Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Natural History Museum, meh!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I went there last year. I quite liked it, but then, I spent more time watching the girl I was with than the actual exhibits.

She then asked if I wanted to go look at art. Inside I died, but outside I was all over it.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I went there last year. I quite liked it, but then, I spent more time watching the girl I was with than the actual exhibits.

She then asked if I wanted to go look at art. Inside I died, but outside I was all over it.

Was it worth the effort, if you know what i mean :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree about Madame Tussards - Last time in London the wife wanted to go - I took one look at the queue then the price and refused to go in to see some crappy waxworks - She sulked for about an hour, but no way was i paying that much money especially to queue for an hour for the privilege.

It costs £15 for Tussaud's in Blackpool, I noted when we played there last season. Fifteen quid to see spectacularly shit wax versions of Steven Gerrard, Gok Wan, Ben Fogle, Jeremy Kyle (I kid you not) and Ken & Deirdre Barlow from Coronation Street :nono:

I didn't go in, by the way.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I tell a lie. Tussauds London costs £30 these days. Unbelievable.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Frankly, the free entry to the National History Museum, Imperial War Museum, Science Museum, British Museum and the V&A knocks SPOTS off the likes of Tussauds when it comes to value for money.

IWM is QUALITY. I only went for the first time recently (well few years ago) and can't believe I hadn't been before. Got 2 "interactive" things in the blitz experience and trench recreation, and the holocaust exhibit is totally breathtaking. Think the only problem with it is that you have to be over 14 I think to go in the holocaust bit, and I spose some kids might not know the actual background to the other topics that well.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I tell a lie. Tussauds London costs £30 these days. Unbelievable.

You can always get 2 for 1 vouchers bit like sealife centres (i'm sure they are owned by the same company that owns Alton Towers, another rip off) but even thenit's a hell of a lot of money for a family of 4.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The last time I paid for an exhibition in London (other than a voluntary donation) was the Planetarium. Absolute bollocks.

I do really want to go back to the London Dungeon, as I haven't been for two decades, but not at the prices they offer.

I can't believe someone would be willing to part with £30 to see imitations of all sorts of famous and not so famous people. You can see that for free in the National Gallery or Portrait Gallery, as long as you don't mind the fact it hasn't been updated for a century or two.

Favourite attraction is the Imperial Wart Museum, closely followed by the National Gallery.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Should try the Science Museum just down the road. Went there last summer with the family and I really enjoyed it. Loads of up-to-date, interactive exhibits on all sorts of topics.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm pretty surprised by this thread.
As I said to Stoneham, I thought I was going to get a good kicking about doing down such an institution.

I guess NHM is potentially a little tired, that's a bit embarrassing.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I love the NHM, maybe its a nostalgia thing but I like the fact that its basically the same as I remember it from childhood and probably always will be.

Free entry to the museums is one thing that I genuinely love about London. Stuff like the NHM, British Museum etc....SHOULD be available to all, long may it remain so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok now that Ipswich is off the table, me and the Stat's are off to London again, on Tuesday.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I love the NHM, maybe its a nostalgia thing but I like the fact that its basically the same as I remember it from childhood and probably always will be.

I guess NHM is potentially a little tired, that's a bit embarrassing.

Whoops, I thought you were both referring to an ex-NSC member here.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I went a couple of months back and IT SUCKED!! The Booth museum is far better!

The Booth museum is far better :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
We had the misfortune to stumble into it a couple of years ago and it's like some hoarders collected a load of stuffed animals and called it a museum.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The Booth museum is far better :)

Haha, it seemed decent when I was younger. I went in a few years ago and it had definitely lost it's small amount of 'magic'.
I suppose once I'd been to Darwin and Sydney zoos, I haven't found another that can top either of them. Brisbane, Aus looks very good however. Still got nothing on the Booth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here