Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We are looking to convert as many Palace JCL's as possible-

you know the ones-

Dad or Mum make the move from London to Sussex-post on here about the Eagles and rightly so-but as time goes by the children of these say "mum Dad" i want to follow Brighton why do you support a club so far away and Brighton are my local club doing well and in the Championship with great crowds.

Some will not be converted but,in time,the recent London to Sussex JCL's will lose their support to Brighton-this applies to all clubs.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I haven't seen ANY 'jcl' posts on here that haven't seemed entirely tongue in cheek.

In all seriousness though we do want new people we don't want it to be too plastic. But I'm not that worried about it, because most people that have season tickets for next year seem to be people who ARE Brighton fans but who haven't neccesarily been going to Withdean for every game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Me? How so?

I assume you mean people who pick up teams as they move up the leagues? That is just the way things go though isn't it? especially with kids.

remember the blackburn shirts around the town worn by kiddies when they won the league...you are right , its just how things are

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This.

And there needs to be some distinction between JCLs on NSC, and JCLs to BHA...

Ah there is. A JCL to the Albion is, .... er, .... well, .... a JCL. A new poster on NSC is a 'newbie'. Obviously you can be a 'newbie' in NSC terms but a longstanding/lapsed/returning Albion fan in 'real life'.

Hope that clears it up!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
The wilderness years with the mismanagement of Sizen/Bedson, followed by the crookery of Archer (with his puppets Stanley/Bellotti),
made Sussex prime for youngsters turning to LFC, MUFC, Arsenal & Chelski. Coinciding with the SkySports era.

All this was natural.

But with an amazing and large stadium, the nucleus of true BHAFC fans will grow.

There's no reason to be against the new fans. Anyway, anecdotally, many people I know are BHAFC fans from the 60's or later, and are just coming back to their true club now it has a proper stadium and team.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Without the "jcl's" we might as well have stayed at the withdean so why not shut the f*** up about it. If Anyones got a problem with the new faces then approach them in person at the Amex instead of being self righteous weasels & spouting crap on here.... It's getting f***ing boring now

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Well that's it, all over. No more discussion because tezz79 says so. And because he sounds tough we'd better all be quiet. Or shut the f*** up as he oh so eloquently puts it :(

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well that's it, all over. No more discussion because tezz79 says so. And because he sounds tough we'd better all be quiet. Or shut the f*** up as he oh so eloquently puts it :(
Yes, I was thinking that. I thought it was quite a good discussion actually but as the NSC Thread Police have told us to 'shut the f*** up' I suppose we'd better. Although I DO get the feeling that Tezz is going to get a tad frustrated as this subject is topical and it WILL come up again and again.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
If I hear or see anything to do with another team from the Premiershite next season, they'll get a deserved slap. The question what needs to be answered is, where were you when we were shit?! Yesterday when we came out to get the League One trophy. Baz and Battipedi were announced some people round Block C to B onwards, shouted out Who?! I was shaking my head in disgust, if we struggle next season. (I don't think we will I might add). Will they go away again and sit on their armchairs and watch the Football from the comfort of their own Televisions.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't have a problem with fans having another club - I couldn't do it myself, but I would rather they came to the Brighton games as opposed to not.

Towards the end, The Goldstone was not a particularly family friendly place and then we have had to endure 14 years of a nomadic existence. Respect to the parents/kids for not giving up - it is all too easy to support a top side without having to venutre further afield than your own living room.

"Where were you when we were shit?" is cringeworthy. I seem to remember someone, a while ago, posting "Don't you know who I am or what I did?" - justifying that they were a much more valuable fan than the next person.

No-one deserves a slap for supporting another team or wearing a different shirt or checking the scores of their other team.

As for supporting the local club. It works both ways. We have plenty of exiles on here that travel far and wide to follow Brighton. Shouldn't they follow their local team?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
'Rules' suggestions for JCL to BHA:

1. Find out about the history of the club, especially the last 20 years or so.

2. Don't say 'Who is Bill Archer, or Jimmy Case, or Robbie Reinelt, or Adam Virgo, etc etc?'

3. Don't wear another team's shirt to BHA games

4. Have a really valid answer to the chant of 'Where were you when we were shit?' (which personally I really do hope IS sung on 6th August!). Valid answers are: 'I was only 6', 'I was living/working abroad for 14 years', 'I was skint/living on the breadline'...

5. "Does your boyfriend know you are here ?" is a rhetorical question. Your boyfriend does not need to know whether you are here.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
If I hear or see anything to do with another team from the Premiershite next season, they'll get a deserved slap. The question what needs to be answered is, where were you when we were shit?! Yesterday when we came out to get the League One trophy. Baz and Battipedi were announced some people round Block C to B onwards, shouted out Who?! I was shaking my head in disgust, if we struggle next season. (I don't think we will I might add). Will they go away again and sit on their armchairs and watch the Football from the comfort of their own Televisions.

