• Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/180...-poll-kemptown-shows-labour-lose-seat-tories/

..... looking like Labour will lose one of their two Brighton & Hove seats. Fantastic that the weasel will be out - but educated Hove? Come on ..... !

A number of Green voters will run with Labour. I suspect a lot of Liberals will know that they cannot win the seat and vote Labour too.

There will also be some vote swaps between Greens and.Labour over the two constituencies in Brighton.

It's not looking like anything. Although it is unpredictable.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You really are a DURR BRAIN.

Of course I had to use the fast services in rush hour as I was working in an office in the centre of town. When do you think they want you in? 3am? Ten past one in the afternoon? Normal routine would have been 07:23 from Euston to New St and a train around about 5ish back.

And yes, the SOURCE of the survey on the BBC is Which magazine because they tend to run things like consumer data surveys :facepalm:

But I didn't read Which, I summarised the data findings in the BBC link which correlated with my own experiences of dreadful rail service in the West Midland.

Shame Andy Street didn't save Kane Walker eh?

Most people with any sense would travel off-peak the previous evening,and use the saving on ticket price for an overnight stay,so getting to work on time,fully rested,unstressed and able to put in a decent day's work.Each to their own.:thumbsup:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A number of Green voters will run with Labour. I suspect a lot of Liberals will know that they cannot win the seat and vote Labour too.

There will also be some vote swaps between Greens and.Labour over the two constituencies in Brighton.

It's not looking like anything. Although it is unpredictable.

something remarkable is the projectd votes have the Conservatives lose votes and % but win the seat, which seems unlikely. though looking further Green didnt stand last time, and large Liberal and Brexit vote swings it to Conservative.

looked at the topical West Brom East seat (Watson's) and its a similar story. Conservative -1% but Labour -18% turns the seat blue. if this is the pattern begin to see why they were keen on the election and Labour weren't. depends on the Liberal and Brexit Party vote, presumably coming from Labour. tactical voting will very significant.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Really surprised nobody has mentioned Mark Lancaster,the Milton Keynes MP resigning over death threats.Is it because he is a Tory and supports Brexit?I understand it has been on twitter.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Had a Dominic Grieve standing as an independent leaflet through door tonight, that alone is weird given he’s such a Tory Big Wig. What with likes of Tom Watson leaving Labour and Boris up against extinction rebellion...this general election campaign just underlines how our politics is in tatters, turmoil daily.

I’m voting green anyhow if they’re standing in my constituency. Pensions, health, education...all seem a bit pointless if we don’t stop climate change.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Really surprised nobody has mentioned Mark Lancaster,the Milton Keynes MP resigning over death threats.Is it because he is a Tory and supports Brexit?I understand it has been on twitter.

Maybe because he didn't actually say that?

https://www.lancaster4mk.com/news/general-election-statement He said: “This has not been an easy decision, but all good things come to an end. Whilst I would have dearly loved to have seen my constituents’ wishes delivered and Brexit finally secured on my watch, an early General Election has brought me to the conclusion that, after 15 years, now is the right time to seek new challenges. It is time for somebody else to pick up the baton.” At the end of his statement he said “Finally, as I leave the stage, may I simply offer a plea? The politics of today, with all its anger, abuse and in my own case, two threats on my life, is not the politics we want or need for our great country."

His statement does not say he is not standing because of death threats.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's been in the papers. To be clear at least one of the death threats allegedly came from on an individual who has sent them to a variety of MPs and peers of all political persuasions.

I say allegedly because he in court today and will go on trial next year.

The newspapers have written the story as if he is leaving in part because of death threats, but his statement (from which they made the story) reads quite differently.

As horrible as it is, it appears to have nothing to do with Brexit. In fact only one of the alleged victims voted leave.

So the answer to your question is probably no.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Most people with any sense would travel off-peak the previous evening,and use the saving on ticket price for an overnight stay,so getting to work on time,fully rested,unstressed and able to put in a decent day's work.Each to their own.:thumbsup:

Perhaps he has a family who like him, and who he enjoys spending evenings with :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
something remarkable is the projectd votes have the Conservatives lose votes and % but win the seat, which seems unlikely. though looking further Green didnt stand last time, and large Liberal and Brexit vote swings it to Conservative.

looked at the topical West Brom East seat (Watson's) and its a similar story. Conservative -1% but Labour -18% turns the seat blue. if this is the pattern begin to see why they were keen on the election and Labour weren't. depends on the Liberal and Brexit Party vote, presumably coming from Labour. tactical voting will very significant.

Our electoral system is broken.

The 1983 election is the best example I can think of. Thatcher's support was 1.5% down on the previous vote but the Tories won a landslide. It was, inevitably, hailed as an endorsement- but the reality is it wasn't.

The SDP had carved up Labour's vote.

Both the Tories and Labour will never address the truth that as long as we don't have PR then parliament is not representative. Although recently it hasn't been as bad.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Aye...but is it worth replying to a poster (the latter) who is just a troll with not one post about Brighton football club :]
How am I a Troll?

Noun : "a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post."

Weird.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Yes you seem pretty weird
And by definition, you are now a troll.

Throwing accusations around without knowing the meaning of your words you use.

Sound like the type of voter those Tory rich boys are relying on to con themselves back into power. Have a nice day.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
to buy those shares will require est. £196bn debt raised from markets. that would pay a yield at similar rate to dividend, and require paying back at maturity.

the Keynsian model is to borrow when times are tight (specifcally in recession) and then pay back the debt as the economy recovers. the borrowed money should go into infrastructure and improvments that increase productivity. nationalisation achieves none of this.

I am not going to argue with you on whether or not it fits with Keynsian economics, all I am saying is that Corbyn would be buying an asset or assets with the money which over time should pay off the debt incurred in buying them, or in the case of Railways, reduce the annual subsidy from the treasury. It may take a long while, but the loans would be buying the means to repay the loans. Unless the income or saving gained is less than the cost of borrowing.
I know that last year, Labour were estimating that they would pay around £15Bn to Nationalise the water industry, whereas others were saying it would cost £44Bn, of course the valuation is going to be key as to whether it is a good move, and underpaying could be bad for the UK as many UK Pensions are invested in Utilities. But this argument sounds very much to me like the one over the introduction of a minimum wage for the UK, Tories were screaming that it would put businesses under and people would lose jobs, which if the minimum wage had been set to £30 per hour it would have done, but it wasn't and it didn't, it is about the numbers being right as to whether it is a good idea or not, and though it is not a priority for me, I don't see it as a disaster policy either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And by definition, you are now a troll.

Throwing accusations around without knowing the meaning of your words you use.

Sound like the type of voter those Tory rich boys are relying on to con themselves back into power. Have a nice day.

Kind of you to wish me a nice day with just the 33 minutes left...and you haven’t a clue as to who I’ll be voting for...good evening...what’s left of it troll (defined by your last post)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
How is renationalising the railways progressive or forward-thinking? That would cost money this country doesn't have.

As opposed to the millions now being totally wasted on the massively over budget HS2 and Crossrail, which is also years late.
I agree we need both but take a look at the overspend, it's eye watering.
May as well make what we have got cheaper and much more efficient.
Don't be scared of nationalisation, it's not 1970 anymore, privatisation has not worked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here