Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most annoying thing about non-football fans

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Most people slag of sports cause they don't understand the game in question, Americans sound dumb cause they dont get ''soccer'' just as people this side of the pond who slag off Gridiron are really no different.

''They cant be tough cause they wear pads'' I hear this bullshit all the time, usually from dicks who haven't even taken the time to learn anything about the sport they're slagging off.

I personally don't like Rugby, I find it extremely tedious to watch and very old fashioned looking for some reason but I don't knock it just cause I don't 'get it'

Same with Cricket, to the untrained eye it's just a man bowling a bowl to another man with a bat, rinse and repeat for 5 days. But if you understand the nuances of the sport and understand what is actually happening it can be a very compelling watch.

I love sport, pretty much anything that involves a ball, be it Football, American Football, College Football, Cricket, Snooker etc and Boxing, F1 and so on.

I don't ever try to compare them or feel allegiance to one of them only , I just enjoy them all.

what is college football ? Isn't it just schoolkids ? Lol

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are non-fans of pretty much everything who can't keep their non-fandom to their selves. Look at any wrestling thread on here and there's at least one poster who comes in with "why do you watch it? it's fake!". There are just some people who feel the need to undermine anything that someone else gets that they don't understand.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
There are non-fans of pretty much everything who can't keep their non-fandom to their selves. Look at any wrestling thread on here and there's at least one poster who comes in with "why do you watch it? it's fake!". There are just some people who feel the need to undermine anything that someone else gets that they don't understand.

Human nature.

We mock what we don't understand.

Its easier.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

EDIT: I now realise you may just be mocking people who don't understand college football and thus my explanation may be unnecessary, but I'll leave it here anyway.

University. In the US they don't sign kids to teams and train them, kids play high school football, and if they do well enough they get scouted by universities who pay their fees if they play football for them. The professional teams then pick players as they graduate from university.

The university/college football league is big money, large attendances, televised games, big betting. It brings money in for colleges too, which is why the cliche exists of idiots coasting through university on their football scholarships. It's why penn state (allegedly) ignored their coach abusing children since he was bringing them success with their team.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I dunno where I stand on this subject. I love it when Albion or England win, but losing is really not going to spoil my day. It is only a game; whatever the result on Saturday, I'll still be going back to work on Monday. I think I'd have to have a serious look at my life if my happiness was dependent on the result of a sporting competition that I had no control over and negligible influence on.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
When your teams losses and they have a opinion ....c@@@@ !!!!!.

Just the fact they don't like football .

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I dunno where I stand on this subject. I love it when Albion or England win, but losing is really not going to spoil my day. It is only a game; whatever the result on Saturday, I'll still be going back to work on Monday. I think I'd have to have a serious look at my life if my happiness was dependent on the result of a sporting competition that I had no control over and negligible influence on.

Something of so little irrelevance in your life, still made you log on to a Brighton and Hove Albion football forum this morning ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Something of so little irrelevance in your life, still made you log on to a Brighton and Hove Albion football forum this morning ?

WTF? Supporting Brighton is something I enjoy doing. Consequently I enjoy reading the transfer news, speculation and general banter on here. Just because I have a life other than supporting a football team, it doesn't make it an irrelevance.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Yes dear

EDIT: I now realise you may just be mocking people who don't understand college football and thus my explanation may be unnecessary, but I'll leave it here anyway.

University. In the US they don't sign kids to teams and train them, kids play high school football, and if they do well enough they get scouted by universities who pay their fees if they play football for them. The professional teams then pick players as they graduate from university.

The university/college football league is big money, large attendances, televised games, big betting. It brings money in for colleges too, which is why the cliche exists of idiots coasting through university on their football scholarships. It's why penn state (allegedly) ignored their coach abusing children since he was bringing them success with their team.

College Football in America is even bigger than the NFL when it comes to the number of followers, the Universities are akin to our club sides in the way they are supported with a fervent loyal fan base. It is huge in terms of money making but the players do not get a cent of it (except for the scholarship of course). The PAC-12 (West Coast conference) just signed a 12 year $2.7 billion TV deal with ESPN. The notion if idiots going through college just to play football is really a thing of the past now, pretty much all major college football players have to reach a national credible level or they are pulled from the team.

