Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The minutes applause for Muamba ...... Why ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Really nice touch the local soldier leading out the teams tonight.

I agree the Muamba thing is a bit OTT, but the unity of the fans through it all has been something special and the fact he could have died puts everything into perspective

Obviously everyone feels for Muamba and his family and it's shocking that a 23-year-old sportsman in what everyone supposed was prime physical condition can have a heart attack - which I think gave the situation so much of its impact, bringing our own mortality sharply home to all of us.

But what about the supporter who survived a heart attack at the Amex earlier this season? Why didn't he get a minute's applause? Not famous enough? Not young enough? But still as much part of football in my opinion.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Spot on

10 people under 30 die of of a heart attack every week in the UK. They are generally not lucky enough to be surrounded by high class medical professionals at the time.

Yes, its bad for him, but having to watch everyone trying to be more concerned, hurt, blah blah than the next person every time a celebrity of some sorts is ill or dead, seems unfortunately to be the norm now.
this.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Well I thought it was brilliant. We are definitely more caring than any other club in the Championship. I recorded every minutes applause and ours was the loudest.

We are now more caring than Jermain Defoe, that Spurs fan who took flowers to the hospital on his way to work in the hospital, every player that rolled up in the latest super car to visit their 'brother in the football community' Fabrice....but not as caring as any Scouser.

Not bad 2nd in the caring league and 4th in the table...good times!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I must admit I saw the pray for Muamba T-shirts and thought it was lame. We all want him to make a full recovery but feel that some want to jump on the bandwagon of false emotion driven by our national press. A quick statement that we wish him a speedy recovery followed by a round of applause (maybe not a minute) would have been more appropriate, especially seeing the guy is concious and talking.

spot on. Too many people like jumping on bandwagons. As you rightly say, we all want him to get better but the "pray for Muamba" bandwagon is getting a little too much for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well I thought it was brilliant. We are definitely more caring than any other club in the Championship. I recorded every minutes applause and ours was the loudest.

We are now more caring than Jermain Defoe, that Spurs fan who took flowers to the hospital on his way to work in the hospital, every player that rolled up in the latest super car to visit their 'brother in the football community' Fabrice....but not as caring as any Scouser.

:lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.

Brilliant :lolol:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I did not clap for him, this should totally be saved for the dead. Fortunately Muamba is not dead, so clapping is not necessary.
I wish Muamba well..

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I thought the Muamba tribute totally took away from the far more meaningful sentiment for the wounded soldier and Brighton fan who led the teams out. THAT was worthy of our applause and more.

The mention of Muamba would have been enough but to do a minute's applause for a footballer who is recovering from a heart attack in the presense of an "ordinary" young man who has lost a leg while fighting for his country all felt a little odd to me.

Stumpy Tim

Top work :lol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Spot on

10 people under 30 die of of a heart attack every week in the UK. They are generally not lucky enough to be surrounded by high class medical professionals at the time.

Yes, its bad for him, but having to watch everyone trying to be more concerned, hurt, blah blah than the next person every time a celebrity of some sorts is ill or dead, seems unfortunately to be the norm now.

Spot on.
We all wish him well,but this 'faux grief' that sweeps through the country nowadays makes me cringe.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Agree. I've survived cancer (25 years ago now) and a stroke (13 years ago) - but, like Muamba, I'm stil alive. Can I book my minute's applause on-line somewhere, please?

No you can't you because nobody gives a shit about you, you miserable prick. You of all people should appreciate life and how lucky Muamba is to be alive.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
I've always thought there were so twats on this pages but some of the posts in this thread go beyond shocking!! It was 60 seconds of your life, he nearly died, just get on with it and if you don't agree with it just forget about it... those who care will remember the moment! My mate has pretty much cut his whole hand open with huge blisters and he still, despite pain, took pride in clapping for a great tribute! Stop your bloody moaning!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I've always thought there were so twats on this pages but some of the posts in this thread go beyond shocking!! It was 60 seconds of your life, he nearly died, just get on with it and if you don't agree with it just forget about it... those who care will remember the moment! My mate has pretty much cut his whole hand open with huge blisters and he still, despite pain, took pride in clapping for a great tribute! Stop your bloody moaning!

Give us your mate's name and we'll have a minute's applause for him before the Middlesboro' game.

Last edited:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

Thats Brilliant :D

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

Haha. Excellent work. :lol:

I read this and thought of this . . . . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here