Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'll own up to that. Several, in fact. All down to where I have lived over the years and how I have always supported my local team - 'til I die, as we say.

I don't expect anyone else to be particularly bothered that, yesterday, Newport County beat Gateshead by a record margin for an away victory - 7 (SEVEN) - 1. And I doubt if many folk are thinking that 1-1 at half-time is not quite good enough for Birmingham City today. But these things matter to me.

Carry on.

Make that a couple then-what about the prospect of 3000 future daily users on NSC my Lord?

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Anyone who supports a top club without any local or family connections is a gloryhunting twunt in my opinion. I got fed up all through school with 'Brighton r shit, ure not even in the premiership' from kids who'd never even seen 'their team' in the flesh.

I give SirElliottBennett stick about being an Arsenal fan but in fairness when he started coming to Brighton games he switched allegiances completely as should be the case. I don't begrudge these people coming to the games as it is obviously money in the club's coffers but as mentioned above you have no right to commune with any long standing supporters of the club until you have proven your worth.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
God- yes i think i remember a poster with that name way back when-have to remember i was a "read only" type back then.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Anyone who supports a top club without any local or family connections is a gloryhunting twunt in my opinion. I got fed up all through school with 'Brighton r shit, ure not even in the premiership' from kids who'd never even seen 'their team' in the flesh.

I give SirElliottBennett stick about being an Arsenal fan but in fairness when he started coming to Brighton games he switched allegiances completely as should be the case. I don't begrudge these people coming to the games as it is obviously money in the club's coffers but as mentioned above you have no right to commune with any long standing supporters of the club until you have proven your worth.

the 1st bit so true-did apply even when i was at school when we were at Wembley in 1983-even now the odd Blackburn shirt can still be found in Sussex-ha ha ha

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
In my opinion you have to be a complete cock to turn up to a match in any other clubs shirt than the 2 involved. However I haven't seen any mention of the fact that the colour of everyones money is the same, wether your first Albion games is at the Amex in august or was in 3rd division south 60 odd years ago. At the end of the day whatever money we ALL put into the club will fund our continued improvement on the pitch which will ,in turn, encourage more support ..... when that happens maybe the 1st generation jcl's can have this same pathetic argument with 2nd generation jcl's.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's like having a sister who has a new boyfriend, and soon you findout that her boyfriend is married and ultimately his heart lies somewherelse. They may have a little fling together but you know it will end badly, like any brother you are awkward towards the boyfriend and try to save your sister as quickly as you can because you know it will hurt more in the long run.

If supporters want to join they are welcome, they can come and adore the club as much as the rest of us but don't be suprised if we see you flirting around with another club and get overprotected or pissed off that we have shared our firstlove and you secretly had a heart that lied elsewhere

Broady

Apr 17, 2011
When we bought the tickets, they were not assured of promotion and even if they had been relegated or w/e, I still would have gone if offered the chance. The stadium looks awesome.

@ wearing a prem team shirt, why would I do that, if I was to go and watch Brighton, I would be supporting them, not my prem team etc. I have been to the withdean a few times but tbh the atmosphere is awful and barely anyone sings. I haven't been for a few months so it may be different now. Hopefully with a bigger stadium and more people in a stadium with a roof etc, the atmosphere will improve.

Also if Brighton were to play Man united I would remain neutral for now, but who knows, by watching Albion week in week out, maybe a love for them will blossom :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Who really cares what shirt or rucksack people are wearing?? Get over yourself
If you're at the game, and supporting the Albion you're ok by me. (even if you're checking your phone for other results....briefly)

So you would feel really happy with fans sitting near you at home games with a Chelsea or Arsenal shirt on would you ?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So you would feel really happy with fans sitting near you at home games with a Chelsea or Arsenal shirt on would you ?

