Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Muslim Tommies

sorry mate but that is meaningless nonsense. History is fact. Interpretations or accounts can be selective or objective, that's all.

Peoples responses to posts depend on their interpretation of peoples political/religious/general viewpoint, more like.

You aren't serious, are you? :dunce:

History is written by the winners. Of course it's biased.

edit: as a quick example, on this day 70 years ago Britain declared a state of war between ourselves and Germany, because Germany invaded Poland. If the Nazis had successfully taken Europe, we would not be talking about the invasion of Poland, but most likely the liberation of Poland from the opressors.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
history is what happened. You are confusing historical accounts with history.

I had some toast this morning. That happened. If I wrote down that I had some f***ing brilliant toast, that would be what you are referring to.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

edit: as a quick example, on this day 70 years ago Britain declared a state of war between ourselves and Germany, because Germany invaded Poland. If the Nazis had successfully taken Europe, we would not be talking about the invasion of Poland, but most likely the liberation of Poland from the opressors.

Quite so. However it's rather hard to find any reference to World War Two in Japanese school books. Naturally there's NO mention of their repeated and dreadful atrocities.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

I had some toast this morning. That happened. If I wrote down that I had some f***ing brilliant toast, that would be what you are referring to.

Semantics innit; History to me (and most Historians I've spoken to about it) is accounts of past events. What actually happened is simply the past.

I remember a Czech student on my university course astonishing everyone when she threw into a conversation a sentence beginning with the words "When the Russians won the war in 1945 ... "

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Semantics innit; History to me (and most Historians I've spoken to about it) is accounts of past events. What actually happened is simplt the past.

to which historians that you spoke to is it not then? what do they say?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

If the Nazis had won the war we'd have decent roads and railways, full employment, massive Lager glasses and brass bands all over the shop.

There would be no immigration problem, the media would be free of Esther Rantzen, Vanessa Feltz, Michael Grade and Michael Winner.Chelsea and Arsenals teams would not be made up of African Internationals and we would have young maidens exercising in their pants in public parks every morning. Youths would not be hanging around street corners drinking white lightning and shouting but instead would be on 6 month orienteering courses in eastern europe! what larks they would have!

That and all the sausage you can eat and leather shorts for all!, no bum bandits and communal singing in the pub! or "Kellar" as it would be called.

OK so there would be the odd neighbour missing every now and again and some pretty crappy cinema but hey! whats not to like?

Isn't that right Bushy,Spanish,Das?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thats a shock,i mean its not as if the BBC have form for promoting right on views or causes, anyway they have ensured i feel so much happier now , because some indian muslims fought on our side in a war that started 95 years ago it stands to reason that the majority of their co-religionists and their descendants that emigrated here will absolutely adapt to our way of life and integrate successfully, why you could almost imagine that muslim ghettos in bradford , london and countless other towns and cities dont exist, 9/11 and 7/7 never happened , troops returning home from afghanistan have never been abused , i could go on, well done the BBC for getting rid of my totally unfounded ideas that muslim immigration to this country is a total disaster that we will pay for dearly eventually.

You sad and bitter f***.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
to which historians that you spoke to is it not then? what do they say?

To be honest the only one I can think of who didn't have that interpretation was a colleague of my sister-in-law (she's Director of History at her school) who's interpretation I couldn't make any sense of. Nice bloke though.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If the Nazis had won the war we'd have decent roads and railways, full employment, massive Lager glasses and brass bands all over the shop.

There would be no immigration problem, the media would be free of Esther Rantzen, Vanessa Feltz, Michael Grade and Michael Winner.Chelsea and Arsenals teams would not be made up of African Internationals and we would have young maidens exercising in their pants in public parks every morning. Youths would not be hanging around street corners drinking white lightning and shouting but instead would be on 6 month orienteering courses in eastern europe! what larks they would have!

That and all the sausage you can eat and leather shorts for all!, no bum bandits and communal singing in the pub! or "Kellar" as it would be called.

OK so there would be the odd neighbour missing every now and again and some pretty crappy cinema but hey! whats not to like?

Are you saying I support the murder of Jews?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From wikipedia:

'During the First World War the Pavilion was used as a hospital for wounded Indian and West Indian servicemen. Dead Sikh and Hindu Indian soldiers were cremated on the Downs to the north of Brighton, where a Pavilion-style memorial known as The Chattri was constructed in their memory'

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

What if you had an eggy soldier this morning and told us you had had toast?

We would only know a your historicial account, rather than the true history. All that is taught in skool is skewed one way or the other. In the UK we have a relatively unbiased approach to teaching and discussing the subject, compared to many other countries.

The problem is, Spanish, that it is nigh-on impossible to get factual and impartial versions of events. Certainly, historical events are relayed to us through accounts of the people that were there at the time. Everyone's versions of events is coloured by their own experiences.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
From wikipedia:

'During the First World War the Pavilion was used as a hospital for wounded Indian and West Indian servicemen. Dead Sikh and Hindu Indian soldiers were cremated on the Downs to the north of Brighton, where a Pavilion-style memorial known as The Chattri was constructed in their memory'

thats incredible. Anyone else know about this?!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
thats about your limit isnt it ? at least other people on here who disagree put up opposing arguments, you just give out abuse in a pseudo american style...................... wanker.

No I think he just has an issue with ignorant bigots.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

you dont usually follow the " everyone who has something negative to say about immigration is a nazi" route , its lazy and untrue , why start now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here