Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Great Albion Midfield Rebuild - Summer ‘24 edition

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So out of that lot, I think I might be right in saying that the only player we have actually bought in January who has gone straight to the first team squad and played a reasonable number of games that season is Mooy. But we had him anyway. Oh and Locadia ... he played some games, to limited effect

So I think the point you're making, is that we've never made a permanent signing of a new player in January which has impacted the first team that season, since we've been in the top league?

So it follows from that, if we're struggling for form, or have an injury crisis, we can't rely on the January window to help us out for the next 6 months. It follows from that, we need to stack our squad now
No. My point is that TigerTim says we won't sign players in January and that's just a myth. We bought MacAlister, Ulloa, Caicedo, Lamptey, Mooy, Moder and Mitoma in January along with others.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
The thing about having a bunch of young, talented players, is you actually have to trust them to play so that they get better.

I said on another thread, but I really don’t think we should sign Gruda - we need to give those minutes to Enciso, Buonanotte, Hinshelwood, and maybe Sarmiento.

What we really do need is a quality right-back. Sign one and then Hinshelwood can compete for a CM spot.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Time to give over on Gilmour. He’ll be a Napoli player by this time next week. Enough credible sources have backed this story up.
I've heard credible sources say they made a bid that was turned down, and I've heard fecking Paul Barber himself saying they don't want to sell Billy, which is a rare statement.

Very little indicates to me that Billy will be joining Napoli. All I see is agents pushing the lukewarm interest of Napoli in order to fatten up a new contract. If they wanted him, they would have paid more, if we wanted the sale, we wouldn't put Barber in front of a camera being transparent both about the bid and our wish to keep him - any serious negotiation would happen behind locked doors.

I'm 83% certain Billy will be around for the next season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The thing about having a bunch of young, talented players, is you actually have to trust them to play so that they get better.

I said on another thread, but I really don’t think we should sign Gruda - we need to give those minutes to Enciso, Buonanotte, Hinshelwood, and maybe Sarmiento.

What we really do need is a quality right-back. Sign one and then Hinshelwood can compete for a CM spot.
Suspect Fergi is our number one target for this very reason. It's an ambitious one but his signing makes so much sense.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No. My point is that TigerTim says we won't sign players in January and that's just a myth. We bought MacAlister, Ulloa, Caicedo, Lamptey, Mooy, Moder and Mitoma in January along with others.
OK. Some fine players in there. But do you take the point that none of those were able to help us that season. They were all ones for the future. So the notion that we will spend in January to get us through the rest of the season is unlikely.

The time we most needed a player was this January, where we had a crippling injury list, players with international commitments and a one off chance to go to the latter stages in Europe. We still didn’t boost our squad (for a variety of reasons which I understand).

The point I’m making is that we need to get the players we need for the season this summer. I still think we’re one short in midfield. To me it seems we have a big liability on Weiffer and or Baleba being injured

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
OK. Some fine players in there. But do you take the point that none of those were able to help us that season. They were all ones for the future. So the notion that we will spend in January to get us through the rest of the season is unlikely.

The time we most needed a player was this January, where we had a crippling injury list, players with international commitments and a one off chance to go to the latter stages in Europe. We still didn’t boost our squad (for a variety of reasons which I understand).

The point I’m making is that we need to get the players we need for the season this summer. I still think we’re one short in midfield. To me it seems we have a big liability on Weiffer and or Baleba being injured
Also worth noting that MacAlister, Caicedo, and Mitoma were all signed in the off-season from their clubs at the time. For those leagues and parts of the world we're always going to see January transfers because it is easier to buy players after the season is over. Same for Barco, Facu, Ayari, Ferguson and O'Mahony.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I've heard credible sources say they made a bid that was turned down, and I've heard fecking Paul Barber himself saying they don't want to sell Billy, which is a rare statement.

Very little indicates to me that Billy will be joining Napoli. All I see is agents pushing the lukewarm interest of Napoli in order to fatten up a new contract. If they wanted him, they would have paid more, if we wanted the sale, we wouldn't put Barber in front of a camera being transparent both about the bid and our wish to keep him - any serious negotiation would happen behind locked doors.

