Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Inner Circle

1) Not directed at you, you are far too pragmattic from what I can glean.

I referring more to others who have been perhaps a little too quick in criticising others who questioned the financial situation of the development
Thank you.

2) Secondly, perhaps more directed at you. There is a distinct lack of celebration about yesterdays development.

And to be honest I understand. Yesterday asked as many questions as it answered.
Indeed.

My concern isn't at all related to the funding side of things - although I think someone should be asking what might happen if Tony Bloom's business empire ever goes tits up.

If I have a concern, it's about the man's management style (which I have no knowledge of) and his lack of experience in holding together fragile things like a football club. We know nothing of this.

And we know nothing of how he will relate to the fans. An early marker might be whether or not he holds a fans' forum - and how he deals with the bread and butter issues that get raised at those events.

Dick Knight needed to court popularity - and mostly succeeded. Tony Bloom doesn't. Things may be very different in future.

When the time is right, I'll certainly celebrate. Meanwhile ... there are things to think about.

3) It seems like a sore point.
There's nothing sore that I can see.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There seems to me to be an implication in this that the "arrival" of Tony Bloom and his money must be a surprise to people who have been close to Dick Knight. And that they will be feeling "misled".

That's very far from the truth.

Really? Seeing as you posted this when someone said that Tony Bloom was gonna bail us out to £40m back in February:

This is a FACT ?

Where did that come from?
Give us some more FACTS of the same quality, please.

and then you posted this:
Quite right. I know very little about the Club's business plan and what I do know is only what was put into the public domain some years ago.

All I have said of any substance on this thread is:-

(1) the Club is under an obligation to satisfy the City Council's finance officers that it is safe for the Council to transfer control of the stadium site to the Club; and

(2) that this obligation is nothing to do with the Council having any doubts about the business plan.

Something doesn't quite ring true.

Oh, and your claims that your sources at the club are still impeccable - I'd dispute that too. You hedged your bets when I revealed, a full 2 weeks ago that Dick Knight had been ousted, and said that you had no inside information. Well, if you didn't have inside info then and your good chum, DK, is not running the club anymore then it would appear that you are right now even further from having "impeccable" contacts.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Really? Seeing as you posted this when someone said that Tony Bloom was gonna bail us out to £40m back in February:

Oh, and your claims that your sources at the club are still impeccable - I'd dispute that too. You hedged your bets when I revealed, a full 2 weeks ago that Dick Knight had been ousted, and said that you had no inside information. Well, if you didn't have inside info then and your good chum, DK, is not running the club anymore then it would appear that you are right now even further from having "impeccable" contacts.

Brilliant its getting like one of those John Grisham stories - all politics and subterfuge - I like all this. Go Buzzer go.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Great post Buzzer.

I just hope LB is no longer on DKs payroll and he doesn't give yet another character assassination of our new Chairman..(albeit, he has been far far less than complimentary this last few weeks) the likes as he did on Dean Wilkins, at the behest of Dick Knight.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have you gone mad, I don't always agree with LB (politically we have a Grand Canyon between us) however to suggest he was on the DK payroll is a bit rich

CC2

Nov 9, 2008

Top work Buzzer. You are just stating what a lot of people are thinking...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Have you gone mad, I don't always agree with LB (politically we have a Grand Canyon between us) however to suggest he was on the DK payroll is a bit rich

I'm not suggesting, merely inferring from LB's post about those close to DK that he was referring to people such as himself.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Maybe spin doctors are a voluntary role these days...?

Great post Buzzer.

I just hope LB is no longer on DKs payroll and he doesn't give yet another character assassination of our new Chairman..(albeit, he has been far far less than complimentary this last few weeks) the likes as he did on Dean Wilkins, at the behest of Dick Knight.
Good grief. Let's not start that spat again.

But - for what it's worth - I do know that the replacement of Wilkins by Adams was, at the time, fully supported by Tony Bloom.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
See the light please

The Dick Knight inner circle is presumably in tears at the moment?

