Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most annoying thing about non-football fans

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Is definitely their need to explain to you why they think it's shit.

"It's just eleven men running around"
"What's the point? I don't get it!"
"Money, money, money"
"Blah blah blah!"

I don't care if you don't like football, each to their own; but for fecks sake don't talk to someone who loves it and expect them to give you anything than a pitying and/or angry look.

It'd be like me constantly saying to the girlfriend "What's the point of gardening? I don't get it, all those plants do is photosynthesise"

/Rant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm lucky that I live in a world where I rarely have to defend football to anyone.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Growing up in Australia I just learnt to give up on trying to explain why the real football is so much better to that shit called AFL..

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
If you know someone isn't into it why do you talk to them about it? You're never going to agree, so maybe give it a rest with them. Find some common interest to talk about, or only talk to people who like football. I know what'll get you further in life...

D

Deleted member 18477

Men that don't like football are not men.

Same applies to Steak and Beer.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
I'm envious. I'm definitely the odd one out in my social group. The only football chat I get is on here and with my Dad at the games!

Exactly the same, the worst i hear is the classic "Just kick it in the goal and then everyone goes home, waste of money..." I don't even bother with the reply now

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you know someone isn't into it why do you talk to them about it? You're never going to agree, so maybe give it a rest with them. Find some common interest to talk about, or only talk to people who like football. I know what'll get you further in life...

See, this is the thing. The people who consistently tell me how much they hate football are people I've tried to have a conversation with in the past only to learn they're not into it. Once I've learnt they're not then of course I leave well enough alone. It doesn't work that way for them though. It's almost as if I've become some sort of project, as if they're trying to convert me to their way of thinking.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Exactly the same, the worst i hear is the classic "Just kick it in the goal and then everyone goes home, waste of money..." I don't even bother with the reply now

Ever talked to an American about it?

"Bro, why are the scores always so low? The goal is huge bro. Bro."

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Ever talked to an American about it?

"Bro, why are the scores always so low? The goal is huge bro. Bro."

Your reply:

Yes, but these are soccer-points; the current exchange rate is one soccer-point equals fourteen American football-points - and have you seen the height of your goalposts? They're sooo tall compared to the height of our little soccer-goals; that's why soccer-points are worth so much more.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Football may be 22 men chasing a pig's bladder across a field but Hamlet is only a load of ink squiggles on pieces of paper.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Then you get those stupid non-believers trying to make out there is some closet homosexuality going on for men to be so interested in watching a bunch of blokes in shorts run around a pitch.

Grrrr!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There used to be a problem explaining professional cycling to the uninitiated.

Yesterday Bradley Wiggins showed how its done by calling every else cnuts.

If it's good enough for him.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The ones that get me are those on other, non- football, forums who feel the need to join in on football threads and tell everyone how much they hate it.
There was one bloke who would always moan on every thread about the 2006 world cup so I and a few others started answering every post he made with "I've got no interest in this whatsoever and cannot see why anyone is bothered"

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Most people slag of sports cause they don't understand the game in question, Americans sound dumb cause they dont get ''soccer'' just as people this side of the pond who slag off Gridiron are really no different.

''They cant be tough cause they wear pads'' I hear this bullshit all the time, usually from dicks who haven't even taken the time to learn anything about the sport they're slagging off.

I personally don't like Rugby, I find it extremely tedious to watch and very old fashioned looking for some reason but I don't knock it just cause I don't 'get it'

Same with Cricket, to the untrained eye it's just a man bowling a bowl to another man with a bat, rinse and repeat for 5 days. But if you understand the nuances of the sport and understand what is actually happening it can be a very compelling watch.

I love sport, pretty much anything that involves a ball, be it Football, American Football, College Football, Cricket, Snooker etc and Boxing, F1 and so on.

I don't ever try to compare them or feel allegiance to one of them only , I just enjoy them all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Or the other classic:

"Its just 22 men chasing a ball. Why not give them ALL a ball and have done with it ??"

Yes. Because that would be a f***ing TREMENDOUS spectacle wouldn't it, you utter SPACKBAT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here