I'm 83% certain Billy will be around for the next season.

They just like to put across the idea that we don't want/need to sell to encourage bigger bids. Only recently we were told that we weren't expecting to sell Groß!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Also worth noting that MacAlister, Caicedo, and Mitoma were all signed in the off-season from their clubs at the time. For those leagues and parts of the world we're always going to see January transfers because it is easier to buy players after the season is over. Same for Barco, Facu, Ayari, Ferguson and O'Mahony.
Well yes

And I suppose the special thing about a January transfer window signing, is that they can cover a position where you have loads of injuries from xmas or give a tiring squad a boost.

But if you only sign players in January, who you are sending straight back out on loan or putting in the u23s, not to feature for 6, 12, or 18 months, then there is no significance to them being a Jnauary signing, we could have signed them at any time. So a list of the 3 or so a year we sign in January is meaningless in that way.

I've got no issue with us working like this. I'm just aware that we were running at between 5 and 10 injured players at any one point last season and we have to assume we likely will again.

If you are thinking about whether we have enough players to get through the season, a useful thought experiment is to look at the list of the whole squad, then at random cross out 10 of the names, then pick a matchday squad from whatever is remaining. If it still looks competitive you have enough. I'm not sure we do

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What we don't want to do is what we did last season:

'Shall we sign a right back?' - 'Nah, Gross and Milner can play there'
'Shall we sign a midfield pivot?' - 'Nah. Gross and Milner can play there'
'Shall we sign a back up right winger given Solly's out all season?' - 'Nah, Adingra, Gross and Bounanotte can play there'
'Shall we sign a left winger give Mitoma's out all year?' - 'Nah, Adingra Fati and Gross can play there'

We need an additional midfielder OR a right back at absolute minimum and we need to be able to replace like for like when we get injuries.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
They just like to put across the idea that we don't want/need to sell to encourage bigger bids. Only recently we were told that we weren't expecting to sell Groß!

I mean that was a month ago. At this point it could have seemed like Gross might stay. A month in a transfer window is a long time for developments to happen.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
What we don't want to do is what we did last season:

'Shall we sign a right back?' - 'Nah, Gross and Milner can play there'
'Shall we sign a midfield pivot?' - 'Nah. Gross and Milner can play there'
'Shall we sign a back up right winger given Solly's out all season?' - 'Nah, Adingra, Gross and Bounanotte can play there'
'Shall we sign a left winger give Mitoma's out all year?' - 'Nah, Adingra Fati and Gross can play there'

We need an additional midfielder OR a right back at absolute minimum and we need to be able to replace like for like when we get injuries.
Probably a first on world football in that case.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Yep, I've noticed a lot of clubs filling their 25 man squads with 15 strikers, 2 keepers and 8 left backs.
"Replace like for like" surely means that the injured player should be replaced by a player of the same quality, no?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
"Replace like for like" surely means that the injured player should be replaced by a player of the same quality, no?
I meant same type of position. Obviously what you've described doesn't happen. What I don't mean is someone 'filling in'. Just because you CAN play somewhere doesn't mean you should. See Milner, J.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I meant same type of position. Obviously what you've described doesn't happen. What I don't mean is someone 'filling in'. Just because you CAN play somewhere doesn't mean you should. See Milner, J.
Happens in the best of teams. Rodri had to play CB for City, Ben White has been RB for Arsenal etc. Its a part of football because teams can't have three players for each role.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Happens in the best of teams. Rodri had to play CB for City, Ben White has been RB for Arsenal etc. Its a part of football because teams can't have three players for each role.
White played RB for us and Leeds at times. At Arsenal he and Tomiyasu are the interchangeable right backs, no one thinks of White as a CB at Arsenal.

Rodri can only play effectively at centre back if you can replace him in midfield (and you can't, he's Rodri).

Gross could play anywhere but was a lot more effective in the pocket than at left back.

We scored fewer goals last season when we had one fit winger in the whole squad than when we had four.

etc etc etc.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here