I was away serving in the Army mate. Finished my 22 years & moved back to Sussex last September. So when we were shit I was probably sat in the desert or somewhere. I will be checking my phone to check on other scores when I'm at football. WSU if you wish to come & attempt to slap me.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I was away serving in the Army mate. Finished my 22 years & moved back to Sussex last September. So when we were shit I was probably sat in the desert or somewhere. I will be checking my phone to check on other scores when I'm at football. WSU if you wish to come & attempt to slap me.

Jesus christ. Read it again.....

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Yes, I was thinking that. I thought it was quite a good discussion actually but as the NSC Thread Police have told us to 'shut the f*** up' I suppose we'd better. Although I DO get the feeling that Tezz is going to get a tad frustrated as this subject is topical and it WILL come up again and again.
How's it a good topic ? So you think that just the regulars from the withdean are the only ones worthy to attend matches at the Amex ? Would you enjoy the atmosphere at a half empty stadium ?
Fact is you lot are patronising and arrogant to people that are showing passion to the very team you claim to support

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
You lot think your better than anyone who hasn't been able to attend matches week in week out so I'm sorry to break the news to you pal but you come across as arrogant. As for being tough that's your words not mine but I certainly wouldn't shy away from a debate face to face with you

Peterrhodes

Aug 18, 2009
London
JCL is only offensive if aimed that way. I've been on and off coming to the albion since the 80s. I used to look at NSC to keep up to date when living 100s of miles away but only joined up when moving to London and able to get to more games, so getting a season ticket, I have renewed for next season but as Ive only posted when I felt I had something to say, not just making incoherent comments I am an easy target for this branding. I have never bought a replica for another club, I have no prem team and have been working hard to get closer to sussex just to watch the albion.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
JCL is only offensive if aimed that way. I've been on and off coming to the albion since the 80s. I used to look at NSC to keep up to date when living 100s of miles away but only joined up when moving to London and able to get to more games, so getting a season ticket, I have renewed for next season but as Ive only posted when I felt I had something to say, not just making incoherent comments I am an easy target for this branding. I have never bought a replica for another club, I have no prem team and have been working hard to get closer to sussex just to watch the albion.
Nothing wrong with that mate, you don't have to explain yourself to all the people on this forum with inferiority complexes

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ah there is. A JCL to the Albion is, .... er, .... well, .... a JCL. A new poster on NSC is a 'newbie'. Obviously you can be a 'newbie' in NSC terms but a longstanding/lapsed/returning Albion fan in 'real life'.

Hope that clears it up!

That be me-newbie that is-have changed the settings from "read only" at long last-

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There is another side to that though. We're going to have all the eighteen year old Manchester Utd fans saying "Yeah I used to sneer at the weird kids at school who only supported Brighton but I've been to the odd Brighton game (checking the Man U score all the time obviously) and now I'm an STH at the Amex I'm just as much a Brighton fan as someone who's been going since 1947." On one level that's true obviously (and I'm not one who wanted/wants to see just the 5000 Withdean diehards at Falmex) - but what else can we call these people except JCLs? It's a convenient shorthand for new fans, it's not a derogatory term, it just signifies that they've come to the party late. And I could be doing them a disservice, but WHEN we struggle again (which we will as football for clubs like us is always cyclical) are they going to abandon the ship as quickly as they jumped on it?

"Where were you when we were shit?" (And when we needed you).

Everyone starts somewhere though so why should they be made to feel like outsiders and unwelcome?

I expect there are plenty of our long term fans who either supported another club before switching to the Albion, or also support another team. My Father was a Villa fan when at school and he went to watch Villa (1st time he'd gone to see them play) play us at the Goldstone in 1972 and was hooked on the Albion from that point on, he went to our very next fixture which was Bournemouth away.

He has supported the Albion ever since, through all the good times and the bad. He was a regular at the Goldstone and at the Priestfield when we played there and has had a season ticket for every season at the Withdean and has a St for next season.

Just because we are moving to a new ground doesn't mean this is the only reason why or time we are getting new fans, we would have had new fans joining us every season, and will continue to do so well into the future, even when the novelty of a new stadium has warn off.

Some people need to chill out about the fact that we will have more supporters in the ground, whoever they are and however long they have supported the Albion, those who complain should remember that they do not have the right to dictate who goes to games, but are there to watch and (hopefully but seemingly not always) cheer on the team.

The length of time you have been a fan or whether you have only ever supported the Albion or support(ed) other teams too doesn't give you any more or less right to be in attendance, nor does the number of games you have been to compared to others, everyone pays their money and its there choice to come or not and not for those Johnny come earlies to decide if they are worthy or not and to make them feel unwelcome if they don't think they are enough of a 'true' supporter.

We are onto a good thing at Falmer and that in turn is likely to increase interest in the club, the club is a business and needs to make money to help keep it afloat and keep it as competitive as possible on the pitch, more income means more to spend on better players which hopefully brings more success and the club playing as high as possible in the leagues, pushing away potential customers and limiting our clubs income is very short sighted and can only be a bad thing and have no benefit what so ever.

I know that a lot of the JCL comments are tongue in cheek but do the people on the receiving end know? or do they feel they are intruding at a private club and its being made clear they are not wanted so they are unlikely to return or renew their ST

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here