Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I think a few people on here are vastly overestimating the number of new ST holders who have no previous connection with the club, imagining them all to be Hove based Man United or Arsenal fans who've never expressed the slightest interest in the Albion until this point. Sure, there will be a few, accept that.

The great majority of our new ST holders are going to be people who, if they were ever asked which football team they supported, would have said "Brighton". They may not have attended games for years, or only sporadically, but been unable to justify the cost of a ST on that basis. They might live further away, they might be among the great numbers who were turned off by the Gillingham experience, or the general pain-in-the-arse situation regarding getting tickets for Withdean. Twenty years ago, local people might have found themselves in town on a Saturday morning, realised they had nothing else to do, and popped down to the Albion for the afternoon. Withdean has made that, if not impossible, certainly a drag which lots of people might not be bothered with.

We had a crowd of 19,000 the season Barry Lloyd got us promoted from this level: they weren't all JCLs. We had bigger crowds still in the sixties, seventies and early eighties. These people have always been here, they are just the Lost Generation who drifted away in the aftermath of years of decline and decay at the Albion. They looked out for our results. They kept buying the Argus to read the reports. They always considered themselves to be Albion fans, just ones of the armchair variety, and some of them turned up for bigger games- cup matches, the play offs and so on. Because someone hasn't been regularly for years doesn't mean they know nothing of the club. This is not a situation like Crawley's FA Cup game at Old Trafford this season, where 7,000 of the 10,000 who went had never ever seen Crawley play prior to that day.

Other clubs would kill to have 18,000 season ticket holders. Plymouth are trying everything under the sun to increase their attendances and raise revenue- do you think they're worried that some of them might not have been to Home Park for ten years? No chance. The chances are, as soon as the season starts, the new ST holders will really get into it, going to games will become an enjoyable habit, whatever the results on the pitch, and they'll rediscover what they've been missing for years. And they won't drift away again, they'll become the new regulars for seasons to come.

And, even going back to the Man United fans- the same will apply. Someone like the first poster who occasionally tips up at Man Utd games when he can get tickets, but mostly watches on TV, will find he actually really gets into the proper game experience at the Amex, and will in time become an Albion convert. Now if we can start turning plastic Premier League fans into proper football supporters, I can't see anything but positives in that.

Our new stadium is not going to be like Stadium:MK, full of Premier League shirts and giant foam hands. Lose the snobbery and get ready to enjoy the experience. I for one will be over the moon to see us playing in front of 20,000 every week, wherever they've come from.

Post of the year so far?

Quality Edna, nailed on.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
The great majority of our new ST holders are going to be people who, if they were ever asked which football team they supported, would have said "Brighton". They may not have attended games for years, or only sporadically, but been unable to justify the cost of a ST on that basis. They might live further away, they might be among the great numbers who were turned off by the Gillingham experience, or the general pain-in-the-arse situation regarding getting tickets for Withdean. Twenty years ago, local people might have found themselves in town on a Saturday morning, realised they had nothing else to do, and popped down to the Albion for the afternoon. Withdean has made that, if not impossible, certainly a drag which lots of people might not be bothered with.

This is exactly what I mean, this is what winds me up about this JCL term, people like these, like me, get called JCL's when they have suported the club for 30 years, maybe more. Fantastic post Edna

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just wait until we get drawn to a 'big' club away in the cup superbez, you won't believe your eyes at the Superfandom taking place as people selfjustify why they should get a ticket!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
come on mate you jumped on me the other day for asking a simple question now you dont say shit !

HAHAHAHA Jesus christ!!!

So I don't respond to you for 7 (SEVEN) minutes because I'd found something slightly more important thing to do, and you post twice about it and send me a very mouthy PM. L.O.L.

I'd rather play in front of 18000 Brighton fans than 18000 Brighton fans + 3000 Man U supporting plastics.

trollface-1.png

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
HAHAHAHA Jesus christ!!!