Will this mean the club will now listen to all fans rather than just the likes of Liz Costa, Sarah Watts etc.

I can't help but feel the Knight clan will be feeling unhappy that the club is now forward which says a lot.

I am a DK Fan and why not? He always has/had the best interest of the club at heart and the club is in a better state than when he took over. And he is a passionate fan. He now has handed over to a more financial capable chairman who is also an avid supporter. Looks ok to me so far.............oh but i forgot.......certain sections of fans cannot forgive him for ousting Dean Wilkins and re-apointing Mickey Adams............The cad of a Chairman lost his gloss in some fans opinion [not mine] only to be revealed in the press that only Martin Perry was against dropping Wilkins.....so will them same fans turn against the whole board now or will they give Knight the credit he deserves and realise there was no better person to run the club. As for calling for his head when the club was fighting relegation ......well

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I am a DK Fan and why not? He always has/had the best interest of the club at heart and the club is in a better state than when he took over. And he is a passionate fan. He now has handed over to a more financial capable chairman who is also an avid supporter. Looks ok to me so far.............oh but i forgot.......certain sections of fans cannot forgive him for ousting Dean Wilkins and re-apointing Mickey Adams............The cad of a Chairman lost his gloss in some fans opinion [not mine] only to be revealed in the press that only Martin Perry was against dropping Wilkins.....so will them same fans turn against the whole board now or will they give Knight the credit he deserves and realise there was no better person to run the club. As for calling for his head when the club was fighting relegation ......well
Yes dick was passionate but without the financial clout we would have gone bust years ago.

In many ways knight was carried by bloom for many years and took all the credit:rolleyes:

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Yes dick was passionate but without the financial clout we would have gone bust years ago.

In many ways knight was carried by bloom for many years and took all the credit:rolleyes:

Agreed and Bloom was always going to Fund the club......he has made slightly more of a commitment than most of us thought he could. DK was still the right man to run the club and now fans must see that he was not the power mad ego-tripper some thought he was.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'll bite.

When I started the Bring Home the Albion campaign I had not even met Dick Knight. I think he was wary of me and Nick Rowe was despatched to find out what my motives were.

A few weeks later I met Dick and Martin Perry and since that time I have often spoken to them at club functions or campaign events.

Having seen at close quarters the hard work, effort and attention to detail he puts into the football club you cannot fail to be absorbed by him. Have I always agreed with him? No, but I did and do trust him to have the right motives.

He always said that when the right investor who could guarantee the future of the club came along, he would stand aside. The fact he has, gives me hope that Tony Bloom can be trusted.

I wrote a month or or so ago that I felt he should step down as the amount of briefing against him this season had become ridiculous. I dont blame Tony or Ray Bloom for that, but some close to the Blooms had a tendency of play bertie big bollocks in pubs and clubs and will need to curb that now they have power.

Yes I am sad to see him go before the stadium opens - but to get one, it seems we need the other. So be it.

For those who think that now Knight's gone then Wilkins would be back need to bear in mind that the only people who were shareholders that I ever heard criticise Wilkins publicly were the Blooms. It seems only Martin Perry spoke out against ousting Wilkins. maybe Ernest is wrong and he's not a lapdog?

Bloom has been on board (if not on the board) for at least 3 years. I suspect he had agreed to underwrite the stadium project for much of that time. I also suspect that even though banks were interested, the actual terms available were not to his or the clubs liking so he has now formalised his position as stadium funder. He clearly now feels the time is right to take public control of not just the stadium but the football club too.

As Clapham says - today is the day we become another club.

But back to Knight. His (as with many people) strengths were his weaknesses. he was single minded, passionate and beligerent. That in the balance of things was what we needed to get here today and still have a club.

I can honestly say that I am proud to have had the opportunity to work with Dick Knight who in my opinion has been an Albion legend.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well I read it again then. I'm being a realist. I just reinterating the point that what everyone was fighting was to be become a normal club.

