Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Great Albion Midfield Rebuild - Summer ‘24 edition

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Perhaps the job of a really top manager involves finding square holes..........
Perhaps the job of a chairman is backing his new managerial appointments and digging round holes for them?

Poyet - Goodbye to the legend that is Murray.
Hughton - Goodbye to the legend that was Harley.
Potter - Goodbye to the legend of Knockaert.
De Zerbi - Goodbye to the legend of Trossard

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Think you'll probably change your mind when we repeatedly get overrun in midfield by much stronger physical players
Equally. You’ll probably change your mind when we don’t.

The squad is looking strong IMO. No panic here.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Perhaps the job of a chairman is backing his new managerial appointments and digging round holes for them?

Poyet - Goodbye to the legend that is Murray.
Hughton - Goodbye to the legend that was Harley.
Potter - Goodbye to the legend of Knockaert.
De Zerbi - Goodbye to the legend of Trossard
Trossard? Legend? Not even close. :ROFLMAO:

Harley on the other hand..... ???

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Think you'll probably change your mind when we repeatedly get overrun in midfield by much stronger physical players
VERY important on NSC to be tall and strong, or midfield will be destroyed by everyone putting some 190 cm players there.
In reality we did fine with Caicedo and Alexis who are both shorter than 180 cm and without Igor-looking bodies. NSC obsession with big players has nothing to do with how football is played in 2024.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Trossard? Legend? Not even close. :ROFLMAO:

Harley on the other hand..... ???
A few jokes in there but the correct comparison is Murray.

Tony would have well and truly taken off his ‘fan hat’ off and secured his ‘chairman hat’ as he told Poyet he could have his way with binning him off.
What an astonishing mistake Poyet made that ended up putting Palace into a position to get promoted and stunted our growth for a few years.

Will the same thing happen with Gilmour? Highly unlikely.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK. Some fine players in there. But do you take the point that none of those were able to help us that season. They were all ones for the future. So the notion that we will spend in January to get us through the rest of the season is unlikely.

The time we most needed a player was this January, where we had a crippling injury list, players with international commitments and a one off chance to go to the latter stages in Europe. We still didn’t boost our squad (for a variety of reasons which I understand).

The point I’m making is that we need to get the players we need for the season this summer. I still think we’re one short in midfield. To me it seems we have a big liability on Weiffer and or Baleba being injured
Ulloa certainly helped us in the 12/13 season after being signed. Knockaert didn't make that list either, and pretty sure he helped us in the 15/16 season -- oh what a season that was: we deserved so much, gave so much, but ultimately couldn't quite get over the line.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
@Gabbiano @Han Solo

So one of the potential successors to Gross is leaving and Gilmour could well be as well. Still confident that we don’t need a signing with a Gross type profile?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
@Gabbiano @Han Solo

So one of the potential successors to Gross is leaving and Gilmour could well be as well. Still confident that we don’t need a signing with a Gross type profile?
If Facundo leaves as well, I believe we aren't going to play with a 10, sticking with a 3-4-3.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
If Facundo leaves as well, I believe we aren't going to play with a 10, sticking with a 3-4-3.
Is one of the central 4 in that system operating as an 8 though? Gross did it often enough and Buononatte might work there.

I guess Enciso or Pedro could work there from a final third point of view but they both have question marks in other elements of the role. Not to mention the fact I don’t think they’d enjoy having to be that deep.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
VERY important on NSC to be tall and strong, or midfield will be destroyed by everyone putting some 190 cm players there.
In reality we did fine with Caicedo and Alexis who are both shorter than 180 cm and without Igor-looking bodies. NSC obsession with big players has nothing to do with how football is played in 2024.
Well - We’ve just signed a 6ft 2 midfielder!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It is probably worth considering, when judging last summers business, that we also signed players with European experience which isn't something the algorithm has had to work with before.

