NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

220px-Circular_Intersection_sign.svg.png

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm pretty sure that not turning up for work breaches most contracts of employment, no?

Depends on what is in his contract regarding paternity leave. Statutory is 2 weeks, but we may well have agreed a longer period with him. Equally he may have a clause allowing him longer in teh summer to start with, to allow for the fact that he would be retaining a base back in Spain. For all we know he may well be training in Spain, in line with a training regime we have issued to him, and therefore he is continuing to be in Spain with our blessing.

In general, I wouldn't particularly try comparing footballers contracts with the contracts of employment of the rest of us. It's not just the money that's very different.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I do know (club contact at high-level)... TBH, I don't care whether you believe me or not... another fact that you are choosing to ignore is the most obvious one... Vicente signed a contract with an option for the club (not Poyet) to extend to 2 years... the club have exercised the option... he is therefore under contract, and in breach... in other words, you are spouting bollox...

There is a contract, don't think anyone is disagreeing, but what you seem to continually dismiss is the fact there was a very public statement by the club in the form of the team manager, ie Gus, that the club would allow Vicente to make the decision. A statement they have now gone back on. Unless Gus is now going to say that he never said that and is able to destroy all notes, recordings etc made by journalists at whatever press conference it was said, then any court in the land is going to take that statement into account. It might not be a deciding factor but it would be taken into account. It is not like two people arguing over what was said in a private meeting where it becomes one word against another, it is a very public statement which has never been refuted by Gus nor the club.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
There is a contract, don't think anyone is disagreeing, but what you seem to continually dismiss is the fact there was a very public statement by the club in the form of the team manager, ie Gus, that the club would allow Vicente to make the decision. A statement they have now gone back on. Unless Gus is now going to say that he never said that and is able to destroy all notes, recordings etc made by journalists at whatever press conference it was said, then any court in the land is going to take that statement into account. It might not be a deciding factor but it would be taken into account. It is not like two people arguing over what was said in a private meeting where it becomes one word against another, it is a very public statement which has never been refuted by Gus nor the club.
No

Sorry - can't agree with you...Vicente SIGNED a legal contract saying that he would sign for a season and that if he proved his fitness he would activate a second season of a contact. He and the club went public on this and he was happy to sit on the treatment table and pick up a decent wage from us. I think he OWES us another season otherwise he would be languishing in some shitty reserve team.

Poyet is not in charge of contract negotiations and so he was wrong to make the statement he did.

The club should enforce the contract and insist that Vicente either sees it out or finds another mug of a club who are willing to spend money on getting him to see the best doctors in Europe and who are going to pay a transfer fee.

Disrespectful is not the word!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Depends on what is in his contract regarding paternity leave. Statutory is 2 weeks, but we may well have agreed a longer period with him. Equally he may have a clause allowing him longer in teh summer to start with, to allow for the fact that he would be retaining a base back in Spain. For all we know he may well be training in Spain, in line with a training regime we have issued to him, and therefore he is continuing to be in Spain with our blessing.

In general, I wouldn't particularly try comparing footballers contracts with the contracts of employment of the rest of us. It's not just the money that's very different.

OK, so despite Gus expecting him back for training this week (allowing him an extra week BTW), and the Agent unilaterally declaring Vicente wouldn't come back until the contract differences were resolved (both quoted in press), you still think there is a chance the club are happy for the mighty and angelic Vicente to remain in Spain? Really? Logic failure!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

So fookin what... they were negotiating, we know that, there hadn't been an agreement.... club did what was best for them.... stop bleating about what he said.... I said I wanted to shag Kylie.... doesn't mean it has to happen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

No, I have repeatedly said Gus made a mistake with the statement in the press you refer to... however, due to the written and legally-binding contract between the player and the club (not Gus), there is no court in the land that would allow the press statement to supersede the contract and side with Vicente an his agent...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
OK, so despite Gus expecting him back for training this week (allowing him an extra week BTW), and the Agent unilaterally declaring Vicente wouldn't come back until the contract differences were resolved (both quoted in press), you still think there is a chance the club are happy for the mighty and angelic Vicente to remain in Spain? Really? Logic failure!

I'm saying that this thread is absolutely littered with people jumping to conclusion based on very little known facts.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, I have repeatedly said Gus made a mistake with the statement in the press you refer to... however, due to the written and legally-binding contract between the player and the club (not Gus), there is no court in the land that would allow the press statement to supersede the contract and side with Vicente an his agent...

So you're saying that Gus took it on his own head to make that statement and this is totally contrary to the clubs position with regard to the option and would suggest that he wasn't party to any discussions with regard to getting Vicente in the squad for 2012/13.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Ability or freedom to withdraw their labour yes, RIGHT to withdraw it no.

I'll say it again everybody has the right to withdraw their labour,however if you want to keep your job its not always advisable

Anyone can withdraw their labour, but there are consequences of doing so... for example, not getting paid... back to the world of football, our club are entitled to protect their assets and, believe it or not, Vicente is one of them... this is why transfer fees exists, and we can value him at what other transfer fee we like... it is up to the prospective buying club to match the fee we want, whether that is 10p or £10M... if the agreement of the required fee isn't forthcoming, then the player should not be even talking to the other club...

I wasn't being specific to this instance. As far as I'm concerned Vicente is on strike in order to win his release from a contract. The Albion should just refuse to co-operate & let him waste one of the last few years of his career.If he decides to return all well and good , lets get the best out of him for the season... then thanks and goodbye.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So you're saying that Gus took it on his own head to make that statement and this is totally contrary to the clubs position with regard to the option and would suggest that he wasn't party to any discussions with regard to getting Vicente in the squad for 2012/13.

I'm saying he shouldn't have spouted off in the press re the option at the end of last season... the club was always going to protect its interests if it came to it... Gus made a mistake... no biggie... he is human after all (although some on here seem to think he and Vicente are both deities! :D)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here