Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think part of the psyche/attitude against JCL's is that previously people announced in the office , and parties in the pub or even to neighbours that they are Albion fans. This usually promotes all kinds of banter with the Albion fan feeling he / she has to justify why they support the Albion and feel good about their local loyalty. Now when they say it, many others will say yeah, me too.
Very good point Mr Bred. I've spent what seems like half of my life being asked who my premiership team is, or why the hell I support the Albion. For this reason it can seem a bit miffing, if that's a word, that the same folk are now going to be going to the Amex, because to me it is the same club.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
like someone said earlier 'JCL' threads are going to be common next season when these deluded uber-fans are sat around people who arent 100% albion supporters!! People come on here moaning ther arses off because theyve been stood near people at away games who are asking about other scores:tantrum: boo hoo i've done that before as i usually have an accumulator on,whats the problem with asking a mate who's on his iphone to check a f***ing football score?

first game expect 5-10 individual threads about new fans,wrong songs,people looking at prem scores,people sitting/standing in the wrong places and trouble/rudeness etc

i cant wait....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The whole point is this-
We have all played a part in keeping the club going.

In years 1947 to 1986 the seasonal average gate fell bellow 10,000 on only 4 occasions.

1986 to 1996 was the poor support period as we failed to achieve a single 10,000 plus average.

1932 to 1979 we had on occasion 30,000 plus gates in each decade.

1997 to 2011 was understandable why we never had 10,000 gates.

The all time Brighton home average attendance stood at 12,500 when we left the Goldstone,that has now dipped to just over 11,000.
For the record Crystal Palace's all time attendance stands at 15,300(so we are not that far behind).

Taking the support we did to Wembley in 1983 & 1991 and Cardiff 2004 would never had happened if we never had the support of JCL's some of which are the most loyal fans of the current era.

We have done as i suspected we would do and filled Falmer this 1st season-and yes it can be argued that winning promotion helped.

The club is a family-we battled away against the Board back in the mid 1990's, a term i like to refer to as "the war years".

So rejoice in the fact that we have 18,000 fans next season and remember this is what we all wanted.

The good times are coming and we have a chance to improve on that all time average.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I spend a bit of time on a couple of Liverpool forums (ooo I know I'm terrible). They have exactly the same issue and people complaining. Singing LiiiiiiVeeeeerrrrrPooooool too fast etc etc.

Maybe it just means we are becoming a big club.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
The whole point is this-
We have all played a part in keeping the club going.

In years 1947 to 1986 the seasonal average gate fell bellow 10,000 on only 4 occasions.

1986 to 1996 was the poor support period as we failed to achieve a single 10,000 plus average.

1932 to 1979 we had on occasion 30,000 plus gates in each decade.

1997 to 2011 was understandable why we never had 10,000 gates.

The all time Brighton home average attendance stood at 12,500 when we left the Goldstone,that has now dipped to just over 11,000.
For the record Crystal Palace's all time attendance stands at 15,300(so we are not that far behind).

Taking the support we did to Wembley in 1983 & 1991 and Cardiff 2004 would never had happened if we never had the support of JCL's some of which are the most loyal fans of the current era.

We have done as i suspected we would do and filled Falmer this 1st season-and yes it can be argued that winning promotion helped.

The club is a family-we battled away against the Board back in the mid 1990's, a term i like to refer to as "the war years".

So rejoice in the fact that we have 18,000 fans next season and remember this is what we all wanted.

The good times are coming and we have a chance to improve on that all time average.

Great post mate..... Some people are just never happy

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I was at Doncaster home-Hereford and Gillingham and have only been to 2 games this season and i don't have a season ticket due to work-i will accept newbie and johnny ,but come lately? lets put it this way if i die tomorrow or in 60 years time i will only support Albion.

You sir are NOT a JCL.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
All fans should be welcome, particularly new ones.

I do reserve the right to laugh at anyone from Sussex supporting Manchester United though.

Wierdo.
:lolol:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Very good point Mr Bred. I've spent what seems like half of my life being asked who my premiership team is, or why the hell I support the Albion. For this reason it can seem a bit miffing, if that's a word, that the same folk are now going to be going to the Amex, because to me it is the same club.

The Albion are my premiership club.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The Albion are my premiership club.

This in a nutshell is the argument. You stick with one club regardless. If you're 8,9, 10 or 11 say and are switching sides now then that's fair enough. But to be 18 and swapping over with yer Dad, well, that's just bad parenting in my book. I'd have taken my chances with Barnados personally.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't because i hate them, their attitude, ferguson and their players with a passion. Any other English team and i'm right on board.

succinctly put ....so this

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Thank you portlock.I see by your join date that unlike me you are no newbie either<laughs>

Quite alright :) Anyone else unsure whether they're a JCL or not, I'm happy to sit in Judgement if you detail your Albion history. To assist though, JCL does NOT include people who previously attended the Goldstone and/or always look for the Albion result first. It DOES include Premiership supporting people who've been on this planet a couple of decades and missed all the fun of the War years because they were too ashamed to be associated with our great club. Nothing wrong with being a JCL, after a few years I hope you've fully converted. But you need to prove your stripes first and put some time in first. It's just a bit like being a fresher - the passage of time removes the tag eventually. You're just a JCL until then - enjoy it, most of us had to do our infancy in far leaner times you ungrateful sods!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
some of the "fun" of The war years were the sit down protest's at the traffic lights on the junction of old Shoreham road after a match.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I've said it before and I'll say it again. From an outsider looking in for several years (long before I registered) the attitude of some of the people on here towards fellow Albion fans is embarasing. Who gives a shit if you've posted 5 times or 5000 times? Who gives a shit if you only make it to 4 or 5 games a season compared to every game? If you were born in Brighton you have as much right to support your hometown club as ANY other person on here. It's about time forum users chilled out a bit and make this a friendly, welcoming place rather than the slaughtering your fellow people for not knowing the words to a song or not being old enough to remember games at the Goldstone, etc etc

I've said it before and I'll say it again. From an outsider looking in for several years (long before I registered) the attitude of some of the people on here towards fellow Albion fans is embarasing. Who gives a shit if you've posted 5 times or 5000 times? Who gives a shit if you only make it to 4 or 5 games a season compared to every game? If you were born in Brighton you have as much right to support your hometown club as ANY other person on here. It's about time forum users chilled out a bit and make this a friendly, welcoming place rather than the slaughtering your fellow people for not knowing the words to a song or not being old enough to remember games at the Goldstone, etc etc

another jcl:facepalm:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
All newcomers should be made extra welcome. As long as they don't wear a Liverpool shirt to the game like some middle-aged bloke bringing his kid to Withdean yesterday. Great for bringing your nipper along, but could you not give the Liverpool shirt a rest for ONE afternoon?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well the same could be said of NSC was not too long in the recent past that 300 active users were on line today it gets close to 1000 some days and part of this is down to NSC JCL's like myself-

Still i feel in the spirit of NSC one has to respect one's elders to a degree as there are some well respected posters on here-

Ultimately it can only be good for NSC and Brighton if we were to have if future years say 3000 regular on line.

I have no other-but some of the longest season ticket holders at Withdean have ANOTHER TEAM-
I'll own up to that. Several, in fact. All down to where I have lived over the years and how I have always supported my local team - 'til I die, as we say.

I don't expect anyone else to be particularly bothered that, yesterday, Newport County beat Gateshead by a record margin for an away victory - 7 (SEVEN) - 1. And I doubt if many folk are thinking that 1-1 at half-time is not quite good enough for Birmingham City today. But these things matter to me.

Carry on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here