Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Micky Adams apologist........

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Thank you.

I don't see Adams as the manager to take us to Falmer. What about all that talk of Dean Wilkins taking us to Falmer with a young squad full of talented, local players? Clearly that was a nice PR spin at the time.

There is not point boo'ing Adams et al and as fans I expect most people will still get behind the team. Nobody WANTS us to be shit after all.

Not to say I am happy with things though.

Spot on!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I was unhappy at the sacking of DW and worried about MA coming back although his support for Falmer whilst he was away showed that he did care about the club. Then I think of last Christmas and the Millwall game and how the playing side of the club seemed to be tearing itself apart. Yet DW in the end pulled it around. Who is to say that as grim as things look at the moment MA will not do the same? I think we just have to go with MA for the moment. January will be very interesting.

Whilst I admire optimism, a blind and unwavering devotion at the expense of all available evidence is a little worrying. Reading Harty’s first post my overriding emotion was one of sadness because I couldn’t agree less. I would love to be optimistic right now, and perhaps we can turn it around on the pitch. But my greatest sadness is that one of the clubs greatest and most successful servants in it’s history seems to have been sacrificed in an ambitious, but ultimately unsuccessful PR and marketing ploy. As Brovian says, this sort of policy makes us no different to any other team out there. I was proud to watch a bunch of lads from Sussex battle it out against bigger and better financed opposition. I have little connection with 5 loan signings trying to regain fitness or form for their clubs whilst Sussex lads who took us to 7th last year sit on the bench, in the reserves or out on loan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The thing that gives me hope that promotion is still a possibility for us is under Wilkins we had that bad spell post christmas and still nearly made it. If we turn things around in the next game or two, and maintain it for the rest of the season, it will ultimately be a season that is almost the same as last year, with the really bad run brought forward to before christmas.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The thing that gives me hope that promotion is still a possibility for us is under Wilkins we had that bad spell post christmas and still nearly made it. If we turn things around in the next game or two, and maintain it for the rest of the season, it will ultimately be a season that is almost the same as last year, with the really bad run brought forward to before christmas.

Couple of massive IFs there, and that still only gives us "ultimately ... a season that is almost the same as last year."

So, in other words, this season is almost certainly going to be a backward step from last year, yeah?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Couple of massive IFs there, and that still only gives us "ultimately ... a season that is almost the same as last year."

So, in other words, this season is almost certainly going to be a backward step from last year, yeah?

I don't believe there's any more ifs in there than in "If we continue like this, we're gonna be in a relegation dogfight"

It could be the same as last year, a little backward step. It could also be a little bit better. We only need to be one place better for the play offs.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
We didn't paper over the cracks last season, Harty. As you well know, that is a phrase I find to be disrespectful to Wilkins' acheivements last season.

If we're talking about papering over the cracks, then surely the Man City result under MA in September was the best example of such a statement! That result had everyone forgetting about our UTTER shite league form, and instead bowing down and kissing the feet of Adams for being a 'giant-killer'.

Fact is, we can't speculate on how Wilkins would have done with the team this season. How can ANYONE claim that we would probably be lower in the league at this point if Wilkins was in charge. Ludicrous!

What we do know is that Wilkins finished 7th with a very average squad last season. Now Adams has a better squad and we are not getting results at all. It's a results business, and at least Wilkins managed to get them even when the team was playing badly.

Finally, how can anyone say we will be a long way safe from relegation at the end of the season? If our poor form continues, of course we are going to be involved in a relegation scrap. At the moment I don't see any signs that our current form will change. I will hold my hands up come May if I'm wrong, but for the moment we are very very poor. If our next 17 league games, are anything like the last 17 then we might find ourselves in trouble. No one can deny that, anyone who does is deluded.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The quality of individual players is better than last season
I'm not actually convinced it is. It is largely the same team, the replacements:

Lynch - Hawkins
O'Callaghan/Hammond/Racon - Livermore/Savage/Johnson
Westlake - McLeod
Revell/Bas - Virgo

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't believe there's any more ifs in there than in "If we continue like this, we're gonna be in a relegation dogfight"

It could be the same as last year, a little backward step. It could also be a little bit better. We only need to be one place better for the play offs.

IF we turn things round in teh game game or two, and
IF we maintain it for the rest of teh season.

Big asks, to get back to where we were.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Think so. It would me appear mine and Lokki's posts aimed at the attention seeking twat have been removed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not actually convinced it is. It is largely the same team, the replacements:

Lynch - Hawkins
O'Callaghan/Hammond/Racon - Livermore/Savage/Johnson
Westlake - McLeod
Revell/Bas - Virgo

Not so sure that you are correct I would say it is more

Lynch - Virgo
Butters - Hawkins
Westlake - McLeod
O'Callaghan/Hammond/Racon - Thornton Johnson Ayinsah with Livermore as back up.