Players and coaches all have to be whiter than white, the likes of John Terry wouldn't last five minutes how ever talented he was. Lat year some top players from the Ohio State Buckeyes were banned for half a season just for swapping some game shirts and BIG-10 Conference championship rings for tattoos at a local parlour. They aren't allowed to make any gain from their position as College athletes, one of them was even their star Quarterback. Their head coach was known have got wind of it but kept it quiet and he too fell on his sword.

As for Penn State, it was not their Head Coach, it was ex defensive co-coordinator Jerry Sandusky who was at the college from 1969-99. The allegations against him only came to light last year. The head coach Joe Paterno who had been HC since 1966 had nothing to do with it. He only became embroiled in it when a graduate assistant alleged to have seen Sandusky in the showers with a young boy on campus in 2003. Paterno reported this to the College authorities who did nothing. Media pressure last year over that fact that Paterno hadn't also reported it to the Police at the time led to his sacking. Paterno died of cancer just a few months later.

All very boring I'm sure for the most on here but mocking another sport is no different to the sad wankers that slag off football.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
WTF? Supporting Brighton is something I enjoy doing. Consequently I enjoy reading the transfer news, speculation and general banter on here. Just because I have a life other than supporting a football team, it doesn't make it an irrelevance.

Sorry I misunderstood your "its only a game" comment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As for Penn State, it was not their Head Coach, it was ex defensive co-coordinator Jerry Sandusky who was at the college from 1969-99. The allegations against him only came to light last year. The head coach Joe Paterno who had been HC since 1966 had nothing to do with it. He only became embroiled in it when a graduate assistant alleged to have seen Sandusky in the showers with a young boy on campus in 2003. Paterno reported this to the College authorities who did nothing. Media pressure last year over that fact that Paterno hadn't also reported it to the Police at the time led to his sacking. Paterno died of cancer just a few months later.

I was trying not to go into too much detail. I said coach, not head coach because some reports refer to defensive co-ordinator as assistant coach (and I wasn't sure of my memory of his exact position). The shower incident was 2001. Paterno is alleged to have encouraged/convinced the university not to take any action after the 2001 incident.

But things got worse for Penn State, as charges and revelations were laid out by the state attorney general’s office: Sandusky had been investigated by the campus police for possible sexual crimes against children as far back as 1998; in 2001, a graduate assistant in the football program, who was a former Penn State quarterback, had told Paterno and then other university officials that he had seen Sandusky sexually attacking a 10-year-old boy in the football building showers.

No one — not Paterno, not the graduate assistant, not the other university officials — ever reported the attack to the police. Sandusky, who had retired two years before but retained an office and privileges on campus, was merely told not to take boys onto campus any longer.

The university erupted with upset. Paterno’s reputation was badly tainted. The outsize importance of college sports was debated anew, but this time with a wrenching kind of soul-searching.​

Penn State’s Sandusky Convicted of Sexually Abusing Boys - NYTimes.com
Sandusky Son Went From Supporter to Accuser - NYTimes.com
Paterno May Have Influenced Decision Not to Report Sandusky, E-Mails Indicate - NYTimes.com

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think what drives me mad, and it's across all sports I follow, not just soccer, is when people who have seen 5 mins of the sport in the last 12 months, suddenly make a sweeping and definitive statement about the sport.

"Pah, England are always shite." They've watch perhaps 4 mins of England against a nation that they didn't even realise were now really good, but have dismissed our entire nation on the basis that we've just failed to clear a corner against a team other than Brazil.

Cricket is actually the worst, when someone will slag off England just at the news that we are perhaps 10-2. No knowledge of the bowling conditions, the state of the pitch, whether it was bad shots or brilliant bowling, or a questionable decision that led to the wickets. One of the wickets may actually have been the nightwatchman from the previous days play, but NONE of that matters to these people, they have just heard relatively few runs for a number of wickets, therefore "we're shite."

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I was trying not to go into too much detail. I said coach, not head coach because some reports refer to defensive co-ordinator as assistant coach (and I wasn't sure of my memory of his exact position). The shower incident was 2001. Paterno is alleged to have encouraged/convinced the university not to take any action after the 2001 incident.

But things got worse for Penn State, as charges and revelations were laid out by the state attorney general’s office: Sandusky had been investigated by the campus police for possible sexual crimes against children as far back as 1998; in 2001, a graduate assistant in the football program, who was a former Penn State quarterback, had told Paterno and then other university officials that he had seen Sandusky sexually attacking a 10-year-old boy in the football building showers.

