimulate growth and recovery, remember, we are all in this together ! "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh the joy of the ignore button !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The NHM is a bit dated and a bit crowded however, it is free at the moment. I could quite imagine a Tory idea to lease off the building and its exhibits to private enterprise.

you mean have pay for and sponsored exhibitions like most already do? thats how they are "free" in the first place.

Agree about Madame Tussards - Last time in London the wife wanted to go - I took one look at the queue then the price and refused to go in to see some crappy waxworks - She sulked for about an hour, but no way was i paying that much money especially to queue for an hour for the privilege.

Best thing to do with Tussauds is get tickets through Tesco vouchers scheme. Cost £15 for me & the gf as opposed to the usual £28 each. Make sure you have tickets printed off beforehand as can then use the quicker queue. As long as it can look to get in (we went at peak time during October half term and it was crazily long) it moves fairly quick, got inside after about 45 minutes. Sort of place you'd go to then not go back for 20 years or so!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Museums won't be free for much longer. Tories have plans in the pipeline to make money from them, thus dumbing down th enation further and creating his country of morons.

cyrilthesinik

Oct 15, 2011
Model boats in science museum are great and the planes on the top floor, so is the slice or tree in Natural History Museum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just looking at it with adult eyes? When you were a kid bet you thought it was amazeballs?
That's my point.
I was there as a kid, some 30 years ago, and it was pretty special. I know it was special because I remembered it!.

But going back 30 odd years later, it was exactly the same, and it certainly didn't hold the kids attention...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Next time you go there look beyond the exhibits, notice the architecture and the tiles on the walls and columns, quite stunning, and don't forget it's free (or was last time I was there)

Exactly this. Stunning building.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...The Science Museum is fan-bloody-tastic.

We made a half hearted attempt to watch the New Years Day parade, which must have been better than the bit we saw, and certainly more mobile.
Move for 30 secs stand still for 5 mins, pretty poor, but not a fair assessment.

Any ho we ended up only have about 4 hours in The Science Museum and it was nowhere near enough.
Esp when you add in 40 mins IMAX and 20 mins in the gift shop, (Stat Club Juniors aren't aware most attractions have a gift shop, but I was the one struggling to leave)

The whole experience was excellent and everything The Natural History museum isn't.
The kids loved it, plenty to see, do, play it, interact with.

All the stuff mentioned already is great, planes, cars, space.
The lay out was great, I could go on, but I won't.

Suffice to say, if you've never been before you're missing out, it's now The Stat's Top Attraction, we will be going back, and next time I may well pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here