Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep, there's only one reason why Gove turned up at Channel 4 last night knowing he wouldn't be let in.

Meanwhile

[tweet]1200332812924129280[/tweet]

Listen..... the Tories are the only party that preserve the Union, aren't they?

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
BBC caving to pressure over impartiality?

BBC refuses to allow Boris Johnson on Andrew Marr show unless he agrees to Andrew Neil grilling

The BBC has refused to allow Boris Johnson to appear on its Andrew Marr programme unless he also agrees to be grilled by Andrew Neil.

No 10 had attempted to defuse the growing controversy over the prime minister’s refusal to appear before the BBC’s most-aggressive interviewer by offering to appear on the rival show, on Sunday morning.

But a BBC spokesperson told The Independent: “The BBC has refused the Conservatives offer to put the prime minister on the Andrew Marr programme until he agrees a date for Andrew Neil.”

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm amazed that whoever is advising the politicians thinks that a threat towards a national news broadcaster is a good idea.

One thing to clear about journalists ( whatever their political persuasion) is they will come together as in the face of threat like that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There's a quote from Hunter S Thompson on the US Campaign Trail that I could look up if I could be arsed that says words to the effect that if the candidate is ten percent ahead in the polls then it makes perfect sense to hunker down, keep public appearances to a minimum and say nothing more controversial than 'God Bless America'. Same applies here. Last thing Boris wants to be doing is be mauled by Andrew Neil (again) or waffle on unconvincingly about climate change, a subject he clearly doesn't know or give a shit about. Cummings knows his stuff and knows his candidate.

that part, avoiding the interview and debate, makes sense. its making a fuss about it afterwards that doesnt. sending in Gove and Dad is daft enough, complaining and threatening a broadcaster, when you were a no show, does the opposite of hunkering down.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There was a theory voiced by someone (I forget who) on Politics Live earlier in the week that fake news is a very deliberate tactic to keep certain issues in the headlines. The example they used was the way that new nurses was announced - the country at large now knows that the Tories will increase nursing numbers but the figures are open to debate, therefore keeping the key point (increases) in the news. As this was discussed for 10 minutes on QT last night, I would say that as a tactic it is working.

All parties do it although if you believed people on here it's exclusive to the Tories. For instance, Labour had a terrible day on Tuesday so they needed a story to change the news cycle ... Early press conference Wednesday with a supposed smoking gun showing Tories intent on selling off the NHS which turned out to be a water pistol .. it was ever thus.

Days-to-save-the-NHS.png

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
that part, avoiding the interview and debate, makes sense. its making a fuss about it afterwards that doesnt. sending in Gove and Dad is daft enough, complaining and threatening a broadcaster, when you were a no show, does the opposite of hunkering down.
Sendingg Gove and Johnson Sr. in, knowing they would be turned away, allows it to be turned around so that they can look like the victim. As somebody stated on Twitter (can't remember who) it's the sort of tactic employed to some success by Tommy Robinson.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There's a quote from Hunter S Thompson on the US Campaign Trail that I could look up if I could be arsed that says words to the effect that if the candidate is ten percent ahead in the polls then it makes perfect sense to hunker down, keep public appearances to a minimum and say nothing more controversial than 'God Bless America'. Same applies here. Last thing Boris wants to be doing is be mauled by Andrew Neil (again) or waffle on unconvincingly about climate change, a subject he clearly doesn't know or give a shit about. Cummings knows his stuff and knows his candidate.

Actually the complete opposite is happening. From a PR perspective, the yesterday and this morning are a complete shit show. You've now had the father on national television telling the nation that are illiterate.

Cummings was actually supposed to leave a while ago, long before the election was called. There are rumours he's actually not working for the Tories any more.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Admit it, you only ever care about lies told by people you disagree with ...

The Washington Post factchecker has Trump up to 13435 untruths in 993 days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/

Boris has supported a lie on the side of bus during the Leave campaign. He lied about an extra-marrital affair in 2014. Junker said he lied constantly during the referendum campaign. The Mirror (yes, I know) has already compiled his biggest 15 lies of the campaign so far.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-15-biggest-lies-20916642

And he won't even let Channel 4 or Andrew Neill grill him on it, What DOES he have to hide?