No one — not Paterno, not the graduate assistant, not the other university officials — ever reported the attack to the police. Sandusky, who had retired two years before but retained an office and privileges on campus, was merely told not to take boys onto campus any longer.

The university erupted with upset. Paterno’s reputation was badly tainted. The outsize importance of college sports was debated anew, but this time with a wrenching kind of soul-searching.​

Penn State’s Sandusky Convicted of Sexually Abusing Boys - NYTimes.com
Sandusky Son Went From Supporter to Accuser - NYTimes.com
Paterno May Have Influenced Decision Not to Report Sandusky, E-Mails Indicate - NYTimes.com

So who are you on NFLUK then? :wink:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Danny Baker had it right: "Football. f***ing Football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor, half alive bastards."

I generally just pity people who don't like football.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
My missus is from Brazil. So footy is a way of life. Even her Grannie understands tactical formation differences better than me!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think what drives me mad, and it's across all sports I follow, not just soccer, is when people who have seen 5 mins of the sport in the last 12 months, suddenly make a sweeping and definitive statement about the sport.

"Pah, England are always shite." They've watch perhaps 4 mins of England against a nation that they didn't even realise were now really good, but have dismissed our entire nation on the basis that we've just failed to clear a corner against a team other than Brazil.

Cricket is actually the worst, when someone will slag off England just at the news that we are perhaps 10-2. No knowledge of the bowling conditions, the state of the pitch, whether it was bad shots or brilliant bowly, or a questionable decision that led to teh wickets. One of teh wickets may actually have been teh nightwatchman from the previous days play, but NONE of that matters to these people, they have just heard relatively few runs for a number of wickets, therefore "we're shite."

SPOT ON. Does my head in when people make snap judgments like that with NO context whatsoever.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Danny Baker had it right: "Football. f***ing Football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor, half alive bastards."

I generally just pity people who don't like football.

See my signature.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The only thing worse than this in my mind is Rugby Fans. Not people who watch the world cups ones who stand at the bar in a pub with their mates all wearing their shirts. They ALWAYS make a point of watching football if it's on the Tele just so they can crow on about 'they're all a bunch of girls' 'f***ing poofs' 'play a real mans sport' 'oh look he's fallen over agsin' etc etc etc.

I pointed out to one of them once that if footballers trained and had a diet the same as a rugby player they would be much more solid however less fast and nimble. Also I mentioned that I am pretty sure that even the hardest biggest rugby player would fall to the ground and cry his eyes out if he got a proper crunching ankle tackle or some studs down the back of his calf. Was met with a couple of blank stares.

Wankers (plus a rugby ball isn't a ball. A ball is round, the only real absolute has to have feature of every ball. A rugby 'ball' is not round. So it is just a 'rugby')

As someone who watched football and played rugby (I also played footy) I always find the football v rugby argument rather ironic. Each set of fans inevitably use the words thick, ignorant or stupid to describe the ‘others’ sport mainly because they do not understand each others sport. This in itself is ignorant. As a previous poster pointed out, just because you don’t like a sport, it doesn’t mean its crap. I hate tennis with a passion; I find it tedious to the nth degree however it doesn’t make it crap. I also hate Rugby league yet appreciate the skill involved and the ability of the players, it just that it doesn’t float my boat.
There are aspects of rugby that I don’t like, feeding the ball into scrums, the time it takes to set a scrum and mindless ‘kicking’ for position. Similarly I hate the diving, cheating and faking of injuries that you get in footy, however you have to take the good with the bad.
The reason rugby players/fans dislike football is predominately down to faking of injuries (it certainly pisses me off). The golden rule in rugby is that if you are punch, kicked or stamped on, you do not let the opposition know that they have hurt you. You simply inform your team mates of the incident and they will then deal with the matter accordingly.
How many times does a football player get touched on the face and then goes down like a sack of sh*t? Compare to rugby, to when some gets smacked in the face but still carries on with blood pouring down his face. If football player does this the he is a hero, for a rugby player it's another day at the office!
Faking of injuries is just not understood or accepted and the draconian punishments after bloodgate is a case in point.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So who are you on NFLUK then? :wink:

I'm not, was this a big topic of discussion there? I've followed the case mostly through my nytimes email and the daily show. My interest in NFL tends to come and go each year, sometimes I'll watch it every week of the season, other times just the superbowl, either way my interest in it isn't strong enough to join a discussion group on it. I'd be out of my depth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here