At least we don't have that problem this summer.
FWIW Minteh played and scored in the Champions League last season and Wieffer played in the Europa League.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
@Gabbiano @Han Solo

If Buonanotte goes on loan, we need someone else, yes. In that case we're light on numbers for an attacking midfielder, I've no problem to admit that.

Hopefully Gomez is coming now, rather than January.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If Buonanotte goes on loan, we need someone else, yes. In that case we're light on numbers for an attacking midfielder, I've no problem to admit that.

Hopefully Gomez is coming now, rather than January.
Posted on the Buonanotte thread but I suspect we are looking at another CAM. Facu has not filled MacAllister’s boots in a CAM (nor has Gilmour in a deeper CMF) - part of the reason we lacked goals last season. MacAllister was not a great goal scorer in open play but he did drive forward our attacking play in MF that serviced the strikers/created chances for others to play the assist or score directly. We have been lacking that edge since he moved. I thought (still think ) Buonanotte will get there but maybe FH thinks (looking at his performance last season) that his progress is taking longer than we need for that vital position at the moment.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've been posting all day, we one short in midfield

We're now two short.

Bit of pressure now to get some deals done

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Posted on the Buonanotte thread but I suspect we are looking at another CAM. Facu has not filled MacAllister’s boots in a CAM (nor has Gilmour in a deeper CMF) - part of the reason we lacked goals last season. MacAllister was not a great goal scorer in open play but he did drive forward our attacking play in MF that serviced the strikers/created chances for others to play the assist or score directly. We have been lacking that edge since he moved. I thought (still think ) Buonanotte will get there but maybe FH thinks (looking at his performance last season) that his progress is taking longer than we need for that vital position at the moment.
I think Facu is a player that needs to mature physically and he’ll only do that by playing every week.
I just don’t see that he’ll do that if he stays. So makes sense to have a development loan.
The buy option I think is a red herring. Yes, it may be there, but the reality is that it isn’t a feasible option due to the amount and the potential of a buy back.
Let’s face it a Loan to Feyenord didn’t do Minteh any harm!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
FWIW Minteh played and scored in the Champions League last season and Wieffer played in the Europa League.
I know that, but i think it's an added bonus. After all, Elvis Manu had European experience too. What i mean is the weighting of it isn't as high now. Last year it would have been a much more important attribute for the recruitment team.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think Facu is a player that needs to mature physically and he’ll only do that by playing every week.
I just don’t see that he’ll do that if he stays. So makes sense to have a development loan.
The buy option I think is a red herring. Yes, it may be there, but the reality is that it isn’t a feasible option due to the amount and the potential of a buy back.
Let’s face it a Loan to Feyenord didn’t do Minteh any harm!
I still think Buonanotte not starting every week under RDZ , was in part a personality clash (in training and on the pitch) rather than him not being capable. It was also bad timing that just as Buonanotte started getting into the swing of the #10, Ferguson was ill for months and not turning up even when he did - which really didn’t help with our central attacking area. We used Facu nearly the whole of his first half season in 2022/23 out of position because it suited us. We then had him start week after week in 2023/24 in the CAM because of injuries and European fixtures, then he was sidelined again. That said, he improved exponentially in the first half of last season and had bulked out considerably - after that it all went to shlt anyway.

I worry rather with sending young players out on loan after they have already played for the first team for several seasons - it can do funny things to their head and there is a risk they regress down to a lower level than maintain and improve on their existing level. I suspect that it’s much harder to come back from a loan to rejoin the first team under those circumstances that go straight out on loan in the first instance and then join the first team.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Can we draw a line under this midfield debate now. Really excited about our signings this summer, and a good pre season so far.
I like the attitude and enthusiasm from the team from what been shown so far.
Fab , team, performance etc.
Critical review for me will be 1 November .
UTA

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Our midfield is moder, hinch, baleba, wieffer, Milner, ayari, Moran. + Gomez in jan. We are an attack minded centre mid short that’s it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here