Revell/Baz - Fleetwood + possibly 1 to come Farren?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not so sure that you are correct I would say it is more

Lynch - Virgo
Butters - Hawkins
Westlake - McLeod
O'Callaghan/Hammond/Racon - Thornton Johnson Ayinsah with Livermore as back up.

Revell/Baz - Fleetwood + possibly 1 to come Farren?
I wouldn't say Virgo has replaced Lynch. Lynch last season played when fit, Hawkins until the last few games has been undroppable and Virgo has been shunted all over the park. Also Thornton and Joe are wingers, the others are all central players.

But anyway the point I'm making is that it's not entirely clear cut, some of the players are better quality (Thornton better than Westlake for example) but we've also got less quality in some areas than we had last season.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No I don't, actually, so pipe down.

I didn't want him here, but there's nothing to gain by sacking him now. We couldn't afford it for starters.

All that PISSES me off, is f***ing KNOBS trying to patronise anyone who dares suggest things are not going well, and making out that they are either idiots or disloyal.

I'll be at Stockport tomorrow night, disloyal idiot that I am. Will you?

I agree and I will be at Stockport as well. I don't think it fair to be criticized for complaining about MA's poor and often baffling management by people who have only attended a couple of games. Without coming over all uberfanny (good word), I really think people need to get their heads around the idea that it might not be disloyalty, Wilkins love, Adams hate, rose tinted specs etc., etc but a genuine, valid viewpoint based on having to watch a great deal of gash football.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My biggest fear when reading threads like this is that MA will read some of the crap written on here - whether its wildly pro-Micky or madly anti - and actually make decisions based on what he reads. I actually think he's too smart for that, but it does worry me.

As someone wrote on here a week or so back, once upon a time we'd have gone home from the game and had a moan in the car or on the train to one or two mates and that was it. Not endless hand wringing and vitriolic ranting from the safety of your Spectrum Z64.

I worry that MA might decide to chuck it in and then we end up with one of the currently unemployed lower league journeymen managers who have no feeling for the Albion and who's idea of success was once making the 4th Division play-offs. Surely we don't want the manager's recently sacked by Swindon, Carlisle, York or wherever?

But hopefully he will look at every MA Out poll on this board over the past few weeks and months and see that - despite the ranting - the majority have voted for Mickey to stay and be successful. He came here in difficult circumstances that we don't know all about and I am glad to be amongst the majority who were pleased then and confident that he is the guy who I want sitting in the manager's chair at the Albion.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I agree and I will be at Stockport as well. I don't think it fair to be criticized for complaining about MA's poor and often baffling management by people who have only attended a couple of games. Without coming over all uberfanny (good word), I really think people need to get their heads around the idea that it might not be disloyalty, Wilkins love, Adams hate, rose tinted specs etc., etc but a genuine, valid viewpoint based on having to watch a great deal of gash football.

For the record, I haven't been to any games this season. I got fed-up of the football being served up under Wilkins, and decided not to renew my season ticket the year before last. There - does that satisfy you? Does that make me any less eligible for an opinion? No - more disloyal? Probably!

And I'm not criticising people for having a moan, it's the continuous bullshit that he is a crap manager, and we have made a enormous mistake getting him back etc etc... Yes it's not good, yes we are struggling for form and consistency, but is that ALL the managers fault? I would beg to differ.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
My biggest fear when reading threads like this is that MA will read some of the crap written on here - whether its wildly pro-Micky or madly anti - and actually make decisions based on what he reads. I actually think he's too smart for that, but it does worry me.

As someone wrote on here a week or so back, once upon a time we'd have gone home from the game and had a moan in the car or on the train to one or two mates and that was it. Not endless hand wringing and vitriolic ranting from the safety of your Spectrum Z64.

I worry that MA might decide to chuck it in and then we end up with one of the currently unemployed lower league journeymen managers who have no feeling for the Albion and who's idea of success was once making the 4th Division play-offs. Surely we don't want the manager's recently sacked by Swindon, Carlisle, York or wherever?

But hopefully he will look at every MA Out poll on this board over the past few weeks and months and see that - despite the ranting - the majority have voted for Mickey to stay and be successful. He came here in difficult circumstances that we don't know all about and I am glad to be amongst the majority who were pleased then and confident that he is the guy who I want sitting in the manager's chair at the Albion.

Some reasoned comments at long last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here