As a contrast I posted a while back on this thread that there were some politiciants I felt were scrupulous and honest. Caroline Lucas was one, Bercow another. Not a single person came back to refute those claims with examples. (sorry, it's REBUKE isn't it, we can't have NSC posters going around using the correct terminology like some metropolitan elite throwbacks).

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for pulling me back into this debate.

Now, before we get going, were you being sincere or sarcastic? If it's the former, then I have no superior intellect. If it's the latter, then I'm happy to debate whatever point/post it is you are referring to.

I am still a remainer, but as with all things Brexit, nothing is black and white. Unfortunately, Mr Johnson and Mr Farage treat everything like it is black and white which is why their political positions are so much easier to communicate.

For me, I think Brexit will happen and has to happen. We are in such a damaged state, politically that we have to leave to see the sense of staying in. I believe it was a point that I made pretty soon after the referendum. We are so divided that we need to separate ourselves in order to pull ourselves together. However, we will reach the conclusion that we are weaker outside the EU than we were when we held a highly influential place in one of the biggest trading blocs in the world. But, to heal the divisions, I think leaving is necessary.

That said, I will continue to go on Peoples Vote marches; I'll continue to argue for why we should remain; I'll even vote remain if there is a second referendum, because I know it will cause the country pain.

Can I just check how you equate thinking we have to leave and your going on People's Vote marches?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Washington Post factchecker has Trump up to 13435 untruths in 993 days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/

Boris has supported a lie on the side of bus during the Leave campaign. He lied about an extra-marrital affair in 2014. Junker said he lied constantly during the referendum campaign. The Mirror (yes, I know) has already compiled his biggest 15 lies of the campaign so far.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-15-biggest-lies-20916642

And he won't even let Channel 4 or Andrew Neill grill him on it, What DOES he have to hide?

As a contrast I posted a while back on this thread that there were some politiciants I felt were scrupulous and honest. Caroline Lucas was one, Bercow another. Not a single person came back to refute those claims with examples. (sorry, it's REBUKE isn't it, we can't have NSC posters going around using the correct terminology like some metropolitan elite throwbacks).

I'm not arguing politicians don't tell lies/mislead/spin. I was pointing out that the people who seem most outraged by lies on here have a tendency to only identify lies made by people they disapprove of politically speaking while completely ignoring their sides fibs which suggests they aren't that bothered about lying after all. I'm sure even St Caroline (definitely Bercow - he's a Tory right?!)has said a few things that at the very least could be interpreted as misleading.

Boris has been doing press conferences answering questions and a long interview this morning but I have already said he should do the Neil interview. Bit of an unnecessary OG.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you're still planning to vote Tory after all this evidence, you may as well go jump off beachy head

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not arguing politicians don't tell lies/mislead/spin. I was pointing out that the people who seem most outraged by lies on here have a tendency to only identify lies made by people they disapprove of politically speaking while completely ignoring their sides fibs which suggests they aren't that bothered about lying after all. I'm sure even St Caroline (definitely Bercow - he's a Tory right?!)has said a few things that at the very least could be interpreted as misleading.

Boris has been doing press conferences answering questions and a long interview this morning but I have already said he should do the Neil interview. Bit of an unnecessary OG.

Most outrage is from lies that are actually made from the government of the country, because, well they're actually governing the country. :shrug:

A lie about what might happen in the future is only a lie if you know you are categorically not going to do it. A promise might be fanciful, but it doesn't make it a lie. If you present a lie and you are actually running the country, then of course the outrage is more profound. Was the outrage toward Tony Blair only confined to Tories? Of course it wasn't, that is exactly why we have the Labour Party we have today - the outrage was more profound from within the party.

You're a spin artist yourself as you are only ever interested in the defamation of the opposition, you never promote the positives of the party or policies you actually support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here