Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Its no different for UK businesses who do all their trade internally. Business is flat and depressed. There is no investment taking place and the general public are spending less. Three and a half years of doom- mongering has had an effect. Its dragged the economy into a depressive state and scared a lot of people shitless.
There has to be resolve and fast, otherwise a lot of businesses will be closing their doors in 2020.

So, for the sake of business, you're backing the Lib Dems ?

It's certainly the quickest resolution, but a bit too radical for me. That's why I prefer the second referendum route. I believe if that gives a significant result of remain (more than 52/48) and article 50 is withdrawn it's a far better option long term.

Definitely the worst option would be a Conservative majority with Johnson pressing ahead into another 10 years of further extensions, further negotiations of trade deals, threats of 'no deal' in order to get a 'good deal', no indication of future tariffs and all the bluff and bluster that would go with that. How any business is supposed to try and navigate through that I have no idea. I agree with you totally, that would be the death knell for a lot more businesses :down:

Last edited:

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Council tax more likely to go up under Conservatives than Labour or Lib Dems, Institute for Fiscal Studies suggests

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has published a briefing on the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat plans for local government funding. This is not an issue that has attracted much attention in the campaign so far, but it deserves some focus because councils provide vital services – and the gap between what’s on offer from the Tories and Labour is vast.

Although the Conservatives claim to be a low-tax party, under their plans it is more likely that council tax would have to rise, the IFS suggests.

That may well be true but to be a balanced view you would need to include IFS views on Corporation Tax, Income Tax, etc.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
So, for the sake of business, you're backing the Lib Dems ?

It's certainly the quickest resolution, but a bit too radical for me. That's why I prefer the second referendum route. I believe if that gives a significant result of remain (more than 52/48) and article 50 is withdrawn it's a far better option long term.

Definitely the worst option would be a Conservative majority with Johnson pressing ahead into another 10 years of further extensions, further negotiations of trade deals, threats of 'no deal' in order to get a 'good deal', no indication of future tariffs and all the bluff and bluster that would go with that. How any business is supposed to try and navigate through that I have no idea. I agree with you totally, that would be the death knell for a lot more businesses :down:

.... and so you don't think hiking up Corporation Tax on small business will not sound the death knell for quite a few?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
.... and so you don't think hiking up Corporation Tax on small business will not sound the death knell for quite a few?

I certainty didn't say that :shrug:

If Labour got a majority the tax changes would certainly hit businesses big and small (that being the intention). Whether that would be a bigger impact on the economy than spending the next 10 years with Johnson negotiating his 'oven ready Brexit' I would happily argue, if there was any point.

But do you think Labour will get a majority ? I certainly don't.

Last edited:

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
That may well be true but to be a balanced view you would need to include IFS views on Corporation Tax, Income Tax, etc.

I agree, but the IFS is at odds with other think tanks so it's not clear cut.

Tory policy has somehow changed council tax into a government stealth tax. The residents will blame the councils for the rises while the Gov saves a mint, but the people save nothing.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Confirming what we already knew.

Even with a media advantage Labour are still closing the gap. It's really quite remarkable.

General election: British newspapers' attacks on Labour have intensified while Tories continue to get positive coverage, study finds

Labour faced overwhelmingly negative coverage in the first week with a -71.17 ranking, dropping to -71.96 in the second week and -75.79 last week.

Watch more

Election coverage becoming increasingly 'presidential'
This compared to a positive +29.98 for the Conservatives in the first week, falling to +17.86 in the second week and +15.87 in the third week.

"The high levels of newspaper negativity towards Labour identified in the first week of the campaign were sustained into week 2 and increased marginally in week 3," the report said.

The remaining parties fluctuated around the baseline, with the Lib Dems ranging from -15 in the first week, to +6 the second week and -11 last week. The SNP remained between -4 and -6, while the Brexit Party went from -20 to -2.35 during that time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-labour-tories-bias-press-polls-a9229161.html

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Even with a media advantage Labour are still closing the gap. It's really quite remarkable.

General election: British newspapers' attacks on Labour have intensified while Tories continue to get positive coverage, study finds

Labour faced overwhelmingly negative coverage in the first week with a -71.17 ranking, dropping to -71.96 in the second week and -75.79 last week.

Watch more

This compared to a positive +29.98 for the Conservatives in the first week, falling to +17.86 in the second week and +15.87 in the third week.

"The high levels of newspaper negativity towards Labour identified in the first week of the campaign were sustained into week 2 and increased marginally in week 3," the report said.

The remaining parties fluctuated around the baseline, with the Lib Dems ranging from -15 in the first week, to +6 the second week and -11 last week. The SNP remained between -4 and -6, while the Brexit Party went from -20 to -2.35 during that time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-labour-tories-bias-press-polls-a9229161.html

Yep always going to happen as the media is run by a few rich people. Corbyn will not owe them any thing so could be an interesting time if he is elected. I just hope that the traditional printed press is losing it's manipulation over the public.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Watch more

That's before this weekends events like the Marr interview and refusing to be interviewed by Neil

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Free broadband, free train travel, free tickets to the moon.

I'm in.

I'm sure we can organise some kind of whip round on here so you get a free trip to the moon, probably not enough for a return ticket though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yep always going to happen as the media is run by a few rich people. Corbin will not owe them any thing so could be an interesting time if he is elected. I just hope that the traditional printed press is losing it's manipulation over the public.

There are an awful lot of people who are not rich, who happen to possess a brain who do not want Corbyn as PM !
Not everyone is easily manipulated by the traditional printed press and many never even buy a paper!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its no different for UK businesses who do all their trade internally. Business is flat and depressed. There is no investment taking place and the general public are spending less. Three and a half years of doom- mongering has had an effect. Its dragged the economy into a depressive state and scared a lot of people shitless.
There has to be resolve and fast, otherwise a lot of businesses will be closing their doors in 2020.

The fastest way out of the mess is a hung parliament, a second referendum and Brexit cancelled, this might be able to be achieved inside 12 months.

The alternative is a count down to no deal on 31st December 2020, unless Boris is telling another lie

As for investment in the UK gonna take a while before it returns, who wants to invest in a country that seems all too willing to turn itself back on half its trade? Ask Tesla why they went for Berlin instead of Blackpool...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
There are an awful lot of people who are not rich, who happen to possess a brain who do not want Corbyn as PM !
Not everyone is easily manipulated by the traditional printed press and many never even buy a paper!

Hopefully there a lot of people not manipulated by the press who do not want a serial lair as PM as well.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Unfortunately FAR TOO many thick working class people still do buy The Mail and The Express and suck up the pro-Tory shite they spout. Fortunately a lot of them probably don’t bother voting is the only saving grace.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Watch more

last weeks newspapers in a nutshell.

: Corbyn , " I utterly condemn racism and bigotry everywhere and I have spent most of my life fighting it " = Corbyn is an Anti-Semite

: Johnson , " A lot of people have been trawling up quotes from me which go back many many years and have been misinterpreted or misunderstood " = Johnson for PM !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here