I can understand how so this seems a little hollow.

I'm not mystic meg, but I predicted this years ago. It was always on the cards that the victory (to a certain extent) would be snatched from the hands of those who fought so long to get here.

Yesterday was the moment we become another run of the mill club.

The point I`m trying miserably to make is that the victory has not been snatched from anyones grasp. We all have hold of it but now we have a much much firmer grasp.
and Brighton and hove Albion will never be a run of the mill club to me Clapham

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well I guess some could view it as a partnership made in hell, but in retrospect I think it will be viewed as a partnership made in heaven.

It's probably very hard for people to see that anything can compare with the financial clout of Tony Bloom.

Well, I can see it very clearly.

Keeping the club in the public eye at a national level (yes a national level) and motivating the fans in the fight for the stadium can not be underestimated.

It was a remarkabe achievement, unprecendented.

As ROSM, we needed people like Dick Knight, Paul, Ed etc.. to see that through.

Southampton down the road, have had to cancel a celebrity game due to lack of interest. Meanwhile down at the Albion, I was somehow motivated to sneak out of work one afternoon and deliver flowers in a wheelbarrow to John Prescott and somehow motivated to seemingly piss off half of Wycombe by taken over their ground one evening.

Some of the things I didn't quite agree with and felt at certain times it got a bit nasty.

But it worked, we got planning permission and whatever people say planning on that scale is a political decision and the people organising all of that quite obviously got the politics right.

Without that, there wouldn't have been a stadium for Tony Bloom to pay for.

So thank you Tony Bloom, but thank you everyone else.

I really hope this spirit continues. I look forward to complaints about the forks at falmer.

What doesn't ring true, Buzzer, is your suggestion that I have frequent contact with people at the club. I don't.

And when I do have conversations, I tend not to come rushing on to NSC claiming to know something. I will, however, sometimes use such information as I have to counter what I see as misinformation being put out by other people. I don't take all information as gospel, though. As ROSM has suggested, there are folk out there who will brief mischievously.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I have no source, apart from NSC, and the information from here is invaluable for me.

But i dont care im not in the loop.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As I posted last week in regard to the release of players etc. This club has for a number of years been run like an old boys club or like your typical committee run football/cricket club. Basically not very professional. This so called inner circle or arse lickers call them what you like but they have been an integral part of the scene. Knight did not stop them as they offered him support when he needed it and also took flak away from him when shit & bullets were flying.

They helped in pushing awareness over the stadium and doing the ground donkey work. As far as I'm aware no other football club has seen this type of help from its supporters. I do feel though in the last few years the general perception of these people in regard to the normal supporters has been one of waning interest and apathy to the super supporter. I always have a vision in my head of these types as "village fate organisers", extremely pleased with themselves and wanting their pictures with the Mayor taken by the local press, so they put them in their little scrap book. The club with its genial little set up, pampered somewhat to this.

Brighton has always been a friendly run club, apart from the dark years, and most people felt able to freely talk to the likes of late and great Ron Pavey however times are a changing. Clubs now need a profession business approach and this is what is beginning to happen. Slade has made it clear that many things need to change on the playing side, more on the infrastructure side than on the pitch.

With Bloom he appears to me to be a relatively quiet man who will not seek attention, allow the day to day business to be run by the Chief Executive and his/her staff. Some have mentioned that the Chairman's role is high profile,why? Going back a few years you never heard the likes of Liverpool's, Arsenal's, Man Utd's chairmen on telly. Its only since the high profile takeovers by egotistical billionaires that the boardrooms have become paper talk. You never heard Bamber and alike on a daily basis so why should you hear Bloom. Knight was different, high profile and he needed a message put out.

In the future I believe the club will become more secretive, business like, professional and the inner circle will be disbanded. The club will retain its friend exterior, a community club approach but will not need to have this circle surrounding it. Well I hope anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here