It's all about respecting the home fans imho. If...sorry, when west ham come to the Amex next season, i'll sit quietly in the north stand, clap politely if BHA score and not make a sound if WH score.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I have a family connection (ex player is an uncle)at Chelsea long before Roman Abramovich took over, and regard them as my second team, but if it came to Albion v Chelsea in any comp, it would certainly be the Albion I would be wanting to win with every sinew of my body. I have been abused at half time and full time at the Bridge for shouting when Albion have been winning. Because of my health, withdean was just not practical for me to attend, so I went to Stamford Bridge now and then, where I could watch football in comfort and without compromising my health. But if we were still at The Goldstone or Withdean had better facilities, I would have been there no question. Albion was my first ever live match and I have been hooked ever since. before my illness, I was more or less ever present in the North stand from around 79, as I was only allowed to go in the west with family before then. JCL is a derogatory thing to say, because there are loads of situations why somebody cannot or has not been before Or are just coming back. Yes there are bandwagon jumpers, but I reckon half of them will become fully fledged Seagulls in time. I have very small feelings for Chelsea, but absolutely love Albion and have done since 1976, and if that makes me a JCL or a glory hunter, then so be it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Also if Brighton were to play Man united I would remain neutral for now, but who knows, by watching Albion week in week out, maybe a love for them will blossom :)

The second of half of that sentence is what need and I believe will happen for many fans of premiership teams

Oct 6, 2010

Did I say it would make me really happy?? No.
I just wouldn't care.
I will concede, I can't conceive why anyone would want to wear a shirt of any other club than those playing on the day, but care, I would not.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Have to admit have seen this type of thing before and never sits well with me-thanks for the gate money btw but next time please adhere to the dress code.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All newcomers should be made extra welcome. As long as they don't wear a Liverpool shirt to the game like some middle-aged bloke bringing his kid to Withdean yesterday. Great for bringing your nipper along, but could you not give the Liverpool shirt a rest for ONE afternoon?
Exactly. I think some people on this thread have spectacularly missed the point. When we talk about JCLs it's got NOTHING to do with NSC, when you registered, how many posts you've made, etc etc etc, that's all a load of irrelevant bollocks. This is about watching the Albion. More importantly it's about people in the three home stands at Falmex SUPPORTING the Albion. I don't give a toss if you also support Manchester Utd or Eastbourne Borough, or if you take a sneaky look at your phone to see how Chelsea are doing, none of that's important either - just make sure that during the game you're cheering for the Albion.

My only concern is I don't want Falmex to end up like MK Dons where people announce the fact they're not real fans of the club by turning up in their Premiership shirts.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
We're going to have all the eighteen year old Manchester Utd fans saying "Yeah I used to sneer at the weird kids at school who only supported Brighton but I've been to the odd Brighton game (checking the Man U score all the time obviously) and now I'm an STH at the Amex I'm just as much a Brighton fan as someone who's been going since 1947."

On one level that's true obviously (and I'm not one who wanted/wants to see just the 5000 Withdean diehards at Falmex) - but what else can we call these people except JCLs? It's a convenient shorthand for new fans, it's not a derogatory term, it just signifies that they've come to the party late. And I could be doing them a disservice, but WHEN we struggle again (which we will as football for clubs like us is always cyclical) are they going to abandon the ship as quickly as they jumped on it?

"Where were you when we were shit?" (And when we needed you).

This.

And there needs to be some distinction between JCLs on NSC, and JCLs to BHA...

Some 'rules' suggestions for JCLs on NSC:

1. Don't post too much on here until you've read the boards for a couple of weeks, and got a measure of quite how much irony/tongue-in-cheek/general humour there is.

2. Don't slag off people on here until you know how much respect they have, otherwise you WILL be branded a JCL.

3. Don't ask stupid questions that 99.99% of BHA fans know the answer to, or you could get the answer by looking somewhere else, or (heaven forbid) by using a bit of common sense... (eg. yesterday I saw the thread that asked will the Amex always be called the Amex?!! Derrrrrrrrrrr...)

'Rules' suggestions for JCL to BHA:

1. Find out about the history of the club, especially the last 20 years or so.

2. Don't say 'Who is Bill Archer, or Jimmy Case, or Robbie Reinelt, or Adam Virgo, etc etc?'

3. Don't wear another team's shirt to BHA games

4. Have a really valid answer to the chant of 'Where were you when we were shit?' (which personally I really do hope IS sung on 6th August!). Valid answers are: 'I was only 6', 'I was living/working abroad for 14 years', 'I was skint/living on the breadline'...

I got really annoyed yesterday when someone I know saw my 10-year-old lad's BHA T-shirt and said, "Oh yes, you're happy to wear all that now you're winning...". I had a right go at the bloke, and told him in no uncertain terms that my son had been wearing BHA stuff for the last 6 years or so, around town and at school where the other kids are either Oxford fans (fair enough, of course), or ManU, Chelski, Arse, Liv

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here