So I don't respond to you for 7 (SEVEN) minutes because I'd found something slightly more important thing to do, and you post twice about it and send me a very mouthy PM. L.O.L.

I'd rather play in front of 18000 Brighton fans than 18000 Brighton fans + 3000 Man U supporting plastics.

trollface-1.png

Come on man you havn't replied for Seven minutes I'm going to have to send you an abuse filled PM if it reaches 10 HOW DARE you not respond to me near instantaneously regardless of whether you were on NSC or not?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just wait until we get drawn to a 'big' club away in the cup superbez, you won't believe your eyes at the Superfandom taking place as people selfjustify why they should get a ticket!

Will have your work cut out as NSC goes in to meltdown-

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I think a few people on here are vastly overestimating the number of new ST holders who have no previous connection with the club, imagining them all to be Hove based Man United or Arsenal fans who've never expressed the slightest interest in the Albion until this point. Sure, there will be a few, accept that.

We had a crowd of 19,000 the season Barry Lloyd got us promoted from this level: they weren't all JCLs. We had bigger crowds still in the sixties, seventies and early eighties. These people have always been here, they are just the Lost Generation who drifted away in the aftermath of years of decline and decay at the Albion. They looked out for our results. They kept buying the Argus to read the reports. They always considered themselves to be Albion fans, just ones of the armchair variety, and some of them turned up for bigger games- cup matches, the play offs and so on. Because someone hasn't been regularly for years doesn't mean they know nothing of the club. This is not a situation like Crawley's FA Cup game at Old Trafford this season, where 7,000 of the 10,000 who went had never ever seen Crawley play prior to that day.

Other clubs would kill to have 18,000 season ticket holders. Plymouth are trying everything under the sun to increase their attendances and raise revenue- do you think they're worried that some of them might not have been to Home Park for ten years? No chance. The chances are, as soon as the season starts, the new ST holders will really get into it, going to games will become an enjoyable habit, whatever the results on the pitch, and they'll rediscover what they've been missing for years. And they won't drift away again, they'll become the new regulars for seasons to come.

And, even going back to the Man United fans- the same will apply. Someone like the first poster who occasionally tips up at Man Utd games when he can get tickets, but mostly watches on TV, will find he actually really gets into the proper game experience at the Amex, and will in time become an Albion convert. Now if we can start turning plastic Premier League fans into proper football supporters, I can't see anything but positives in that.

Our new stadium is not going to be like Stadium:MK, full of Premier League shirts and giant foam hands. Lose the snobbery and get ready to enjoy the experience. I for one will be over the moon to see us playing in front of 20,000 every week, wherever they've come from.

This. Thread closed.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Come on man you havn't replied for Seven minutes I'm going to have to send you an abuse filled PM if it reaches 10 HOW DARE you not respond to me near instantaneously regardless of whether you were on NSC or not?
what have man u plastics got to do with it ?

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
you didnt reply for days after gobbing off mate so dont go getting all sarky

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How's it a good topic ? So you think that just the regulars from the withdean are the only ones worthy to attend matches at the Amex ? Would you enjoy the atmosphere at a half empty stadium ?
Fact is you lot are patronising and arrogant to people that are showing passion to the very team you claim to support
You find ONE post where I've said anything LIKE that, in fact if you'd bothered to read the thread rather than just adding your twopennyworth at the bottom you'll find I've said the complete opposite. Go on, read it again and then come back and apologise. Doubt you will though.

(Oh and I'm not a regular at Withdean, haven't been since Wilkins was sacked)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This x 1 million. You all act as if it's a private forum and anyone who dares to sign up or join in is a JCL. They no nothing compared to you 'super' fans, It's utter bollocks, tounge in cheek or not, grow up and stop living in the past. As already mentioned, a more welcoming, friendly response to new forum users should be the way forward.
Once again we're not talking about new users to NSC, we're talking about the bigger crowds at the Amex. Some of that increase will be lapsed/absent fans returning, some will be brand-new fans who've never followed a club before, some will be people who've had us as a second club, and some will be curious Premiership fans who wouldn't have set foot in Withdean but can now watch a decent standard of football locally.

