Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Great Albion Midfield Rebuild - Summer ‘24 edition

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Really thought we'd address that this window. Lamptey unlikely to be fit all season, Veltman is 32 and we no longer have Groß to cover.
I think Veltman and Barco are both terrific

But yes, what's the plan if either of them go down? I admit I was alarmed by the Baleba left back experiment.

I see why we're after the Turkish lad

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As it stands,

- Gross gone
- Gilmour could be gone
- Buononatte could be gone
- Moder not in FH’s plans
- Dahoud not in FH’s plans
- Yalcouyle FH is uncertain on
- Milner in reality not good enough to be a starter in a top 10 push
- Ayari in reality not good enough to be a starter in a top 10 push
- Baleba being tried as a defender

Leaves Wieffer and Hinshelwood.

Surely we’ll be signing a midfielder - likely a box-to-box 8 type or someone very versatile through the middle.
Latest is that Buonanotte will be staying (I think he could well play in CM under FH). I also think that Enciso might play there too. The CMs (and, if he plays as he did at SP, the middle-CB/DCM hybrid role) are used very differently to how the two CMs were used under RDZ.
That said, I think you're right, and that we'll be signing one and possibly two further CMs.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Midfield still absolutely flooded with players to the point where any position we've lacked players for in pre-season (CB, RB, LB) has been covered by central midfielders playing out of position.

Ship out the deadwood (Moder, Dahoud) and loan out one of Ayari/Moran/Yalcouye, and midfield looks good. Hopefully another LCB and RB will arrive, freeing up Baleba and Hinshelwood to play almost entirely (aside from the odd emergency) in central midfield.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, and he looked well off the pace on Saturday - yes, I know, first game for him blah blah, but we're two weeks away from first league game.
Looks like we're in advanced talks to sign Matt O Riley and he started for Celtic yesterday.

A midfield of O Riley, Wieffer, Baleba, Hinshelwood, Ayari and Milner ?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, and he looked well off the pace on Saturday - yes, I know, first game for him blah blah, but we're two weeks away from first league game.
He’s clearly not fit. I think he’s going to be quality - him and Minteh look like top signings for us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If it stays as it is there is a hell of a lot of pressure on Wieffer being top quality.
It won't stay as it is , and there's a lot of pressure because he's a young £25m Champions League, Dutch international who had an outstanding season last year .

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Midfield still absolutely flooded with players to the point where any position we've lacked players for in pre-season (CB, RB, LB) has been covered by central midfielders playing out of position.

Ship out the deadwood (Moder, Dahoud) and loan out one of Ayari/Moran/Yalcouye, and midfield looks good. Hopefully another LCB and RB will arrive, freeing up Baleba and Hinshelwood to play almost entirely (aside from the odd emergency) in central midfield.
hmmm im not convinced we are flooded with quality in CM. If you take away those that have left and those that are supposedly leaving that leaves us with the following in the central position which looks pretty weak:

Milner
Baleba
Hinselwood
Wieffer
Moran

Leaving/Left

Gross (Gone)
Billy G (Going)
Dahoud (Supposedly Going)
Moder (Supposedly Going)
Ayayri (Possible Loan)
Yalcouye (Possible Loan)

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
hmmm im not convinced we are flooded with quality in CM. If you take away those that have left and those that are supposedly leaving that leaves us with the following in the central position which looks pretty weak:

Milner
Baleba
Hinselwood
Wieffer
Moran

Leaving/Left

Gross (Gone)
Billy G (Going)
Dahoud (Supposedly Going)
Moder (Supposedly Going)
Ayayri (Possible Loan)
Yalcouye (Possible Loan)
Yes you're right, if EVERY single player rumoured to MAYBE leave, we only have 5 players fighting for probably 2 roles...

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Opinion away - interested in Why ?
It’s hardly the most unlikely signing of the summer. We’ve been tracking him for years, we’re talking to Celtic and Sky are reporting it.
Ok. How long were we tracking the guy fom Leicester? Did he sign? How long were we tracking the Ajax player that went to West Ham? See a pattern here? I would love it if he signs. Its the hope that kills you

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ok. How long were we tracking the guy fom Leicester? Did he sign? How long were we tracking the Ajax player that went to West Ham? See a pattern here? I would love it if he signs. Its the hope that kills you
Gotcha and i was gutted about KDH and to a certain extent Kudus. You can't land them all. But then we've also tracked loads of other players in recent years - often wanted by others. And signed them. Verbruggen, Wieffer, Minteh and so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here