Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Inner Circle

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
The "inner-circle" has always been open to any Albion fans who as wanted to help the club, be it through Bring Home the Albion, Falmer For All, Alive & Kicking whatever. It is an absolute myth it is a closed shop. There has always been an open-door policy and I am sure Dick, Martin and others would happily converse with any Albion fan they met in the street in the same way they do with the so-called "inner-circle".

Just as every Albion fan owes Dick a massive debt of gratitude for saving our club, so too do we to the likes of Liz Costa, Sarah Watts, Paul Samrah, John Baine, Bill & Jan Swallow, Paul Whelch, Tim Carder, Adrian Newnham, Lord B (and the many, many others) who have given a huge amount of their time, money and much more to help this football club achieve what it has in the last 12 years. So too the likes of Norman Cook, Billy Brown and other shareholders, who contributed to keeping the club afloat (1997-2005).

As an aside, having already had lengthy discussions with Tony Bloom, the club will continue to operate in a very open way with the fans. Obviously, in the same way as under Dick's watch, there will be things that can't be made public, but the supporters will continue to have a say in the running of this club.

With regard to the controlling-interest question. Yes, this ultimately goes against the promise made when Dick took over in 1997. But at the time, that was made in good faith, and probably without the foresight that an Albion fan would be able to make such grand gesture to the football club. And here we are not talking about somebody investing in the club to use it as a money making vehicle (like Manchester United and Liverpool).

The important thing is that Dick has given his blessing to Tony, along with the rest of the club's directors. On a personal note, I for one would be happier for the club to be taking this option than delaying the stadium because bank funding is not accessible due to the global credit crunch. When you look objectively, the huge sum being poured in is the next best thing to Tony simple giving the club the money as a gift, and no-one could expect him to do that.

The money Tony has already converted to shares (£18m) is an investment in the club, which of course he will only be able to get back what someone is willing to pay him for those share. The money going in the form of loans are interest-free (that in itself will save the club millions in interest payments) and, very importantly, unsecured. They are not repayable until 2023, but then only if the money is there to repay them.

In short, this secures the club's future, as it means we have a mortgage-free brand-new stadium on the way...

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Without the so called inner circle Falmer would not be happening.

Who held set up the Bring home the Albion campaign? Who spent hours delivering leaflets for the reforendum on Falmer? Who kept a check on what Archer and colleagues were getting up to? Who has made sure people write in support of every planning application? Who kept pressure up on local MPs?

I spoke to a mate last night and he said I feel I should be celebrating BUT........its how I feel. Yes its brilliant news that Bloom has stepped in and saved the Falmer project so all the hard work put in to get planning permision wasnt wasted. However we now have one person how controls 75% of our club and can do what he wants without consultation to anybody. Yes its probably harking back to Archer, but he was the last man with money to control our club.

I am looking forward to Falmer getting built, investment in the playing side etc, I am sure Bloom with the family connections to the history of the Albion will do the right thing. But I reserve the right to be a little hesitant about popping the Champage corks until I see how one man running our club works out. Call me a cynic, call me sceptical, call me what you want but all I want is to be able to know that the future of our club is in safe hands.

Some people seam unable to accept that people such as Liz Costa, Paul Samarah etc etc have been central to helping this club to survive. Yes times have now changed, but all this venom aimed at certain people is totally out of order. Just accept these people did what they saw as best for OUR football club.

Thanks for that Me R... can we consider this discussion concluded?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
For the club to go forward this had to happen. And the whole point of a football club is to move forward win more matches, atract more support and develop in the community.

Without this news yesterday we would not be doing that, and yet a number of people appear cheesed off that their close knit club is changing. Just all seems at odds at what is so clearly great great news.

I don't believe for one minute that they are upset about the funding etc> I think what pisses them off and to a certain extent me is that it would now appear (according to certain people on here) that DK is the spawn of the Devil, a lying two face git who has done nothing for this club and should slagged off and derided at every opportunity.