Like new NSC users, all are welcome. The Albion is a business and it needs all the customers it can get.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
You find ONE post where I've said anything LIKE that, in fact if you'd bothered to read the thread rather than just adding your twopennyworth at the bottom you'll find I've said the complete opposite. Go on, read it again and then come back and apologise. Doubt you will though.

(Oh and I'm not a regular at Withdean, haven't been since Wilkins was sacked)
oh brovion im so sorry because i dont feel the "jcl" topic is a discussion worth having.
fact is new forum members are treated like they dont belong and dont deny it. ok so maybe its not you but its happening. one simple fact is that the club wants new supporters because we need them to put bums on seats & many on this forum our making them feel unwelcome

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Once again we're not talking about new users to NSC, we're talking about the bigger crowds at the Amex. Some of that increase will be lapsed/absent fans returning, some will be brand-new fans who've never followed a club before, some will be people who've had us as a second club, and some will be curious Premiership fans who wouldn't have set foot in Withdean but can now watch a decent standard of football locally.

Like new NSC users, all are welcome. The Albion is a business and it needs all the customers it can get.

right ..... i totally agree with that mate

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
oh brovion im so sorry because i dont feel the "jcl" topic is a discussion worth having.
fact is new forum members are treated like they dont belong and dont deny it. ok so maybe its not you but its happening. one simple fact is that the club wants new supporters because we need them to put bums on seats & many on this forum our making them feel unwelcome

I know this is dragging on but i agree with him 100% on this point, sorry sorry sorry

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hahahaha you don't qualify as a snob !! Maybe a nob

May I make a polite suggestion. Slagging posters on this board and calling people names is not going to assist you in putting your point across, or indeed endearing anyone to your case etc.

Does anyone else get the feeling that there are a few palace fans using new log ons for a wind up. Surely that Man Utd in Sussex one, has to be a wind up.

I am all for new fans... the lost generation of supporter etc. But just so any newbies can maybe just have a tiny amount of understanding, let me explain it like this.

Imagine you work in an office for 20 years doing the same role and become very expert and senior. You have put up with the years of shit, and increased workloads etc. Then along comes a spotty faced 17 year old out of college and works in the same office and ends up being paid the same as you do for the same job without the same seniority or responsibility. It's not a problem, you just carry on and get on with it, take the spotty youth under your wing. But then how would you feel down the pub at lunchtime if he starts taking the piss and rubbing your nose in the fact that he gets paid the same as you although you have been here 20 years.

This could be the shittest post ever, but that's kinda how it feels to some. People have endured the Shit and now the JCL's have come along to join in with the good times on the same salary. It's great , I genuinely do not think anyone gives a monkeys on here regardless of what they post. But for christ sake don't start giving people grief on here and rubbing people's noses in it. And this talk of wearing other shirts to the Amex will make many ( Myself included ) ******* IRATE.

Other than that. It's great for the club. Oh, and hurry up and learn all the songs. Drunken loud singing is mandatory at every game. Cough...ahem, just like the Withdean.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I'm a new NSC@er however having read some classics and much the same amount of drivel since 2003

The only real question i ask myself is why i did not continue when i 1st registered in 2005

I know i belong

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well if you're going to admit that I didn't say anything about only Withdean regulars being 'worthy to attend matches' and that I don't want to see a half-empty stadium then yes, I'll agree with you, sometimes NSC can be a bit cliquey and a bit unwelcoming and daunting to new users. But that IS different issue. You can be an STH at the Amex and never set a virtual foot inside NSC.

And you're quite entitled to think that the JCL discussions aren't worth having, that's a perfectly valid opinion. But I think the length of this thread shows that most would disagree!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Does anyone else get the feeling that there are a few palace fans using new log ons for a wind up. Surely that Man Utd in Sussex one, has to be a wind up
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perhaps a few double Brighton NSC agents as well? just to bring the rivalry up to speed of course

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here