Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The minutes applause for Muamba ...... Why ?

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
i am well chuffed the club got the solider to lead out the teams, one of the highlights of a very enjoyable night and I am also glad the club looked after his family as well. Hats off to the chap

Indeed!!! More of it I say.......Those guys are true heroes and would love it if the club made it a regular thing so we can show our appreciation for our troops, local or otherwise!

And even though it may seem a little do the right thing for the press etc and some people may think what's it got to do with us......... I for one have no problems wishing/showing Muamba that all football fans wish him well and glad we had the opportunity to show it!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I thought the genuine spontaneous applause when they put the photos of Muamba up was touching and fitting. They should have left it at that IMHO rather than labour the point with the minute's choreographed applause.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Feel really sorry for Muamba, who does seem a remarkable, accomplished and very decent chap.

But I do draw the line at being instructed to emote about random tragedy. And doing it en masse in a stadium is all a bit too North Korean for my tastes.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Embarrassing. We may as well just have applause/silence before every game while a list of every unfortunate incident to have taken place around the world since the last home match is read out.

Agree. I've survived cancer (25 years ago now) and a stroke (13 years ago) - but, like Muamba, I'm stil alive. Can I book my minute's applause on-line somewhere, please?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Thought it was good we had a round of applause, thought the reaction to the soldier leading the team out was better though - seemed louder for me.

Those who didnt want the applause for Muamba - did you clap anyway ?

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I was there when Muamba collapsed, I willed him up when he was down, applauded him off the pitch and joined in the chanting of his name. Tonight, I did not.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
1) He's alive
2) The soldier who lead the team on to the pitch kinda had his moment taken away (i thought).
3) Do we now do a minutes applause for all footballers that suffer the same thing ? God forbid he'd actually died !

Im not saying our thoughts shouldnt be with him but get a grip people (i even saw 2 young lads with with a home made t-shirt on with the words 'pray for Muamba') :rolleyes:

have to say i agree with you! i'd understand if bolton did it though!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What is wrong in showing someone you wish them well,be it the Soldier who I have great respect for or someone in the game I love who is struck down...we have all had our problems and illnesses...a lot of the ill will...ie Sod them! comes from people who are jealous of the attention given ..I personally wish anybody who has a calamity of ill health the very best...I and my family have had a more than a good share of it and would not wish anybody to suffer the same.....Well done to the Soldier and get well Muamba!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
As much as I wish him a speedy recovery, it does make me chuckle how everyone is religious all of a sudden, never been so much praying going on

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Without wishing to sound all Richard Dawkins, I am not sure about the pray bit in this day and age.

Get behind him by all means, but not everyone believes in a God.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How can a person wanting to show their respects or best wishes adversely affect anyone ? Why do people get so hot under the collar or take offense to it ? It was a minute of your life and you did not have to join in , you could have gone to the toilet or something. All these people slagging off these shows of respect, I don't get it.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Without wishing to sound all Richard Dawkins, I am not sure about the pray bit in this day and age.

Get behind him by all means, but not everyone believes in a God.

I had my 3 year old daughter speak to her imaginary friend, Leo, to make Muamba better. I think it worked.

As one guy sitting near me said last night, "f***ing hell, you don't even need to die to get a minutes applause these days." Well quite

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
1) He's alive
2) The soldier who lead the team on to the pitch kinda had his moment taken away (i thought).
3) Do we now do a minutes applause for all footballers that suffer the same thing ? God forbid he'd actually died !

Im not saying our thoughts shouldnt be with him but get a grip people (i even saw 2 young lads with with a home made t-shirt on with the words 'pray for Muamba') :rolleyes:

Spot on. Though expect I too shall be shouted down by tele band wagan jumpers

I have only one minor gripe with it:

After clapping with mighty gusto for the soldier which was well deserved and a fantastic gesture by the club to go straight into the minutes applause for Muamba, which I have no problem with whatsoever my hands were bloody sore for a while.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
But the media do almost seem to speaking in the past tense about Muamba.
His recovery hasn't fitted in with their scripts.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I'd never even heard of Muamba until last weekend, not being a Bolton fan. And whilst the whole thing is or might have been a tragedy I simply can't see what this has to do with Albion. Especially when it followed a truly heart warming round of appluase for a young man who's given his all for his country. It's the Gary Speed thing all over again. I sat down but this wasn't well received by those around me! Which took me back many years to when the first ex-wife dragged me to see the Russian ballet at Sadlers Wells just after the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. We - and some Americans near us - refused to stand for the Russsian anthem at the end of the show and a huge fist fight broke out. Those were the days! Good luck to Muamba, but it ai'nt anything at all to me with me or the footie club I love...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here