The one question I have now is …… can you be classed as a licker?:ohmy:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Oh, my mistake, I missed that bit.

In that case he's a bloody idiot for picking on Liz. Someone who devotes an unbelievable amount of time and effort to the club for pretty much no return is a saint in my opinion, and someone to be respected by all of us. There are others like that too - Paul Samrah, Tim Carder etc. Anyone slagging these guys off needs to have a f***ing good look at themselves.

The self-important twats on nsc are fair game though, and in the main not fit to lick the boots of Samrah, Costa et al:yahoo:

You can't say that ..... 'cause they're Lickers ... apparently

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Now paul is coming on here with finely thought arguements and comments.

What is this place coming to?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't know about anyone else, but my idea of a "licker" is someone who has no real impact or significance, but is full of self-importance with their "Dick said to me..." and "My sources tell me...." type posts. Someone who actually does something worthwhile and productive for the club (Insider has just listed them all), instead of talking themselves up on nsc, is not a licker. Just a bloody hero.

CB. Who are these people ? Who do you have in mind ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't know about anyone else, but my idea of a "licker" is someone who has no real impact or significance, but is full of self-importance with their "Dick said to me..." and "My sources tell me...." type posts. Someone who actually does something worthwhile and productive for the club (Insider has just listed them all), instead of talking themselves up on nsc, is not a licker. Just a bloody hero.

:thumbsup: Spot on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

It's interesting how we all have different opinions on what is a 'licker'.

I believe that to a few people on here it is anybody who doesn't join in with their continual sniping at Dick Knight, Perry or other Board members: DK in particular. It's only a handful of people but they tend to make more noise, for a longer period of time than the rest of us.

Maybe now they'll be quietening down...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's interesting how we all have different opinions on what is a 'licker'.

I believe that to a few people on here it is anybody who doesn't join in with their continual sniping at Dick Knight, Perry or other Board members: DK in particular. It's only a handful of people but they tend to make more noise, for a longer period of time than the rest of us.

Maybe now they'll be quietening down...

That seems to have become the accepted definition, I agree. Personally, I have no contact with anyone in the boardroom and don't know anyone at the club (and have never claimed to) but have been called a "licker" (which is a particularly stupid term in my mind) because I have stuck up for Dick Knight against what seems to me a ridiculous diatribe from some people on here.

To answer the original question, I am delighted that we have the funding for Falmer and am really grateful to Tony Bloom for loaning the money interest free. However, I am sad to see Dick Knight leave as he has been fantastic for the club and while 99% of me is excited about the future, the other 1% is unsure about what will happen as will often happen with a major change like this.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
That's pretty much my view. To sum up yesterday:

1 - Falmer funding secured - Brilliant.

2 - No massive interest payments to banks thus freeing up more cash - Brilliant.

3 - Losses for the remainder of our stay at Withdean underwritten - Brilliant.

4 - One man once again in control of the club - Well not brilliant obviously but probably inevitable given the way modern football is funded. We were never realistically going to be a community-owned club AND well-funded. And I doubt if we could have found a group of altrusitic but slightly-poorer millionaires to all work together all owning a smaller, non-controlling element of the club.

5 - Tony Bloom as chairman - Exactly as per Lord B's comments. It's his club not ours and he can run it as he sees fit. Is he up to it? We've already seen at Newcastle that success in 'normal' business does not mean success in football. If he was behind the Wilkins/Adams changeover last year then he's already got his first football decision wrong whereas Knight got his first one right. Time will tell if he becomes a Dick Knight or a Mike Ashley. Also what happens if his business empire DOES go tits-up and he needs to lay his hands on a few million quid?

Having said all that I AM pleased that what was threatening to become a bit posionous has now been sorted out, and the money we'll be saving on the interest alone allows Bloom the odd dodgy, non-Knight moment.

If he got his first football decision wrong, then he must have learnt from it as we now have Slade. I like the progression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here